Teryx HQ banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if any of you have used the new K&N replacement filter for the 08 Teryx?

I have the std bore kit in mine with factory filter and I was told that when K&N came out with one to buy it, that it would be a good filter to have over the stock filter.

·
Registered
207 Posts
K&N Filter

You have me worried Todd. I installed a kit from Dragon Fire last spring. It has the billit adapter and a Filter Skins over the filter. Is this what your talking about or is my kit OK. So far I have'nt noticed anything getting past.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Over the past few years we have had several customers say they had to rebuild their top end due to dirt and they had the K&N filters.

There are people who smoke for 75 years and don't get cancer either but why chance it.

Take a look at the filter below that had 250 miles on it and it was oiled properly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have also heard that the K&N (in this application) lets sand and other small perticles pass thru, and you need to use a filter sock, or "wrap" it in the UNI filter...I just got the UNI instead...why buy 2 filters...and, I even have a hookup at K&N... Good Facts Todd!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a brand new filter for 08-09 Kawasaki Part#KA 7508, it fits inside of the stock airbox. I could see if it was exsposed to the elements with no airbox that it wouldn't work I don't think any filter would work like that.

Let me know what you think?

·
Registered
293 Posts
get an outerwear for it,and clean it and you will be fine

·
Registered
430 Posts
Over the past few years we have had several customers say they had to rebuild their top end due to dirt and they had the K&N filters.

There are people who smoke for 75 years and don't get cancer either but why chance it.

Take a look at the filter below that had 250 miles on it and it was oiled properly.

Todd we have banged heads on this before so I guess we just have to agree to disagree on the filter thing, but there is no way that filter was oiled properly there is barly any oil on it and you can see fibers sticking out like it was twisted. Either way I am sure if you have done dyno testing that the K&N will always make more power with proper jetting than a foam filter will. For what it is worth I have run K&N filters on everything I have in sand and silt and no motor failures do to dirt or dand in the engine. A K&N will work just fine when cleaned, oiled and most importantly installed correctly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Todd the reason I ask if it was in the factory airbox is what if you ran the Uni or the stock filter exposed how long do you think they would last? I don't think the Uni is a bad investment, I've just always ran K&N in every thing I own(always gained power), I just didn't want to run one without using the stock airbox or seeing if anyone else has ran the K&N the way I'm wanting to run it.

I appreciate everyone's input, and the filter is here I just didn't get a chance to get the bike out this weekend. I will post later this week on how this works in the factory box.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I guess my point is if there is is a margin of error with the filter why not go with one that surely does better than cotton gauze type.

I was just trying to help. I heard too many stories about them letting dirt past and engines getting rebuilt because of it.

This filter was properly oiled, it was on a desert race rhino and the filter was used one time in a 250mile race then removed.

As I said before there are people who smoked for 75 years and never got cancer but are you going to take that chance?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I have had a K & N filter on some of my quads. I clean it before every ride and install it correctly. I have had dirt get past it. I run more mud/dirt/dust than sand.
That being said, I am happy I have one in my Camaro.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts