Teryx HQ banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. So this is my first post & I have a problem I need help with. My wife & I were driving our Teryx for the first time & it started running like crap & smoking like crazy & then it died. I thought I was out of fuel, so I checked & it was OK. I started it back up (not easily) & it smoked like crazy for a few seconds & we were able to crawl back home & I parked it. I bought it in Texas (sea level) & I live in New Mexico @ 5200 feet. If the jetting is wrong, will it cause this? I appreciate any help

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Todd,

Thanks for the help! That must have been the problem. I rode around this morning for about 30 minutes and everything seemed to be fine. Is there anyway to prevent that from happening in the future? Thanks again!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Todd, What causes this to happen? Is it a heat issue or too much oil in the crankcase? I've had a Prairie for 4 years and never seen that and I ride with a group that consists of Prairies and Brute Forces. Is this something the Teryx only is doing?, I'm just wondering cause this is'nt the first one I've heard of doing that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don't know about the Teryxs, But my Brute Force would smoke like a 2 stroke on extended wheelies and Right-of-Way hill climbs. Dealership said that oil gets into back cylinder and causes the smoking. Not sure how it gets by rings, but never had a problem, no matter how hard I run it, on level groung.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply, Mouser58. We rode today for about 5 hours, and this thing is a blast!!! It climbs like a scalded ape! We were going up tp 9200 feet in elevation and it ran like a champ. We already have a camping trip planned for next weekend.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It would seem to me that some sort of modified PCV fitting at the end of the hose might work, course I don't know how soon it would plug up with oil, and of course I am not taking into consideration at what effects it might have on vacuum and pressure in air intake. If this blowby is coming into the carb airbox, why not just reroute the hose to empty on bottom of teryx and plug up the hole in the air box. "Excuse me EPA" did I really say that?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Teerible,
Emptying it is what we are talking about with the syphon break. You have a hose, some kind of small tank to catch the oil then another hose with a filter on the end. Not really sure what role the filter plays but that is the way I have seen them. I assume there is some air sucked in during the stroke.

The oil will not run thru the tank and what is in there runs back down into the engine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
have you had a chance to make the syphon break yet? anyone have a picture of one?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have some video of one. There is a thread in the main forum (General Discussion) called Oil in your airbox. The video shows how to tell if you have oil in your airbox, how to clean it up and hopefully a solution, I have the UTVCrap siphon break. Here is the link to the thread http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/kawasaki-teryx-general-discussions/989-howto-vid-do-you-have-oil-your-airbox.html

Here is a screen capped photo of the actual siphon break. It is not the best photo but I think it gives a good idea of what it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
'09 is it efi

I want to purchase a new one but i saw somewhere that the '09 would be fuel injected. This would be nicer if I use this in elevation for hunting. Does anyone know the answer. Also if not does anyone have trouble going form close to sea level(az) to 6-7000 ft on the carburated ones?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I want to purchase a new one but i saw somewhere that the '09 would be fuel injected. This would be nicer if I use this in elevation for hunting. Does anyone know the answer. Also if not does anyone have trouble going form close to sea level(az) to 6-7000 ft on the carburated ones?
sorry disreguard this, I thought i started anew thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Idle is way to high

I have a 2009 teryx that the idle is at 2400rpm checked isc and tps cdi all seem to check out if anyone has had this issue or any ideas on what is wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
wanted- teryx motor in any cond $$$$$$

looking for teryx motor, any good deals on crate motors or good rebuilder in oregon, top dollar paid, thanks, 541-538-8046

1 - 18 of 18 Posts