Teryx HQ banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a SXS in the next month and have narrowed it down to either a 2010 Teryx or a 2010 Ranger XP. I've driven a 08 Teryx and loved it except for the cabin heat. My use will be 90% trail riding - mountainous trails of TN/KY/VA. I would pick the Teryx hands down EXCEPT, I'd like to be able to take my wife AND my son along. The bench seat in the Ranger as well as the power improvements has kept me from picking one just yet.

I hate to make a 10K mistake! I know I can make a 4 seater out of a Teryx, but don't see how comfortable it would be for a small adult (son and wife are both about 5')

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Couple things to keep in mind:

• The ride in the back of a four seater is pretty bouncy
  • The bench seat in a Ranger (I find) is pretty uncomfortable as well as the steering wheel angle
  • Range in wider than a Teryx
  • Much more aftermarket on the Teryx
  • Think of a Ranger as a work SxS and a Teryx as more of a Sport/work SxS (a Rzr being a Sport SxS)
  • Ranger has an open diff in the rear (won't tear up your lawn but can be locked)
I think either one will work for you, you need to decide what fits your need better. I have a four seat Teryx, my wife (5'4") sits in the back with no issues. Kids fit fine. You can also turn a Ranger into a four seater as well.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I know exactly where your coming from I was at that same crossroads in 2006 I was torn between a ranger and a rhino, had friends that had both they each let me take it and ride I bought the Rhino and have never regreted, I now have a 2006 Rhino and a 2009 Teryx. Its really 2 different machines the teryx has a much sporty ride but unlike the Rhino is has more bed capacity, the Ranger is a good machine but I just don't like the ride and drive it might be for you everybody has an opinion, have you seen the new 4 seat razer. The Teryx I think has the best combination of features.

·
Registered
13 Posts
go with the rex, I have a four seater, I'm 6'2" and spent a couple hours in my back seat, not the most comfortable, but made it, plus the teryx is just sweet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have to admit, Polaris did a pretty good job putting the RZR 4 together. It would be great if your never trail rided, because it's pretty long. The Teryx is way better for puting a seat into then a Rhino due to the bed capacity, wider stance, and more power(alot more power). Rangers have good power as well, but it's not nearly as sporty, not as fast on a track, and as mentioned before not any many future upgrades.
But something that you have to check out is the "Brutus" by Marshall Motoart. This is the best by far, but I don't know how much it costs.
link----> BRUTUS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a 24AS Desert Fox toyhauler - Teryx or Ranger XP will fit, but nothing larger so RZR4, crew, etc out. Shame - I like the looks of the RZR4! - just not the 15k price tag!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ya it's expensive, but it's cheap next to the rzr s that has the same power and suspension.
What you think about the Brutus?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I bought Ranger.
I had a 4 seater built.
I had a cage built.
I had fun in it.
I beat it to death and still ran like a champ.
I sold it.
I bought the 09 Teryx

I just wasnt thrilled of having a built up farm vehicle.

I wanted something sporty. I wanted something that had TONS of aftermarket support. I wanted a true SPORT sidexside. I WANTED A TERYX!!!

I liked the Ranger, but DONT regret my switch!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I fell behind one of those 4 seat RZR S's this past weekend, I might as well have been following my F-250 thu the woods, 2 and 3 shotting some turns...but I guess, as with almost all of these side by sides, they were not designed with the Southeast's trails in mind...Some adapt better than others...

On another note, I do ride with several of the Rangers...they seem to do well on the trails we go on, sometimes better than the Teryx...but they have always stuck me as more of a mule utility based vehicle...you cant quite maneuver them very well, and they get hung up in spots the Teryx won't...but they have pulled my teryx out a ton of times...I'd just recommend going and driving one...there are very little aftermarket options so you pretty much get what you buy...I've changed the seats in my teryx and I couldnt drive a Ranger with the bench seat and the lack of leg room...and the steering angle is just weird...but if I needed something with Utility I'd definitely be looking in that direction...I dont think the suspension on the Ranger will move as much as the Teryx either...something to keep in mind on the rocky trails and hills...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the opinions. Going with the Teryx!

May cost me a bit more $$$ to make a 4 seater, but part of the game!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts