Teryx HQ banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 with fuel injection has been giving me problems with strarting when cold. If I don't give it the gas it will only crank over and not catch. If I give it some gas it will start, but stop as soon a I release the gas pedal. I don't get the same problem when the engine is hot. Is there a solenoid or sensor that engages the choke for cold start? I just changed the spark plugs hoping that would help, but it starts the same.
Any suggestions?

·
383 Posts
Sounds like its time for a valve adjustment maybe?? How many miles??

·
Registered
526 Posts
Mine did same thing. Adjusted the valves and much better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, ended up taking it to the dealer. The hooked it up to the computer and found all sensors were OK. They have been back logged with work and haven't gone any further. I will talk to them on Monday about a valve adjustment. Todd I hope you are not right this time. Just out of curiosity what would it run for new valves and springs?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Thanks everyone, ended up taking it to the dealer. The hooked it up to the computer and found all sensors were OK. They have been back logged with work and haven't gone any further. I will talk to them on Monday about a valve adjustment. Todd I hope you are not right this time. Just out of curiosity what would it run for new valves and springs?
Depends, you dealer is not gonna have a clue what actually needs to be done. If you ask them they would want to put back stock valves and springs. They probably don't know the reason people have to keep adjusting valves is the valve face is wearing.

Springs are $125 and valves are $288, installation ?????? Here probably $600 labor but you gonna get new rings too.

The only time this is a known issue is when it starts hard, adjusting the valves fixes it and then it does it again pretty soon.

Todd

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Todd, I'll let you know if I need to make a trip to your shop, you're about 800 miles away. Do you make house calls? By the way the UNI filter worked great, the air plenun was pretty clean when I pulled it off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone who said adjust the valves gets a gold star. Dealer said bring it in and we'll hook it up to the computer. I'm still under extended warranty so I said OK. Turns out everything checked out OK so they adjusted the valves an it took care of the problem. Since it wasn't a warranty issue, I had to pay for the the diagnostic test as well as the valve adjustment. Thanks to all who responded.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Sad truth is, it is a warranty issue, only reason valves needed adjusting is they are getting tighter not looser and the only way for that to happen is the valve faces are deforming and the valves are sitting deeper in heads and closer to rocker arms.

They won't see it this way though, dealers suck!!

Todd

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know it has been a few months since the posting. It was the valves that needed adjustment and that made it start easier and run. Since that time I have put on a stop oil kit and UNI filter that I bought from Todd at Hunterworks. Before I put on the kit and change the filter, the bike had blown out a huge cloud of smoke. Long story, short, the stock air filter allowed dust to get by and toasted the rings .060 clearance and the valves. Had extended warranty the dealer fixed all under warranty. Kawi didn't want to pay for the valves, but dealer covered it since I went there three times to pick it up because it was suppose to be ready (150 miles each way). Have ridden it twice since they rebuilt the engine and it seems to be running OK. Still have my fingers crossed. Thanks everyone who responded, and you were right about the valve adjustment.:smiley_why-me:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts