Teryx HQ banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am starting this thread for process, ideas and pictures for painting your Teryx plastic yourself. I have used the Krylon Fusion for Plastic spray paint on mine. The results on the hood were great. I already got some of the paint chipping off one of the fenders probably due to me not prepping the plastic and not using a clear coat.

According to Krylon no prep is needed other than cleaning the plastic and also no clear is needed. There are several threads on another forum website for Rhino's about this. Total cost should be around $50-60 for paint, clear and prep materials. I picked up my paint at Walmart and they had most of the colors available there. I am currently about to paint my plastic over again.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Rough up the plastic (not to rough but scuff it)
2. Thoroughly clean the plastic with alcohol, paint thinner, others cleaners that will not leave residue behind and then wash with water and make sure plastic is completely dry before painting.
3. Paint the plastics using very even stokes and distance from the plastic. This can be a challenge so take your time and do it carefully
4. Very lightly sand or wet sand between coats and clean plastic with water and dry before applying new coat
5. Paint is dry to touch within 20-1 hour. Krylon says to apply additional coats within 1 hour or after 1 week. It takes a week for the paint to fully bond with the plastic.
6. Possibly wet sand before applying clear
7. Use clear coat for chip resistance and strength which can be bought at many auto parts stores and in different sheens. Krylon does not require a clear but it seems the Rhino guys that have done this already have had best results whenusing a clear and it looks better as well.

I am in no way and expert at this, so any additional comments and suggestions are definitely welcome.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I am assuming to removed all the plastics and painted both sides, yes?

I am tempted to give this a try, maybe not as a permanent thing, but to see how it looks. Now you did or did not paint the tailgate?

Curious to know if they have a matte black finish?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hey thnks for the post that is very interesting. Not sure I have the guts to paint mine but I was thinking about doing something with the hood. Maybe some black or something to make it differant than everyone elses. I don't want to paint the entire hood just maybe a part of it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you need to remove the plastic. I painted the hood, side fenders and the tailgate. I do beleive they have a flat black.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Thanks, I may have to check it out :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Dang I thought it was sponge painting or a faux finish lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
how does it work with the plastic flexing? auto paints have flex additives that are for movement. like on new cars plastic bumpers. let us know how this works. Chad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have seen Glamisrobs Teryx at Glamis and I must say it looked great!

I think the paint look is cool but I know I would screw it up out in the desert. Heck, I would probably destroy it just putting the cage back on! haha. Therefore, I was down at my local kawi dealer and they said I could pick up a new front hood, any color they offer, for around $200. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I wasnt too impressed with the aftermarket bodies so I think I am going that route!

·
Registered
780 Posts
did you not want to use any plastic primer first?
i think it is duplicolor that makes a sandable plastic primer that hwas worked real well on all the plastic i have sprayed.

for the aftermarket body omment: did you check out Maier? I will try to get my pics up soon, theirs dont exactly do the teryx justice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I painted my hood flat black last week with fusion paint, it was very easy to do. I didn't take the hood off. I washed it with simple green and then soap and water to get the wax and any oils off, then I followed the instructions on the can and wiped it down with paint thinner. I masked it and removed the screws along the dash. I sprayed it with several coats. The whole process took about 2 hours including painting the bedsides. So far it looks great, If you do a search on Rhino forums.com for fusion paint , everyone says that it holds up great. I'll let you know if it doesn't hold up. Worst case, I'll paint it again, or spend 200 bucks and get a black hood from Kawasaki. I used less than one can.

·
Registered
293 Posts
you have any close up pics of the paint job?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I screwed it up today. it looked good but it had a few dull spots, so i spray another coat today and it wrinkled by the head light about a 3 inch square area. It's my fault i should have spent more time getting good coverage the first time. I read that this happens if you don't wait at least two weeks before respraying but I did it anyways and it lifted the original paint. I repainted the bad area and i have to wet sand it now to make it smooth. It looks worse than it did now. I can fix it but it will take extra work.

·
Registered
780 Posts
post up some pics...my father in law has decided to paint his flat black.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't have any pic's but I sanded out the wrinkles and re painted and it looks awesome. It's perfect, satin black, it matches the bed perfect after i removed the red stickers, I even painted the plastic under the seats and it came out great.
My tip for painting your hood is to have it real clean and lint free, wipe it with paint thinner like they recommend, then have 2 or 3 cans preshaken and ready to go. ( the reason for this is that once the flow out of the can starts to sputter, it changes the sheen and becomes inconsistent and cloudy, as soon as it starts sputtering, switch cans and you will have consistent and even coverage). Do light coats, let it dry about 4 minutes between coats and do about 4 or 5 coats to make sure you have good coverage. You want to make sure you have full coverage and do it all at once, If you go back the next day or day after, your paint may wrinkle like mine did and that is a p.i.t.a. So don't stop until you have 4 or 5 coats and good coverage.

·
Registered
293 Posts
thanks for the tips,ill be doing mine soon

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just as an update. Mine has held up pretty well so far. I do have 2 problem areas which is on both side fenders around the taillights. I am not sure why other than I think the plastic flexes a bit there when the tailgate is closed. Nice thing is it is fairly easy to touch up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
anyone have any close up pics yet?im looking at just doing the middle of the hood

·
Registered
293 Posts
got mine painted,turned out pretty good

·
Registered
282 Posts
any pics yet??? i am real interested in trying this...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts