Teryx HQ banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new at this so any advice is good. I bought a new 09 Teryx, it is used for hunting only. It has 19 hours on it and I have taken it easy on the trail. I was coming up a hill at about 15 MPH when it started smoking real bad.It soon stopped completly. The next week I spun around in the mud and it started again, smoking very bad. It soon stopped. I have not dogged this machine. Is this common? Should I send it back? I know the first service is due, but if this is common it will soon be for sale. Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sounds like it might be over full on oil but either way its not a real problem... These kawasaki v-twins make a lot of crank case pressure and under a lot of pressure it will push oil out the engine breather tube into the air intake which is what gives you your smoke... Doesn't hurt anything but check your oil level to make sure its not over full.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Drop your oil slightly or install an oil catch can (outside of the air box) and the problem should go away. Common issue.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I also have an new 09 and I had the same problem, except mine actually hydrolocked the engine PITA 75 miles from nowhere lol. I dropped my oil level down to 3/4 on the safe line and havent looked back since and I have deliberatly abused it trying to get it to smoke and none yet :D I think mine was grossly over filled at the dealership from day one. My incident happend at around 30 km's on the odometer and at around 38 km/h

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it makes me fell better about it, knowing it seems to be common and no real problem.I will check the oil level and drop it. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I did check the oil and turns out it WAS over filled. It came from the dealer that way (IMAGINE THAT). So I pumped out some oil and cleaned out the intake. I then ran it hard for about 30min and no smoke. It seems to be fixed, Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
underdog

high today my teryx started smokeing just like yours it is 7 months old and like yours i hope that oil is the problem i checked my oil is just over the fill line it has been there for about 3 months and has not smoked till today is that still normal . thanks mhjacks /underdog!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts