Teryx HQ banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Looking for any kind of input on purchasing my first SxS...obviously I'm thinking teryx.

Models to stay away from? 08 was the first year, correct? Carbs correct?

Any significant improvements with later models?

Things to look for when I do my first test drive/walkaround?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a new 2010. I went with the 2010 because of the heavy discounting on a two year old model, the new body style, the hood tilt, the 2009 & newer have the fuel injection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you like the newer style get the 2010 or newer. It has the newer cooling system and the hood opens. The rest of it is basically the same
Is the new cooling system upgrade that big of a deal? How often do you need under the hood to work on stuff? Just for stearing and front suspension items?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well my wife picked my teryx, I was looking at a 2011 since it was priced less. But the wife said if we were going to buy a new one, she wanted brand new. Which was fine for me, I just wanted the Teryx:D. The hood opening up great, especially for cleaning out all the mud from the cooling area and giving you easy access to everything under the hood.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is the new cooling system upgrade that big of a deal? How often do you need under the hood to work on stuff? Just for stearing and front suspension items?
It depends on if you get the deal of the century on an 09..I don't think it's that big of a deal to remove the hood on my 09..Not much need to do so unless I;m installing some add ons, winch, etc..

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wow, allot of 08 bashing. You guys do realize I havent had one issue with my carbs on the 08. I have the stock cooling system and I run a 840 big bore that is set up well enough were the XP's stay away. Since buying mine new I have had really one issue that has anything to do with the "08" year. I left my parking brake on a few times and I had to replace my rear brake prematurly. That was a $3. audable alarm fix. I have had head gasket issues due to the 840 but that doesnt matter what year. I exploded my front diff due to HP and being in a bind.. Again that is the same diff in every other year Except the T4. That is it.. I can go in my building right now pull the choke hit thew key and it purrs like a kitten. I dont ride for long periods of time and most of that is in the coldest month but it starts and runs like a champ no matter how long it sets.

I guess I am trying to say is there are allot of 08's out there that are reemed. But if you find one that was maintained properlly and not abused it would be worth the money considering you could pick one up as low as $5000 or $6000.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
When I bought my 08 it was in 09. The two biggest Kawi motor builders, both recommended the 08 if I was going to heavy mod it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Obviously depends on price, condition, extras that are on the machine already. It doesn't take long to spend $$$ and if someone else already has then it normally doesn't add to the value of the unit. At least nowhere near what it cost them to buy it and install it. I have a 2008 and so far no problems at all. Carbs are pretty simple but the EFI's still have very few problems also. At least you are picking the right brand, just need to find your year!!!;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well here's what I ended up buying.

2009 Monster Edition. 90 hrs. 800 miles. Black Dual Muzzy Pro's, MSD, Top, Half folding windshield, HID's, Carbon fiber steering wheel and shift knob.

Put a few miles on this weekend. Man those muzzy's are sweet sounding.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts