Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks....This Friday I'm purchasing my Teryx. I have located a brand new 08' model off the showroom, no hours.

I'm getting it in Green because everyone else in my group has Red, Camo and Black Rhino Lined.

I already have 28" Silverback tires along with custom wheels for it. Bought them from a buddy almost new last week and put them on my Mule 610 (It looks bada**). I decided to give the Mule to my two girls and my wife and I are getting the Teryx (about to head to the Mud Nationals for the 4th straight year...I'm a founding member FatBoyAtv...check out our website if you want...

ANYWAY....

Other than the tires and wheels..and keeping in mind I'm buying this cash so this year I'll be tight on any aftermarket stuff.

Any suggestions (besides a snorkle system) on what I should do right away that won't cost an arm and a leg that I will appreciate this year at the nationals? I have maybe another $500.00 to spend this year.

Thanks, great being here and cannot wait for my first Teryx in a week.

Bill
aka.
TexasRack
Fort Worth, Texas

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that for sure, any suggestions on which way to go. I do plan on eventually putting on Muzzy exhausts, a clutch kit, etc.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is "+1" the manufacturer? Can you provide a link or website addy by chance? Thanks again, sorry for all the questions, just want to get this right the first time since it's a brand new machine.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Dyna or VDI CDI and pull the muffler baffle and replace with the bigger metal tip till you can afford a dual exhuast. Most seem to be going Dyna CDI.

Keep and eye out for a used muzzy.

Motor kits go on sale around here.

With 28s you may consider some clutch kit or work.

Then lighten it a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
ALSO Plenum Rings are a must. $20 insurance to protect mudding/dusting the motor thru the carbs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ALSO Plenum Rings are a must. $20 insurance to protect mudding/dusting the motor thru the carbs.
I would definately do this while you are snorkling the teryx. Also, snorkling may require jetting if the kit doesnt come with right size intake tube (submarine snorkles is a good kit). With the 28" silverbacks you will not need a lift kit, but lift kit helps out a bunch (stateline customs 3inch is a great product). You will definately need clutch work to keep the belt from giving you a hard time, especially in the mud. The VForce John clutch mod is only thing that HAS worked. Also, if you plan on running a wench (venom/viper-hunterworks has them), stereo (sidebysidecustoms), or HID kit (sidebysidecustoms) you will want upgrade your battery (oddessy PC925) and or charging system (sidebysidecustoms). CDI and Exhaust (muzzy) are great plus. Silverbacks are hard on axels. With the 28s you will be okay on stock axels, but hard mudding will take its toll on stock ones. I would upgrade the axels to gorilla or turner as they break.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks BD, just spoke with John about the clutch work. First thing I'm doing along with a Dyna CDI box. John is one heck of a good guy.

Then I'm adding the Plenum, Front CV boot guards (back too probably), and possibly the HID kit, oh and the kit that helps better seal the air box.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thats is really up to each persons prefrence as to what mods they want 1st, I see some people that go for hp first, some go for suspenion, some go for cosmetic (look) everyone is different, you just do what make you happy reguardless what other say, you will love it no matter what you do heck soon or later do it all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking the same thing..sooner or later it will have all of the tricks. Just went down today to give them the $500.00 down payment to bring it in next week. Should have it within 10 days. I'll shoot you some pictures as I start putting her together. Thanks again buddy, sure appreciate your insight and feedback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed the HMF dual slip on exhaust and you can buy it for less than 500.00, it does not sound bad at all! So far so good, but it is a little loud! Also I added a 2" lift from atvos and it did the trick just enough without having to change the sway bar. Keep in mind with the exhaust your going to have to really jam up the radio to hear it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks MATGATES. Keep me posted on how you like those exhausts...right now I'm leaning towards the Muzzy, but I've heard they cause heat issues inside near the engine (anyone heard this?). I'm going to do without a lift for now. I have 28" Silverbacks on it and I'm putting wheel spacers on the front and just barely trimming a bit. Might do a lift next year, it's just that most of these lifts look so darn cheesy. How beefy is the Atvos lift?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not any heat issue at all, I ride ALOT up in Mena Arkansas. As a matter of fact we will be there the weekend of the 20th. I have a twisted stich rear seat installed and even with the stock exhaust the kids complained a little about the heat on the floor, but no different with the HMF. As far as the lift goes o have 27" xtr radials and just wanted that little bit more height, I only paid like 80.00 for it then put it on myself, it is pretty darn good considering the beating it takes in the mountains. Up there the suspension really takes a beating which is why I love the gas shocks. I am wanting to do a cdi box and a little more like but I am having fun now running circles on the rhinos and I don't want to make em cry harder! Maybe soon I'll get it though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks MATGATES. Keep me posted on how you like those exhausts...right now I'm leaning towards the Muzzy, but I've heard they cause heat issues inside near the engine (anyone heard this?). I'm going to do without a lift for now. I have 28" Silverbacks on it and I'm putting wheel spacers on the front and just barely trimming a bit. Might do a lift next year, it's just that most of these lifts look so darn cheesy. How beefy is the Atvos lift?
All teryx's have heat issues in the cab, without the exhaust. The 08's are known for it, and the 09's are better about it. I am running dragonfire dual exhaust (damn thing sounds like a harley) and I wrapped the header pipes in the cab back to the bed, it really reduced the heat. Muzzy, is a very good exhaust. If you want a good built lift, stateline customs makes a three inch that's really nice. Catvos (not atvos) makes good lifts to, just they are just really proud of their lifts. You don't have to have spacers to fit 28"s on a stock teryx, you can even fit 30" under a stock teryx. Just to inform you, the Vforce John Mod is one the best things you can do. That alone is going to save your belt, but you will still burn it. I hate the way these clutch's work. You really have drive them like you stole it. I have learned don't ease on the throttle, stab the throttle and ease it back to where you want it. Just putting around and easing on the throttle a lot, is what smokes your belt. Also, when you get stuck and you notice that tires are about quit spinning or have quit spinning. Just stop, get pulled out and save your belt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man am I glad I found this site. The very first mod that is being done is the Vforce john mod. Spoke with John on the phone yesterday...that is a done deal for sure. CDI box will be ordered next week. I cannot tell you chaps how appreciative I am of your candid and honest feedback. I cut my teeth quite a while back on Polaris Sportsmen (450 and an 800), but I am an avid hunter (bow mainly) and instead of following my good buddies and family when they all purchased the Teryx. I chose the Mule 610 for nothing but a solid, long lasting hunting platform. She has served me VERY well (camo edition) and I still have her. However it's time to step into the octagon now and I won't do it with a Teryx.

As Big Daddy pointed out, eventually it will all be done. But with the Nationals coming soon here in Texas I have to choose my poison as I'm buying the Rex cash and not a millionare...HA!HA!

So after all of your fantastic input..and narrowing down with what budget I have left. Here are the first Mods on the Rex this year...feel free to comment. To me it's not just about speed or power...but also additions to help her stay free of trouble and take care of her as I consider these units an investment, they are not cheap!

Vforce John Mod (Clutch)
Dyna CDI box
Carb Plenums
Snorkel
Front CV guards

1 - 20 of 27 Posts