Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I do not own a Teryx yet, but I am very close. I have looked at a lot of information over the past few days and have a few questions.

Do I get a 2008 carb model at a good price or spend roughly another $1200 for a new 2009 fuel injected model?

What is working best for performance mods? Is is going to be more money and trouble to mod a fuel injected 09? When I do use it, some driving will be near sea level and some may be at altitude so fuel injection sounds better for this scenario, right?

Also most driving will be on jeep type trails, will long travel suspension be an advantage or disadvantage?

I am an accessory junkie so all the long travel kits, wheels/tires, performance mods, etc. gets me excited :D

Any info will be appreciated

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have an `08 and works great. As for mods, I think the `08 is easier and maybe a little cheaper, plus lots of aftermarket parts available right now. The `09 has some upgrades and improvements but you can do some of them to the `08 if wanted, minus the EFI! The EFI has performance stuff in the works so depends on what and when you want it. Another option would be to find a good used one that someone has already spent the money on in modding it. I find it is always cheaper to buy one that has been built up instead of doing it yourself. Believe me I know how much this toy costs and when you start you can't stop... good luck. :wave:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have a built 08 and a stock 09 and I would buy the 09 and pay the extra 1200 personally. Many factors influence this decision including those that were already mentioned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input guys. I think I will be going with the 2009.

Any suggestions on absolute first upgrades? I was thinking seats/harnesses? Do I need a clutch kit right away? What will work best for jeep trails?

Any more info will be very appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DASARACING:

What do you suggest? I have always been concerned with internal engine mods on any motor. I usually stick to exhaust and intake only. Are the big bore kits reliable? I would hate to have a fast motor that needs constant attention and fine tuning (other than regular servicing). Where should I start?

Thanks again for everyones input.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DRAGONFIRERACING:

Unfortunately the money I would save will not buy your EFI system. Trust me though, I have been to your site so many times over the last week I think I have it memorized.
I am interested in your +6 LT kit. I'm sure the axles supplied are very strong, but I see talk about Gorilla axles, are these really necessary? What do you think makes your suspension kit work well? Does this work well on jeep trails and fire roads or just dunes/sand driving?

Sorry for all the basic questions, I am just trying to learn as much as possible since I am new to the whole side by side market.

Thanks again for any information.

·
Registered
983 Posts
DASARACING:What do you suggest?.
It will all depend on how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go .....

Are the big bore kits reliable?
ABSOLUTELY ....... these engines have been around in the brute force for years. So companies like FST have PERFECTED them.

I would hate to have a fast motor that needs constant attention and fine tuning (other than regular servicing). Where should I start?
Good pipes .... will make HP once you got to a big bore

Dalton clutch ..... comes with everything you need for a stock car and built car.

Dasaracing clutch cap .... will get you the extra 4 - 6 MPH

Dasaracing power commander .... to adjust fuel curve

Dasaracing ignition ........ to remove rev limiter, remove speed limiter and add ignition.

All of the above mods are the ground work. You will keep and need all of them to have a great running big bore. Then you can go to

FST 840 kit ..... adds about 35HP

Dasaracing 38mm throttle bodies ...... adds about 6HP

Dasaracing injectors ..... must have as stock injectors wont support big bore

New Dasaracing intake ...... adds about 4 HP

Thanks again for everyones input.
You are very welcome

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE

·
Registered
451 Posts
DRAGONFIRERACING:

Unfortunately the money I would save will not buy your EFI system. Trust me though, I have been to your site so many times over the last week I think I have it memorized.
I am interested in your +6 LT kit. I'm sure the axles supplied are very strong, but I see talk about Gorilla axles, are these really necessary? What do you think makes your suspension kit work well? Does this work well on jeep trails and fire roads or just dunes/sand driving?

Sorry for all the basic questions, I am just trying to learn as much as possible since I am new to the whole side by side market.

Thanks again for any information.
We now use a 300M axel they are very strong. It is a known fact that Gorilla axles are strong. In our case the Long Travel kit we build, pulls more travel then the axles will articulate. I came from a background of motocross and everyone knows that suspension is first, smooth is fast. I knew I had came to work for the right company when I stood in the shop working on a Teryx at 3am next to Baja Legend Larry Roeseler and the Lead Engineer from Fox Racing Shox Ross Mcnab weighing each corner of the Teryx to make sure we had the perfect balance in the suspension. Are stuff works so well because we put the effort that is needed to make the best suspension out there. We start with boxed in laser cut arms for strength and then go with custom suspension for each brand. Most companies call a suspension shop and say my car weighs x, my length from eye to eye is x please send me some shocks. We have our own set up with both Fox and Elka to have shocks specifically tuned around our kit. Our Teryx is not the same as RZR or as Rhino and so on and so forth. I could keep going all day about the amount of effort going into what we build, because I really love what we do here...haha

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm sorry buschsc, I forgot to tell you that the kit is really well rounded for both trails and dunes. I like the kit most on nasty rutted out trails it really plows its way through so sure footed that you can really get ripping on it. But you can't beat the jumping and woops at the dunes. If you get it and it's not set up the way you want call us up and we will get it the way you like it one way or another. In fact we just flew our lead Tech to North Carolina to tune a car with our ECU system because he was having some issues with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DRAGONFIRE:

You stated: "In our case the Long Travel kit we build, pulls more travel then the axles will articulate.

Are you talking about the axles you provide or the Gorilla axles? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, wouldn't the cv's get damaged by this condition.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for everyone's input. Just bought the 2009 Blue LE today!.

Seats, seat bases, 4 point harnesses, harness bar and doors on order already.

Question again for DASARACING,

Can I install a Muzzys exhaust without any other mods and still have it run good? Or do I need to install exhaust and other items at the same time.

I'm going to have to do a little at a time, this thing is going to get expensive real fast.

Thanks again

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input. Just bought the 2009 Blue LE today!.

Seats, seat bases, 4 point harnesses, harness bar and doors on order already.

Question again for DASARACING,

Can I install a Muzzys exhaust without any other mods and still have it run good? Or do I need to install exhaust and other items at the same time.

I'm going to have to do a little at a time, this thing is going to get expensive real fast.

Thanks again
I bought the exact one tuesday, I love it!!! I have many of the same mods as you in mind, can't wait to start seeing the progress.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took the new Teryx out today. Had a great time, the wife loved it too. This thing will crawl over anything! Thanks again for everyones input.

I see visions of long travel..........and wheels/tires........exhaust..........clutch

oh man this thing is going to get me in big trouble!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would suggest the 09. We just came back from the Black Hills and our 09 run like a charm in any altitude. We use ours for farm and play. I have a full cab that is removable and 14 inch tires. We do lots of long road rides and have no problems. On some weekends we put up to 300 miles plus on it. Only complaint is we started using oil every 100 miles or so. Does anyone else have this concern? Steve form Wisconsin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts