Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of researching some rifles for use on our deer hunt this year.

I have narrowed it down to a 7mm or 30.06, leaning more towards the 30.06

I am a fan of thumbhole stocks but have not had any luck finding any in those two calibers. Does anyone know if any of these calibers come in a thumbhole version? If not, I wondering there is a technical reason why they do not. The only thing I can think of is many may not want to have their thumb through a stock that will recoil that hard.

Now granted, I could buy the weapon and then change the stock out after the fact, but would rather buy it that way.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Check out Howa rifles or Shooters Bible.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Look at savage arms, Model 11 BTH 30-06, I just bought a 93R17BTVS and am more than pleased with the quality.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's hard to beat the 30.06 for all around game. I've had a few over the years and never been disapointed. Same goes with the 7mm. If you are looking for a thoumb hole stock, is it so you can use it for longer shots and also target shooting in the off season? If so, I would lean more towards the 7mm. It's a little flatter, a little less recoil and I believe it carries a little more punch than the 30.06. Just my opinion, as I'm sure there's others on here that will chime in with theirs.

Good luck as they are both strong cartridges.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can't go wrong with either as stated above, I too like the 7mm's, they do run flatter with alittle more distance and punch. The only potential problem with the 7mm is finding ammo. Most places that have 30-.06 will have the 7mm too, but may be worth checking into. A few places around here don't keep it in stock as regular as 30-06. More than likely, you'll have to buy a custom stock with the thumbhole and add it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I couldn't decide between the .270 and 30 06 so I went with the .280 aka 7mm express. It is a remington pump, this one shoots great, guess i was lucky, it is sighted in at about inch an a half high at 100 yds and works good for deer point blank to 300yds. no need to hold over the target, you can check all the bullet ballistics at remington arms .com, i do have a 30 06 my gramp had, i dont want anything to happen to it so i dont hunt with it any more, it was a semi auto and a carbine at that, not too good a shot with it, but i could find bullets in a drug store for it, very popular round. my dad's 30-30 has more notches in it than any of my guns put together, good luck finding your faithful companion!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Browning.....
Model M1000, 300wssm , Thumb hole, heavy barrel, Nikkon scope. The super short magnum is a good round, the only issue I have with it is the price of ammo (one shot one kill). Altogether I think it was under $1000 (with scope). I've used this gun in Manatoba and Michigan and never had one run away...:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
i love my 30-06 i hunt Deer, and Elk with it mostly and have never had to fire a second shot on a kill. Does its job right the first time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Either Cal. you mentioned will work just fine for most big game, I have a 7MM. Mag, .270, .308, and 30-30. As far as the Thumb hole stock, have you shot one? They look neat but IMO not great for a hunting rifle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think Thompson Contender makes one in a single shot with switch barrels. Go to gun broker.com and check it out, you can find a dealer there too, to transfer it in your area, for about $30.

·
Registered
165 Posts
1 either cal. is great for mid size game. as far as thumb hole stock i would suggest going to a reputable gunsmith and get the riffle the way you want it and most of the time you get a higher quality gun than over the counter and for a reasonable price. or buy a higher end weatherby. cant go wrong with weatherby. just dont buy a vanguard and you would be very pleased with the .300 weatherby mag.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would go with the 7mm, it has a better trajectory and has plenty of power for deer sized game. I would recomend the .270, ammo is cheaper, its a necked down 30-06.
For rifles, i would buy a tikka t3 or thompson centre icon. They both are a steel of a deal and very accurate. They also both have magazines witch are nice. and are light.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Either caliber will be fine have killed many many deer for years I hunted with 7mag later years went to the 270 have also used 30-06 can't go wrong either way dead is dead and the model of the rifle is just as important to me as the caliper the plain old remington 700 is one of the best shooting guns and really easy to work on and adjust the trigger for the money

·
Registered
47 Posts
I noticed you live in Arizona. I've lived and hunted here for over 20 years. I went with a 7MM Mag. and wouldn't trade it for anything. Since you live in AZ you'll probably hunt elk too. We've dropped many elk with a 7MM. Although a 30-06 or 270 would work well too. I'm the guy who disagrees that the 7MM kicks less than the 30-06. Once sighted in you'll only want to shoot a few rounds each season to make sure you're still on target. I don't do any recreational shooting with my 7MM. JMO

·
Registered
604 Posts
i have a remington model 700 7mm magnum and i like it alot for a cheap rifles with scope...it was around 500.00 with a box of shells at wal mart..and is black sythetic stock.i beleive the 7mm magnum ammo is higher than the 30-06 ammo..but i know just about as much about guns as i do atvs!and thats not much.!:laugh:

·
Registered
27 Posts
buy you a armalite ar-50 one shot one kill lol no meat left but it's dead first shot.:2ar15smilie[1]:. all jokes aside i got a Remington 700 tatical in .308 one shot has killed all mine. you can't go wrong with a remington 700 in any caliber for quality and price IMO.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like all that have been mentioned, BUT in my experience the 300 win. mag is the best all around hunting rifle. If you can see it, you can hit it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts