Teryx HQ banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the Lowrance Baja units are discontinued and they don't really seem to have anything to take their place. Are people going with something else now or just still buying what is left of the Baja. I doesn't seem right to be buying something that is already discontinued.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I did confirm that they are discontinued, and that is really a shock. In addition, Lowrance has not come out with any replacement for it either. I know some have been using the Lowrance XOG.

XOG | Lowrance

Talking with some others, the Garmin Nuvi's have been becoming popular as well:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Nuvi in my truck. Maybe I should just use that thing in the Teryx too. There is no way the stock mount is going to work though. It just has a friction ball mount. That thing would be all over the place. Also I don't think the Nuvi is weather proofed at all. I thougt it would be nice to have a big screen but I might just end up going with one of the waterproof hand helds I guess like the Garmin 60csx or something.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am using a eagle 502c which is the lowrance sister company and it is way easier to use. but no one can tell the difference .

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I believe the XOG from Lowrance is weather proof.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not that it is as big , but Garmin has one called the Colorado. I believe it's loaded with the US topo maps. Plus , there are crossover types now to use in the car and offroad. The screens are'nt as big as the Lowrance though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
yes the 540c has been discontinued but you can still find them. very few left. the reason they did this is for the replacement model which should be available first of april. same sizes i believe but they are high def. nolt sure why you need it but they are going for about 200-250 more.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I saw the Lowrance High Def. Marine series GPS at the sportsmen show last weekend. It had 3 screens of various sizes, marine topographical maps, and plug and play for all the guages (speed, temp, voltage.....) I wish they would do something similar for the offroad market but made for dry land.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Looks like it is based off the Marine HDS version. Hopefully you can get bigger screens in the future.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems like the cheapest 450C I could find was almost $500 now and I saw this new one in the low $600. I would definitely get the new one for like $150 more if I was going to get one. The problem is I am not even sure if I want to spend that much. As cool as they are it just seems to me like one of the waterproof handhelds that are only like $200 or less will get the job done just fine. I only need something to make sure I can find my way back to camp if I get lost or download my tracks when I get home or find my way to a cool site or something. I am not trying to stay on a Baja 1000 course going 60mph. Seems like the Garmin 60Csx or something would do that just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts