Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all the dumb-ass, novice, yuppie, rookie mistakes. After a couple hard weekends at the dunes I decided to take my 09 up in the mountains and didn't check the oil. Guess what ... MT. Got about 1/2 mile up the hill, lost power, clackity/clack and that was all she wrote. Now I'm starring at in the garage wondering how much it's gonna cost. If I had to guess ... I'd say it spun bearings, and from the clackity/clack I'd say there's a rod issue. I'm pretty sure one of the cylinders started to seize and imagine it took the rod with it.
Any ideas on what this is going to cost if I deliver the pulled motor to a reputable machine shop? Yes I know this is the time to increase the bore ... but times are tough and am having a hard time finding the silver lining.

Signed ... Bummed :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your mishap. If you are just going back stock and you are going to pull the motor yourself, why not tear it down and rebuild it yourself? It really isnt that bad once you get started. Heck you probably have a few riding buddies that will lend a hand. Good luck, Hope you get back out on the trail real fast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear that dude, I just had a buddy from Layton blow up his Rhino two weekends ago at Knolls. He took his to 4 Seasons Powersports... I think he said it was gonna be $1200 (of course his is single cylinder), his crank was toast too...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
We did a build just like you got there, parts, labor, fluids, filters etc was right at $2250. Some dealers or stealers want $4000 and above for it.

FYI, we do have a ship in motor, build it and ship it back out program. Less money than us pulling it etc.

Only thing I can think of that might really cause you a pain in your wallet is the fact it starved for oil and if it hurt the valve train, cams, heads etc.

Todd

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
If its cooked, its a good time to hot rod it with a stock bore or big bore kit.
You might as well get more hp for about the same money.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Man, that really sucks, I know you must be sick, lotsa ppl say oh well, time for a bbk, but for those of us that don't have 3k laying around,man, hope u get back on the trail soon. BTW, do alot of research and u might find u can do a rebuild yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Don't let me a downer but if you do hot rod it, you will have to spend a good bit more to match your parts.

MSD
bigger injectors
exhaust
Clutch kit
MSD and exhaust probably, but if you are into it anyways, why not have the potential, as the engine is apart and you have to buy most of the parts. Most people would do these and the clutch kit anyways. Upgrades are not as necessary on a stock bore kit vs the the BBK. AND you are a downer. :p

Also Dasa is selling a motor now. You may have to switch a few parts from stock motor from 09 or 10 and sell cases later too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already have Muzzy duals and the MSD. I have begun pricing +5mm pistons from JE and will probably punch it out regardless of whether the cylinders are damaged or not.
I'm about an hour from pulling the motor. We turned it over be hand last night and noted that all rotating assemblies still function as advertised. Both pistons moved (and compress) and valves moved in time. That at least shows me that the rods are still attached and timing mechanisms aren't scattered. Although there are still some major issues ... it was good news.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
culprit found

Although it's still me to check the darn oil, fo
und a cracked oil temp housing just below the belt cover. Ugh

·
Registered
29 Posts
sorry to say it, but welcome to the club. my crank is smoked though. i have to sell my 06 yz450 to pay for it, if anybody knows somebody who wants that bike. its going to cost me around 4k to do the big bore.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$4K? I'd say you need to shop that number around a bit more? You can get a brand new OEM crankshaft for $300. Pistons/rings/pins from JE direct (90MM/11.5:1 comp) for $340.

·
Registered
29 Posts
should i be worried about the rods? it didnt run too long after it started sounding funny. the front rod wiggles a little bit on the crank. ive got the motor out, sitting on the bench, just trying to figure out what to start with. if i did go bbk, can i run it with the stock exhaust for a while? can i just do the msd and the cooling system upgrade at first? or just wait and do it all at once? it seems like nobody here in so. cal. wants to build my motor with somebody elses kit. would like to here some opinions from guys who have already gone through this.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If you spun a bearing then we replace the rods, no need at that point to cut corners. You will need to buy all three sets of crank bearings cause when you buy a crank and set of rods you will not know the markings on them which determine which set of rod bearings you will need.

you will need a larger set of injectors and yes you could run stock exhaust just won't get out of it what it can do. You will be on your own on mapping it out too.

If your gonna do a BBK then we use and sell AMR kits.

·
Registered
318 Posts
sorry to say it, but welcome to the club. my crank is smoked though. i have to sell my 06 yz450 to pay for it, if anybody knows somebody who wants that bike. its going to cost me around 4k to do the big bore.
Any idea what caused the motor failure?? Overheat, low oil. just curious, i know since start of this thread i have been paying closer attention to fluid levels but it is easy to overlook, ive ruined a couple motors for dumb reasons in my day, and rear brakes for that matter;) if nothing obvious cased failure how many hrs on machine. Would just like to know life expectancy of a maintained motor so i know when to start saving for bbk.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any idea what caused the motor failure?? Overheat, low oil. just curious, i know since start of this thread i have been paying closer attention to fluid levels but it is easy to overlook, ive ruined a couple motors for dumb reasons in my day, and rear brakes for that matter;) if nothing obvious cased failure how many hrs on machine. Would just like to know life expectancy of a maintained motor so i know when to start saving for bbk.
My failure was caused by low/no oil thanks to a cracked sensor housing. I've heard great things about the dependability of these engines. I think it's safe to say that if quality chemicals are used and kept full ... you can throttle these for quite some time with no worries.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts