Teryx HQ banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. Thought I would take care of two birds with one stone.

1. Get my fist post out of the way and
2. Get some feed back on some bolt on performance.

I have a 2009 Monster Edition. So far I have cage, seats, and 4pt belts. Dual batteries w/isolator. Gauge package, Water temp, Oil Temp and Volts. And Four 4” HID’s. This thing is way fun. I have ridden bikes and quads for most of my riding years, so this is my first SxS. Should've done it years ago.

I am looking at either Muzzy Exhaust or DASA. MSD, Muzzy Digi-Tune or PCV programmers. Not sure if I want or "Need" to change the intake.

I am leaning towards Muzzy, and MSD and no intake for now. Does the MSD come pre-programmed for different configurations? If/when I do the intake do I have to send the MSD back to get reprogrammed? Later I plan to do a clutch kit with OD cover, would this also make a difference as far as top end being too lean and need further tuning?

I understand that ideally, one should dyno and have the car “tuned”. But how feasible is this every time one makes a change in setup or different riding conditions? I mainly ride Deserts in So. Cal all year round and Dune riding in the winter months.

Lots of questions and more to come. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Roo the MSD and Teryx is the best setup in my opinion and we ship the MSD pre-programmed for the Muzzy and a timing advance curve.

For a stock motor we don't think there is much gain on throttle bodies and definately not intake.

If you follow along with us as we go thru these mods we will have maps for every step of the way.

Todd

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roo the MSD and Teryx is the best setup in my opinion and we ship the MSD pre-programmed for the Muzzy and a timing advance curve.

For a stock motor we don't think there is much gain on throttle bodies and definately not intake.

If you follow along with us as we go thru these mods we will have maps for every step of the way.

Todd
Todd, Thanks for the reply. Are the maps loaded prior to shipment to me for different configurations? Or would I have to send back the unit to get different maps as I add more performance mods, ie, intake, clutch etc?

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
You do not need to send the MSD out to have new maps put on. They can be downloaded from a computer. The MSD is very user friendly. Seeing as you are mostly riding in the So. Cal deserts you will lots of options for maps as time goes on no matter what setup you are running.

I currently have MSD maps for a
stock car, with Dasa pipes, Dasa filter kit.
FST 840, Muzzy pipes, Dasa filter kit, stock injectors.

Tomorrow we will be building more maps for the following setups.
FST840, Dasa pipes, Dasa filter kit, large injectors and
FST std bore, Dasa pipes, Dasa filter kit w/ and without quiet cores.

·
Registered
165 Posts
fairly sure you can update the msd via plugging it into your computer and download the new maps. new maps should come via email.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roo,

They are right you can just get them via e-mail.

Just make sure what ever you buy as far as a mod is concerned they have the maps for exactly for what you have no matter who you buy it from.

Todd
Okay. Let me make sure I have this straight.

Lets say I want to do my mods in stages, (as money and the wife allow:D)

1st stage: Full exhaust (whatever brand). And at same time a programmer (TBD).
2nd stage add Intake or maybe leave stock (haven't decided yet). I know adding exhaust and intake made a HUGE difference on my 700 Raptor. With a programmer of course.
Then still later:
3rd stage add Clutch kit and clutch OD cover.

I have read on this or another forums even a clutch kit and OD cover could lean out the engine due to higher speeds and engine RPM's and load.

Would I have to let who ever I purchase the MSD from know this in advance so the proper maps can be loaded?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No ...... you can EASILY download the maps. I can e-mail you any of our maps PLUS all of our maps will be available on MSD's website.

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE
You say "will be" But not at the moment? What's with MSD's web site? I can't find any info on their programmer for the Teryx. Is it still too new?

Thanks again all. I know I have many questions. Just don't want to make a HUGE $$$ mistake.

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
You say "will be" But not at the moment? What's with MSD's web site?
I have e-mailed MSD our dasa pipe map. They are working on updating the MSD site. Once it is updated you will see our maps there. For the meantime just PM me and i can send out a map.

I can't find any info on their programmer for the Teryx. Is it still too new?
Yes ...... too new. MSD is working on it and it will all be on there very soon.

Thanks again all. I know I have many questions. Just don't want to make a HUGE $$$ mistake.
No problem ...... i understand 110%

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Okay. Let me make sure I have this straight.

Lets say I want to do my mods in stages, (as money and the wife allow:D)

1st stage: Full exhaust (whatever brand). And at same time a programmer (TBD).
2nd stage add Intake or maybe leave stock (haven't decided yet). I know adding exhaust and intake made a HUGE difference on my 700 Raptor. With a programmer of course.
Then still later:
3rd stage add Clutch kit and clutch OD cover.

I have read on this or another forums even a clutch kit and OD cover could lean out the engine due to higher speeds and engine RPM's and load.

Would I have to let who ever I purchase the MSD from know this in advance so the proper maps can be loaded?
The intake is not going to yield you much on a stock engine.

I don't see a change with clutch mods.

What we are saying is you will have to buy mods or combinations of mods that someone will have a map for.

Example:

You can't buy a MSD from company A, intake from company B, exhaust from Company C and a engine kit from company D and expect to get a fuel map to match what you have and no one will be able to get you one unless you take it to a place that can make one for you with all your mods on it.

People selling the MSD and mods usually have maps to match what they are selling. These places are far and few between. Right now that is Hunterworks, DASA and Muzzy that I know of. You will have to go thru the mod steps with the same company to get the maps.

Take us for example:

Right now we have them for stock exhaust and Muzzy exhaust on a stock engine. Soon we will have one for a 820 Fundy kit and then a standard boare fundy kit both will be with bigger injectors, then we will do a intake change to see if it is needed and if so then a map for along with the rest of the stuff too.

We like to step thru it so you can start where you want and go as far as you want without spending money twice.

Pretty sure the other guys mentioned are doing the same thing. Lot's of the Teryx stuff is new to everyone.

We have had a MSD for the Teryx the longest I guess and several more too before it came out to help MSD on what was needed in the software before it was sold to the public and to make sure there were no issues.

Todd

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mods

Great Info guys, in line with the mods I'm planning soon also.
Good luck to Roo, and thanks for the info from the tech guys....
FST1
Roo, What part of the dez you ridin in?
We stomp around the Cal City area

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great Info guys, in line with the mods I'm planning soon also.
Good luck to Roo, and thanks for the info from the tech guys....
FST1
Roo, What part of the dez you ridin in?
We stomp around the Cal City area
That is my back yard. Great riding. We go to Dove Springs as well.

Roo,
How/ where did you mount the second battery??
FST1
It is mounted under the drivers seat behind (aft) of the stock battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts