Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 09 teryx sport msd ig[U [/U]nition, muzzy exhaust, ordered dalton o.d. plate,running 26" bighorn II tires. Looking for advice on clutch kit don't want any thing that will hurt top speed, just wondering what anyone would recomend and if there is a kit that would improve performance possible engine kit in near future. what about the v force build. thanks for any imput

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
They make just one kit. It comes with one secondary spring, two different primary springs, enough set screws (weights) to be able t screw up to three in each weight and some rivets to put in the ends of the weights.

It comes with a nice manual explaining what to use and you can always call us.

You only have to buy one kit and it can be set up for anything so you only buy one kit

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You will, you will get a more positive belt engagement, longer belt life and more grunt down low.

If you were to take two identical Teryx's and put a Dalton kit in just one and drag race them on a 400ft drag strip the one equipped with clutch kit would outrun it by one to two lengths.

I know you don't drag race but just making the point of better accleration.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Have 09 teryx sport msd ig[U [/U]nition, muzzy exhaust, ordered dalton o.d. plate,running 26" bighorn II tires. Looking for advice on clutch kit don't want any thing that will hurt top speed, just wondering what anyone would recomend and if there is a kit that would improve performance possible engine kit in near future. what about the v force build. thanks for any imput
Do the Vforce John mod... I have used the epi, the dalton and nothing beats the Vforce. He actually machines your primary clutch assembly. By doing it this way the hole thing grabs the entire belt and it really engages quick. I got more low end, more top end, I can run around in low all day at about 30mph, runs cooler and get better mpg. Oh and it has solved my belt breaking and burning problem. You have to remove the primary and send it to him. When he is through with it he sends it back 2 day priority. He charges 350 for everything... this has been one of the best mods I have done. Just call him and tell him what are wanting to do...he will fix you up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I heard it is a good mod but since we can't sell it, no need in us getting ours done this way. Would not make much sense for us to sell one thing and use another.
:good: no doubt

·
Registered
99 Posts
VFJ CLUTCH MOD IS THE BEST! Todd you need to try it out and see if it will put more hp to the rear wheels? The teryx will come off the line hard spinning the rear tires on blacktop!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You know I would like to but we really like the Dalton and OD plate.

Kinda like me not buying a aftermarket crank for my rhino when I needed one then selling a piston/cam kit. People would want to know how reliable and if I told them I had a aftermarket crank and it is fine they would not want to buy it thinking since I have a aftermarket crank they need one.

We run what we sell.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you don't try it how will you know what is the BEST SETUP? What clutch setup have you tried out beside dalton? You say dalton but haven't tried out VFJ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Todd you are missing the point you haven't tried ANYBODY ELSE KIT so how do you know that you have the best kit out? YOU DON'T! Are you afraid to try something new or better?

·
Registered
235 Posts
He didn't say it was the best or that VFJ is no good, to the contrary!! He said VFJ is a nice mod but he is in buisness to sell stuff and as he says he sells what he uses, it is called customer confidence, he can't sell something he doesnt use and doesn't use something he can't sell. Pretty simple concept as far as I am concerned. Don't you get it??

He said he is very happy with Dalton as all who are using a Dalton kit are.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Todd likes to test out equipment and find what is best for example he tested how many different exhaust for the teryx ? But only sells 2 of them? Now on clutching he has only tested 1clutch set up and he telling everybody how good it is BUT HOW DOES HE KNOW? Why is he scared of test them all for hp and speed to the rear wheels? He like to say he only sells stuff that works but what has he tested it against to prove it evan works maybe it was the exhaust and the msd box?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
To me there are only two choices in clutching, Dalton or V Force John.

Most all other clutch kits are made by EPI and most are not adjustable.

I think it is a waste to buy a non adjustable clutch kit and the EPI uses a Brute Force weight with some weight taken off it and it produces too much belt temp.

As far as clutch kits go I am totally convinced the Dalton is the best and that is why we sell it. It is by far the most purchased clutch kit and the standard by which others are judged. This is why we sell and support it.

The V Force mod is good from what I hear but I can't sell it so that only leaves the Dalton which works great.

No need in me spending $350 on a clutch mod I can't sell.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It is actually two very different things.

The Vforcejohn mod is a machining job that is done to the drive clutch itself. The clutch is cut to phsically allow the belt to go higher on the clutch than the stock clutch will allow (even higher than our original Dalton overdrive plate...that now has oodles of imitators making copies of).Our OD cover will get you 5 more mph at stock engine rpm...more with big camshafts....the vfj mod can get you even a few more.
The overdrive plate is not necessary with the vfj mod on a stock /bolt on machine,but is much stronger if you run a high hp motor or big bore.He can machine your clutch with or without a billet cover.Because the sheave angles are changed with the vfj mod,often it requires a bit less flyweight mass in the adjustment of the weights and we have worked with that as well.(I've cut and modified MANY different brands of clutches and been doing it full time since 1990),and have worked with lots of guys with the vfj mods to their clutches.

The Dalton Teryx clutch kit is a fully adjustable flyweight system that also comes with a new secondary spring,and optional engagement primary springs,..and a set up guide to set up the flyweights for your application. This kit gives you control over your rpm and shift pattern of the belt and lets you dial in for specific applications. People that have good experience tuning cvt's know how valuable it is to have adjustable flyweights ,and spring rates and flyweights that are designed specifically to a vehicle.We do not need to have 5 or 6 different teryx clutch kits,but only the manual with tested set ups for each application.

Many use one,..or the other,..and many use both together.

I'm not sure why sometimes a VFJ machining mod,and a Dalton Clutch kit gets "compared",other than the fact that some are uneducated as to the difference and need this info.
There are many clutch kits on the market for the teryx that really ARE clutch kits with cvt tuning components...compare our Dalton kit to them. We have plenty of great feedback from those who have done that.

John does good work and in fact we often have people who are looking for even more mph than what they have with a stock clutch with a cover mod. We have no interest in,or time for cutting peoples clutches. I refer Many to VFJ to get his clutch machining.

Dalton Industries.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great information I guess I have one more question I already have the dalton od plate that I got from Todd if I wanted to have the v force work done would I need a dalton kit to go with the work or would it do any good or does that duplicate something that is done by v force build, thanks again guys for the imformation I never thought I would get this great imfo like Todd said straight from the horses mouth

1 - 20 of 25 Posts