Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, let me start with my disclaimer and say that i told my inlaws i would post this question.....
i want to see what the people around here respond with.

ME: 08 le with Muzzy duals, dynajet cdi, HW carbkit, unifilter, been rejetted and tuned with AF gauge....22hrs

Inlaws: 08 Base with home-made muffler mods..31hrs

from a dead stop, i get pulled by a car length up into 40+ mph and then ran out of room to pass

from a 15mph rolling take off, i can pull by what looked to be 2+ lengths.

so let me ask, how the heck did i loose that much low end with mods that were suppose to be the greatest thing out there?

i am not pissed by loosing to them because i know how good they are at the things they do. what i am pissed about is the sorry performance these mods provided on the low end.

so, comments, suggestions, rebuttals????

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
In theory it is the pipe. Hard to gain everywhere with one exhaust system.

So if I understand it right they actually only beat you from 0-15 if your going 15 to start with then you smoke them from there all the way thru.

When not drag racing and you were to say cross country race or trail race which would be normal style riding then you would smoke them.

Belt adjustment could have something to do with it too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
that dont seem right to me,maybe your isnt broke in yet?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Are you loading up the belt/clutch system like an automatic tranny in a vehicle when drag racing? Do you have your foot on the brake and the other on the gas ready to launch? -because if you don't and they do than they are getting that extra 1 second off the start until you get you clutch engaged, there is always some delay. Just don't do it for too long or you won't have a belt for too long! I would think you should be ahead the entire time. Let us know!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Are you sure it's only a homemade muffler mod?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Performance

I think Todd makes a good point and was everthing the same as far as tires, if so my thoughts are when you pipe you need to clutch for the pipe. We came up with a very effective and fairly inexspensive clutch set up for Rhino's (less than $100.00) and now are working something similar for the Teryx. The Teryx is at the dealer waiting on a new case when I get it back I will post up results.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, well this was our first drag race. we raced thru the field. from the 15mph rolling start, i stay in the lead. from a dead stop, i got pulled a bike length immediately and never gained but never lost anymore in the distance we had.

difference in tires is I have ITP mudlites on 12" itp ss108 rims, he has stock rims and tires. both are size 26.
muffler mods are home-made.
honestly, for the riding we do, i am not so concerned with top end, but rather need more low end.

·
Registered
430 Posts
ok, well this was our first drag race. we raced thru the field. from the 15mph rolling start, i stay in the lead. from a dead stop, i got pulled a bike length immediately and never gained but never lost anymore in the distance we had.

difference in tires is I have ITP mudlites on 12" itp ss108 rims, he has stock rims and tires. both are size 26.
muffler mods are home-made.
honestly, for the riding we do, i am not so concerned with top end, but rather need more low end.
Since you have Todds jet kit I would get on the phone with him and go over every deatail of you intake and jetting maybe there is some power to gain there. Also your mud lites and wheels are heavier that the stock tire's and steel wheel's and 26 inch mud lites are taller than the stock 26 inch tires which relates to hp.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i bought everything from todd except for the exhaust, which i got from a forum member selling his, so i almost feel guilty in calling him.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You need to buy a clutch kit and you will feel the low end punch. $190 and you can have the EPI.
Or $360 for Dalton kit. If you have the money Dalton is the Nike tennis shoes of Teryx clutches.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
What AFR's are you getting with the A/F meter at idle and midrange? I think you are to rich if a stock machine can hang with you.

Get the Dalton Clutch and Cover it is the clear choice for trail riding.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Did you change the gas pedal spring, asking because I noticed the quick response from take off dropped on mine when I changed the spring. Also when you removed carbs and put back on, did you check your throttle linkage? My throttle linkage needed adjusting when I put mine back together, just a couple things I would check.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Did you change the gas pedal spring, asking because I noticed the quick response from take off dropped on mine when I changed the spring. Also when you removed carbs and put back on, did you check your throttle linkage? My throttle linkage needed adjusting when I put mine back together, just a couple things I would check.
Good point!! I also had to readjust my throttle linkage at the carbs because I was not getting full anymore after removal to rejet the first time!! I forgot about that. :good:

·
Registered
15 Posts
lackluster perf.

sleepy the other guys have some good info on possible solutions , i put todds carb kit in with prog. cdi stock exhaust 27 swamp lites on 14" wheels jetted with recomendation for my altitude (western ky ) rode on 70 degree day was piggish jetted down twice and made a big difference its a hoss now for stock exhaust can feel and hear difference big time , jetting is trial and error fat is slow too lean will cost alot of green !! anyway at first thought it was a waste of time and money but just had to get it right for my conditions . thank goodness for Todd and Maggelan !!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What AFR's are you getting with the A/F meter at idle and midrange? I think you are to rich if a stock machine can hang with you.

Get the Dalton Clutch and Cover it is the clear choice for trail riding.
i was pretty much dead on at idle and a little rich otherwise. but with it being cold..i am fine with being a little fat.

didnt replace the spring, but also dont remember checking the throttle linkage either.

did find out he was on the clutch while i was just straight pedal, so that may have been a big difference.

he got his new tires today, so may go down and race again this weekend.
i will defiantly check these things out and then report back and maybe give a few of you a call.

I do want the clutch kit, but would prefer to do it when/if i do a bore kit which wold be June timeframe atbest unless the bore kits go on sale again.

and just to be clear, we both have teryxs

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sleepy - how about the weight of the machines? Do you have a full cage, seats, etc... anything heavier than the other or is everything identical except for the tires and the engine mods??? So many variables it is hard to say ...as long as mine is the fastest it doesn't matter!!!:D:laugh::D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts