Teryx HQ banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after Long Travel, Cage, Seats, harnesses, and Intercom and radio for the teryx, my TOy budget is shot for this riding season, however I do need ot Rejet the bad boy this christmas break before new years. is the hunter kit the way to go for a Stock Intake and exhaust machine? I will eventually go with a Dual exhaust nad intake set up and will then put it on a dyno to jet it properly but no need to go that far wiht it right now.

Most of my riding is done at or near sea level in the southern california deserts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I am very happy with my Hunterworks Kit. I bought a aFE intake but did not use it as the HW kit comes with TPI valves to help the stock box flow like we need it to. Only other thing you may want is to get the UNI filter element to put in your stock box. I have 2 and rotate them in and out so I can clean and re-oil them as needed and I always have a clean one ready to be installed. Works great.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just from reading all the other posts, my opinion is the HW kit works best, I've read MULTIPLE post stating T-rex owners are having problems with the AFE kits.
Now to say that the AFE is totally bad is unwise - because I am quite certain that some people are getting them to work properly in certain applications.
If you are leaving stock intake box, HW kit is the only way to go...because...
One of the best things about the HW kit is the TPI valves IMO, I do not do much altitude changing - none in fact, but with the TPI valves I have been able to adjust my air flow with the outside dependent variables; such as -temperature changes-humidty changes-barometric pressure changes- and that is why I love the TPI valves.
I was fortunate enough to buy the A/F gauge which makes tuning the carb a snap, with the A/F gauge, I had determined that the clip needed to be in the second position long ago. Which saved me alot of time and headache....I would buy the HW kit.
No need to put it on the dyno (?) to jet it properly.
I would just buy the A/F gauge.It's only money..:D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Just from reading all the other posts, my opinion is the HW kit works best, I've read MULTIPLE post stating T-rex owners are having problems with the AFE kits.
Now to say that the AFE is totally bad is unwise - because I am quite certain that some people are getting them to work properly in certain applications.
If you are leaving stock intake box, HW kit is the only way to go...because...
One of the best things about the HW kit is the TPI valves IMO, I do not do much altitude changing - none in fact, but with the TPI valves I have been able to adjust my air flow with the outside dependent variables; such as -temperature changes-humidty changes-barometric pressure changes- and that is why I love the TPI valves.
I was fortunate enough to buy the A/F gauge which makes tuning the carb a snap, with the A/F gauge, I had determined that the clip needed to be in the second position long ago. Which saved me alot of time and headache....I would buy the HW kit.
No need to put it on the dyno (?) to jet it properly.
I would just buy the A/F gauge.It's only money..:D
+1 on the Air Fuel Ratio Meter. I have my Teryx running GREAT, I have used it on two other ATV's and both of those are running much better as well. My Vinson I sold is running stronger with the stock exhaust than it was with my jetting without the A/F Meter and a HMF slipon... go figure...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have an afr meter but its just for my vrod. dont fill like modding it or dump a tone of cash again. whats the best bang for the buck you guys know of?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Best bang for the buck is hte HW kit. Even without the A/F Meter you will get more performance from the HW kit. With the A/F Meter you can fine tune the HW kit to your riding conditions. That is it in a nutshell.

·
Registered
780 Posts
got any info on what you use to put in a a/f guage? like which one did you use, sender unit etc?
i know i am new to this carb stuff and sure others are too.
thanks

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
got any info on what you use to put in a a/f guage? like which one did you use, sender unit etc?
i know i am new to this carb stuff and sure others are too.
thanks
This thread shows the bungs and plugs as well as the sensor from the NGK meter in my Muzzy's front and rear #2 headpipes.
http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/kawasaki-teryx-performance-discussions/940-pics-fuel-air-ratio-gauge-header-sensor-weld-bungs-plugs.html

I have the NGK from Hunterworks and also the WEGO III from Muzzy's that does graphing and I prefer the WEGO III but the NGK works fine as well. The sensors are identical between the two with the only difference being how they are wired. I believe they are VW Oxygen sensors but not 100% sure and they are pre-heated.

Here is a post that shows using the NGK and WEGO III units on my Teryx and the associated graphs from the WEGO.

http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/kawasaki-teryx-general-discussions/764-sputter-sound-exhaust.html#post7425

There are also a few posts in this thread where jetting using the A/F meter is described.
http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/kawasaki-teryx-performance-discussions/1167-ordered-muzzy-exhaust-system.html

In this post I explain the test ride and show a WEGO III graph that I marked on for emphasis.
http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/kawasaki-teryx-performance-discussions/1167-ordered-muzzy-exhaust-system.html#post7719

You are going to LOVE how your machine runs after using the meter.
Here is what my Teryx sounds like now. :)

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Sleepy,

On the NGK we sell, all you have to do is weld in the bungs in the exhaust pipe. The gauge does not stay on all the time, you hold it in your hand.

Screw in the sensor and then connect to battery via two alligator clips and that is it.

Imdubious,

What kind of A/F gauge you want is purely preference. Magellan likes his data logging one better.

I actually have three, the NGK, a data logging from Innovate and one on our dyno. I really prefer the NGK for a simple down and dirty number.

I don't care for having to go down load the graph and then doing something.

I simply ride down the road with the NGK watch the gauge numbers and see how it fluctuates from 12.5 to 13 from idle all the way thru full throttle moving the pedal slowly. If I see the numbers go up to high or low at any particular throttle position I then know what I need to adjust to get it right.

Besides the NGK is about a $75 less

The innovate I have was $500 and it sits on the shelf.

·
Registered
59 Posts
thanks todd for the help just starting this project so all the advise is helpful.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I think people on here will vouch for Hunterworks, we will shoot you straight and work with you to get what you need and then carry thru after the sale too!!
Todd is telling the truth, I am very pleased with the stuff I have bought and the service I have received from Hunterworks. Good guy to deal with, I wish all vendors I deal with were this way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think people on here will vouch for Hunterworks, we will shoot you straight and work with you to get what you need and then carry thru after the sale too!!
You care almost the exact parts for the setup i am looking to get. i already bought the muzzy and jet kit. trying to get a harness for my vdi to mack it work on the teryx. if not i will be ordering the cdi witht the cluuth kit and overdrive plate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts