Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who makes the best slip-on muffler to replace the factory one. i would like to have one that is not very loud

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is an excellent artical and it made my decision to go with the muzzy with jets, I have been playing with offroad machines for years mostly baja and these tech articals have taught me things and reinforced things that I suspected. Thanks todd. I will most likely be getting new wheels/tires from 3step soon.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I thought the Hunterworks exhaust test showed a 1 to 3 hp gain by just changing the exhaust tip on the stock exhaust. Good HP gain for $40.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I did show that and the comparisons were against the stock pipe with not tip. So if a slip on gave you 2.5 to 3 HP for $350 over stock muffler with tip why would you do that when you could remove the tip for free and have the same gain?

Buying aftermarket tip does nothing except change the look and maybe change tone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What makes these exhaust so expensive? What are they union made ?:laugh: I only paid $9000. for the Teryx.
well said! i just cant get over how much money these guys are getting for exhaust systems. i have 5 inch ss exhaust on my dodge 3500 and didnt pay no where near what they get for the teryx. i am a dealer for trinity racing and my cost is still way high. what i dont understand is the 4 wheeler exhaust is cheaper then the side x side stuff put have the same motor.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Actually a little over 4 which is 12% which is very good.

You will feel this. Point is there is nothing else bolt on you can do to give it to you and if you go inside motor you will need it for sure.

Todd
Does the Muzzy's gives 4hp over the stock muffler w/ tip, or 4hp over stock muffler w/o tip?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Over stock without tip, not much sense in comparing it to stock with cap that gain would be misleading.

Why they cost so much??? Simple, volume. They only make 25 at a time versus hundreds for the truck.

There are several 100,000 of those trucks and only about 10,000 teryx's out there.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I can tell you from my experience...I had the mods of jet kit/carb kit, and CDI,(Yes I Had The Power Tip Also) and yes I liked the improvement, but then (1 month later) when I installed the Muzzy's....it was like adding 3 more mods!!! Kinda likea made the other mods all work together to really get you that seat of pants experience your looking for. If you think 900 is too much...you are probably going to think 400 is too much...so don't buy it! I love the muzzy's power increase...even if it is 4 HP. The sound is awesome too!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Kawasaki makes the best slip exhaust, the best slip-out exhaust that is! Remove the tip and get more power, less weight - for the few grams it is! Other than that, go hard or go home on the exhaust that is. As for gains, just like a Diesel engine, buy a programmer and you get let say 100 HP for a round #. With that same chip, add an exhaust and intake and now your 100 HP programmer is 120-130 HP programmer because everything works together, no matter how you mix them.
As for cost, I do automotive repair for a living and the cost of parts for the auto side compared to the side x side is no comparison. Just go to any auto supply store and price out a starter for a Chevy 350 compared to your old Honda 350 4x4 or brand new Teryx!
Or any commonly worn out part and it does not matter - volume matters! I gaurantee you that there are more 350 engines buried than there are Teryx's above ground!

Now for the 'MAYBE' section:

If everyone here on "TeryxHQ" wanted a new Muzzy exhaust, ceramic coated with the AFR bungs already installed, like I want, then maybe we could order a 100+, and maybe get them for $500-$600! This is maybe a totally out to lunch # but you know what I mean. Also, not to start another thread but maybe it is coming anyhow, what does everyone want? Nobody wants the same thing at the same time but maybe this month could do a Dalton clutch special? Or maybe since Mickey is in the mood this month and has a Valentines day deal he could extend it to another 100 people, he is probably cursing me right now but if we all want what he has and can afford it then maybe we will get it!!! and doing a deal on 840 kits we could all jump on board and he will be so busy trying to fill all the orders that we get what we want eventually, but now he is so busy trying to fill this order that we won't get the 1000cc kits that some of us want. How is this line drawn??? Anyhow this is way too over done that I have to stop because I will keep on rambling but 'maybe' you know what I mean!

·
Registered
216 Posts
If they didn't cost so much they would sell more. More people would be willing to buy them. They don't need to be made from billet materials. I want the power I don't care how it looks , it's only a exhaust system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i own a atv repair shop and i know what a exhaust system cost. i am a dealer for a major atv supply and performance shop that sells a exhaust for the teryx. if guys could see how much i get off you would shit. so to say it really cost this much to make i know better first hand. if i can get 300.00 off then there is a good mark up. people are just willing to pay alot of money for a exhaust system.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I just know what they cost us and I promise you there is no where near $300 in it in profit.

Normally manufactures sell it to distributors then to dealers then to customers and each person makes roughly 25%.

No one sells this system for $900 except for Muzzy themselves. We basically sell it for $825 plus $25 for shipping which is $850

If you are running a good business and not selling out of your house like on ebay you simply have to sell at some kind of profit. Everyone is in business to make money. I think we are in it to stay slightly behind LOL!!

You guys tell me. What would you rather have. All products at low prices sold from guys on ebay with no idea about the products or shops with real shops, dynos, tools, equipment and so forth who install and test first where it cost to be able to totally support it?

Just think about the free install videos we do. We had to buy a video camera, wireless mic, apple computer for video processing and the time to do it. As a matter of fact, we are already on second camera and hard drive replacement on computer. All this for a free video. It cost me and we have to pay for it somehow. I know people appreciate it because we get too many calls and e-mails about it.

I know we are not the only ones doing this but just making a point.

To defend Muzzy and other companies like them. They only do performance, not bumpers skid plates and so forth. They have their own in house testing facility and believe this or not it's location is a secret for some reason. When your are making products for a small market compared to the auto market it cost more. Maybe the materials don't cost anymore but all the same infrastructure cost the same and when you amortize that with the number of exhaust you sell, they simply have to cost more.

Example: Plastic under seat storage box for a Rhino Price $100 while you can go to Wal-Mart and buy a waterproof box for $10. Mold cost is the same for both but Wal-Mart will sell millions while the UTV box might only sell a 1000 a year. It simply has to cost more.

I assure you if you could make and sell them cheaper they would be.

Do you really think brand x can make a exhaust for $200 and then sell it for $900. If there were 10 companies doing this then one would say heck, I will sell more if I simply lower my prices and sell more. If they could they would. You don't see that because they can't. Competition puts prices where they can every time.

Use this site for another example. UTV Factory said he would sell the Muzzy to forum members at a introductory price of $789 and we sell it for $850, go add the $25 for shipping then it is about $35 cheaper us and it is a introductory offer which means it is going up at some point. Good price for sure but not a huge difference and the reason is he or others simply can't.

No matter what quality shop you buy from, good service cost!!

Off my soap box!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts