Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there different baffle cores for the muzzy's, or is there a way I can make the current cores quieter, different insulation?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes..I love the sound, my wife on the other hand........
And the townspeople.......
To tell you the truth the sound is like one mean ass angry pissed off mofo....
Figure it's just a little more loud now with the 840 cc kit, probably cause I've got my foot into more......
Next step, looking for a different SXS for wifey.

I thought there were different types of insulation of baffling material?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes..I love the sound,

It look's like everybody like there Muzzy for: style, sound, quality, etc. but what is the top speed of a Teryx 2009 with Muzzy compare to a stuck Teryx. I am in the market to buy one but looking for a good raison to pay that high price. Thanks

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have some Muzzy's prototype whisper cores that I hope to test in an 09 next week. I will let you know what the DB meter says.

Just trying to get a Metal Muzzy's Stator cover before I do the Install, and I will be shooting video!! :)

Sorry to be absent for a while but I tore my R rotator cuff in the 08 Teryx wreck and my wife has a very sick father, BUT... I am getting back at the UTV scene!! Playing Mr. Mom with and 8YO and your wife 12 hours drive away is pretty taxing on the soul.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see they have them listed on their site, but cant get any info, listed as;

0045-00012 ATV/ Offroad modular Forestry Service approved spark arrestor kit with quiet insert $32.95

What my problem is that I don't know if this is something that is already installed in the Teryx Muzzy's, don't want to buy something I already have.

Has anybody used the cores they have listed on their site?
Need some advice.....Murray?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yes..I love the sound,

It look's like everybody like there Muzzy for: style, sound, quality, etc. but what is the top speed of a Teryx 2009 with Muzzy compare to a stuck Teryx. I am in the market to buy one but looking for a good raison to pay that high price. Thanks
It is computer limited. I think you need a Dalton OD Clutch Cover, Muzzy's Exhaust System, a Muzzy's Digitune FI Controller and a Hunterworks Speed Box to get the most speed out of the 09. I speed tested mine today and I can only get to 52 on the factory speedo (probably 45 on GPS, if it is like my 08 speedo ready impossibly HIGH) before I can feel the fuel cut out by the computer.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I see they have them listed on their site, but cant get any info, listed as;

0045-00012 ATV/ Offroad modular Forestry Service approved spark arrestor kit with quiet insert $32.95

What my problem is that I don't know if this is something that is already installed in the Teryx Muzzy's, don't want to buy something I already have.

Has anybody used the cores they have listed on their site?
Need some advice.....Murray?
It is already in there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just picked up my muzzy pipes from the ceramic coater, are you guys running the screens? I'm thinking of pulling them out and tuning without screens. Look what the stock screen removal did?

DASA has a good thread on the other site talking about the speed control box. Check it out...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
To get back to the original thread topic.

The screens and quiet cores are already installed in the Muzzy's cans when you get them. That part number listed above is for the standard screen/QC I believe. No need to buy extras. I ride on a lot of national and state forest land so I have to have the screens and I want the cores.

Yes there has been a packing change that was implemented to quiet the system down a little. I have tested and ridden with my cans packed with the new material for a few months. What it ended up doing is making the packing last a LOT longer with the sound about the same at idle but my neighbor says it makes the sound when I am running around not carry as far, thus "it is quieter" in his opinion. This new packing from what I have understand, has been shipping in all the Teryx systems for at least a couple of months, maybe a little longer. If you do not have the new style packing, then you can probably quiet down your machine a little at speed and some throttle, but at idle it is roughly the same.

I have a set of prototype what Murray called "Whisper Cores" new longer QC's that I hope to get installed beginning of next week, and I will definitely let you know how they work.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts

I have a set of prototype what Murray called "Whisper Cores" new longer QC's that I hope to get installed beginning of next week, and I will definitely let you know how they work.
Can you do some before and after testing if the restriction of the quiet cores reduces performance much please.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If all goes well finishing fixing my 08 that I crashed, they will go into it first. It has the FST STD Bore kit in it so I should be able to tell if performance suffers pretty easily because the machine is crazy like it is. I would break a lot of stuff with an 840...

·
Registered
98 Posts
What did you do to the 08 Will? got some pics of the damage, did you get hurt

Hope all is well

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just send them to me HAHA, I will test them out! I am pretty certain that the insulation has fried or "cooked" in my left canister, that is clearly getting louder on that side, so looks like I am gonna pull them apart and look at them anyway. Was wondering if that is my problem, if Muzzys has the replacement insulation....gonna have to call them I guess.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Just send them to me HAHA, I will test them out! I am pretty certain that the insulation has fried or "cooked" in my left canister, that is clearly getting louder on that side, so looks like I am gonna pull them apart and look at them anyway. Was wondering if that is my problem, if Muzzys has the replacement insulation....gonna have to call them I guess.
I am really excited about the new test "Whisper Cores" I can't show a picture as I don't show prototype stuff as a general rule. They are definitely different than the stock QC's though.

Muzzy's does sell the packing for pretty cheap money as well, but you will need to make up a tool to get the end caps off to install the new packing. If you can do an 840 kit, I would bet you can do this. ;)

Here is what the newer style packing looks like: It has been shipping with systems for at least 2 months probably more like 3 or 4. My original system had the old style packing. Muzzy's is constantly improving their product and I have had the awesome opportunity to be involved with helping to test this packing and also the new heat shield. You get what you pay for with Muzzy's, they are SUPER responsive to their customers. I would never put any other brand system on my machines, Muzzy's is true value for the price and an American company!

And these are the tools you will need to repack them. The custom rod tool is a little over 24" long and is 1/2" steel rod that has a 45 cut on the end to get between the perf tube and the end cap to knock it off. The cross piece is to make it easier to hold.

Here is the tip and you can see the way you cut hte sharp 45 on the end of the rod.

Or you just send the cans to Muzzy's and let them repack them for you. I believe you have one of the early systems Tee, and this new packing lasts a LOT longer than the original and is a tiny bit quieter as well.

Here are actual instructions to do it, these are rough instructions, I am sure Muzzy's has better ones if you ask them, an I kinda fell short on helping them with these, sorry Murray.

Tools needed:

1. 4mm socket head allen wrench
2. About 24" of 1/2" steel rod cut at 45˚ angle on one end (the cut should be clean so the end is fairly sharp)
3. Rubberized mallet
4. Pliers
5. Towels
6. Masking tape
7. 4 sheets of copier or printer paper if you don't want to scratch the cans when you slide them back into the billet mounts.

Remove both mufflers from the muffler brackets.

Protect each muffler shell by wrapping the mufflers with clean towels. Secure the towels with masking tape.

Remove the muffler end cap by removing the two flat head bolts.

Remove the six allen bolts from the outlet end of the muffler shell.

Place the muffler flat on a soft surface then insert the steel rod into the inlet end of the muffler with the sharpened end of the rod pointing toward the outlet.

Carefully feel for the rod to engage the inside lip of the outlet cap where the perf tube slides over the cap.

Tap the flat end of the steel rod with the rubber mallet to push the outlet cap out of the muffler shell. You'll need to move the rod around the edge of the lip to push the cap out evenly.

Once the cap is out, remove the old perf. tube and any remaining packing. You may need to wiggle the perf. tube out of the inlet end by gripping the edge of it with a pair of pliers.

You're now ready to install the new perf. and packing. Note the arrow on the packing points toward the muffler outlet end. Carefully insert the new perf./packing into the muffler shell so that the perf. slides over the muffler inlet lip. Wiggle the perf. back and forth as you apply pressure to ensure that the perf. is fully engaged.

Re-install the muffler outlet cap. Protect the polished side of the cap by placing a small towel over the cap then gently tap the cap into the shell. Put your finger through the outlet hole to guide the perf. over the outlet lip as you tap the cap into position.

Using non-permanent thread sealer on the threads, secure the outlet cap by re-installing the six button head allen bolts.

Re-install the end cap with the two flat head allen bolts. Use non-permanent thread sealer on these threads as well.

Repeat the steps above for the other muffler.

Carefully re-install each muffler. It's recommended to wrap each muffler with four sheets of copy paper or an equivalent. Secure the paper with tape. This will help protect the muffler shells during re-install and final positioning. The paper can be removed before final tightening of the muffler brackets. Don't forget to use non-permanent thread sealer on the muffler bracket bolts.

In the below photo, you can see engaging the end of your custom end cap removal tool between the perf tube and the end cap to tap it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
What did you do to the 08 Will? got some pics of the damage, did you get hurt

Hope all is well
Yes I did get hurt worse than I thought. I will try to do a fix thread, I have a few pics of the machine getting the frame fixed by a professional, took 3 days to get it perfect, but it is straight as an arrow now. Sorry to hijack this thread.

**Edit - Wreck thread here ---> http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/kawasaki-teryx-general-discussions/2563-one-mans-teryx-wreck-rebuild.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
Old Bump

Bumping this up instead of sarting a new thread. I have a set of Whisper cores I was getting read to install in my standard pipes.
After taking the cap and screen off and shining a light down in the can, I can see what looks like the quiet core in there.
Does that need to be removed before the Whisper cores go in? Its twisted in there and it doenst appear that the whisper cores are going to slide in

1 - 20 of 22 Posts