Teryx HQ banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seemed like it was just cold, so I let it warm up entirely. About half throttle it starts popping with an occasional back fire. I swap the dynatek to the OEM computer, same thing. Air filter is clean, plenum is fine...let it cool down. The warning light didn`t come on, but it felt hot-fan was only on for 15 seconds. Only mods are dynatek and pulled spark arrestor.

Fired up ok, tried another run. Have to ease into the thottle or it pops-lack of power. So during the run I pulled the choke on, and it ran better. Pepped up. I pulled the air box lid and it ran worst. Put the lid back on and partial covered up the intake and it ran better-I though this was pretty odd.

So I didn`t notice any dirt in the carb, jets looks fine. Air & fuel filters are clean, vent isn`t kinked, carb is clean-jets fine, spark plugs look fine (adjusted gap from .034 to .028), getting spark out of both of them-but one seemed a little stronger. It`s acting like the problem is only with one cylinder. Anyone have a rear choke problem? Running out of things to check, I really need to get this diagnosed-only have 25 hours on it. Ran perfect last time out, have a big weekend coming up...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It seemed like it was just cold, so I let it warm up entirely. About half throttle it starts popping with an occasional back fire. I swap the dynatek to the OEM computer, same thing. Air filter is clean, plenum is fine...let it cool down. The warning light didn`t come on, but it felt hot-fan was only on for 15 seconds. Only mods are dynatek and pulled spark arrestor.

Fired up ok, tried another run. Have to ease into the thottle or it pops-lack of power. So during the run I pulled the choke on, and it ran better. Pepped up. I pulled the air box lid and it ran worst. Put the lid back on and partial covered up the intake and it ran better-I though this was pretty odd.

So I didn`t notice any dirt in the carb, jets looks fine. Air & fuel filters are clean, vent isn`t kinked, carb is clean-jets fine, spark plugs look fine (adjusted gap from .034 to .028), getting spark out of both of them-but one seemed a little stronger. It`s acting like the problem is only with one cylinder. Anyone have a rear choke problem? Running out of things to check, I really need to get this diagnosed-only have 25 hours on it. Ran perfect last time out, have a big weekend coming up...

Thanks in advance.
Just a guess....check the wire connections on your coils. It's possible that a wire came loose or is not making a complete connection so 1 cylinder may not be running correctly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a guess....check the wire connections on your coils. It's possible that a wire came loose or is not making a complete connection so 1 cylinder may not be running correctly.
Everything looked fine. I`ll research the manual and take ohm readings. Who has the dynatek coils in stock?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything looked fine. I`ll research the manual and take ohm readings. Who has the dynatek coils in stock?

Got home and:
-added fuel (was 3/4, topped it off), verified fuel filter was fine, and re-routed tank vent
-checked plug wires, cut bad tip off and reinstalled
-put factory CDI, spark arrester, and factory air box lid on
-warmed up still sounded wierd. Pinched of fuel line between pump and carbs until it died. Fired it back up and let it idle for 5 minutes and it sounded like it slowly cleared up. Took it for a spin and it`s fine, no fawkin clue what the issue was-wish I knew what the problem was...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Got home and:
-added fuel (was 3/4, topped it off), verified fuel filter was fine, and re-routed tank vent
-checked plug wires, cut bad tip off and reinstalled
-put factory CDI, spark arrester, and factory air box lid on
-warmed up still sounded wierd. Pinched of fuel line between pump and carbs until it died. Fired it back up and let it idle for 5 minutes and it sounded like it slowly cleared up. Took it for a spin and it`s fine, no fawkin clue what the issue was-wish I knew what the problem was...
What about your fuel pump? I remember I had a wierd issue when I had very low hrs and then finally the shop checked the stock fuel pump and found out it was bad. Replaced it and no further problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about your fuel pump? I remember I had a wierd issue when I had very low hrs and then finally the shop checked the stock fuel pump and found out it was bad. Replaced it and no further problem.
Hmm, I was wondering about the fuel pumps. I`ll check that out tonight. I have touched the jetting yet, still stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts