Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was kind of looking at these two and wondering what the major diff is since you can get the odyssey in comparable amps to that of the optima. The only thing I see is that the optima is about twice as heavy. Which may work for me, as I am wanting to mount my battery up front under the hood. I could use a little weight up there to help the four seater turn maybe a bit better. The optima I can pick up at the parts store and save on shipping. Just wondered which is better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Weight is the enemy. Dont add it if you dont have to. As far as batteries, I just think Odyssey's fit the bill alot better. I found a pc1200 for a hundred bux on craigsexlist. LOL

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm happy with my yellow top optima... Haven't run the odyssey batteries but as long as its a deep cycle battery it should fit your needs... If it isn't a deep cycle then you're wasting your money for this application.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have had both batteries, the odyssey is a true gell cell battery and when not in use, it has to be on a trickle charger constantly or the gell will thicken and the battery will eventually be ruined, i learned that the hard way, im back to using the optima battery, doesnt have to be on a charger all the time, and it is quite a bit cheaper.
sin

·
Registered
282 Posts
i have the odyssey 925...love it...i have 5-4" hids, replacement hid headlights, in dash lowrance gps, and a lighted whip...it is true that when not in use it needs to be on a trickle charger, but the battery rocks! i came back from a night ride last weekend where i ran all 7 lights and my whip...about 30 mins of riding...got home and threw the battery on the trickle charger, and it was completely full-charged full by the stock charing system... so glad i got this battery!

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have a 42 inch vision x led light bar, 2 twelve inch light bars, 2 lighted whips, and stereo with 800 watt alpine amp, i am using the yellow top optima battery, same problem though, when i got home and put it on the trickle charger it took all of five minutes to charge, go figure.
sin

·
Registered
122 Posts
What model optima is that you used? Looks almost like a full sized car battery...how does the stock charging system perform with that large of a battery? I'm planning on either doing an optima, or dual batteries...cant decide which...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine is the model 34/78 and it sells for $189.00 at Checkers. It charges just fine like the smaller battery did, the car battery just has a larger reserve and cca than the small ones.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the stock battery in my 2010 Teryx. I am putting in the SSV audio system and some auxiliary HID lights. Can I get away with one Optima/ Odyssey or do I need two batteries. Will the stock stator take care of charging the larger battery?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the stock battery in my 2010 Teryx. I am putting in the SSV audio system and some auxiliary HID lights. Can I get away with one Optima/ Odyssey or do I need two batteries. Will the stock stator take care of charging the larger battery?
get the pc1200 by Odyssey!

·
Registered
282 Posts
im running 5 / 4" hid's, replacement hid headlights, lighted whip, and an in dash 540 gps...im running the odyssey pc925 and have zero problems...charging system keeps it nice and charged....

·
Registered
526 Posts
sconym how long have you had your pc925 odyssey and why didnt you get the pc1200. Where did you get the pc 925 and what should a man expect to pay for one. Are you saying that you believe that the stock stator on the teryx keeps it charge just fine and there is no need to us a trickle charger at all? And what do you think if I have a amp for stereo. Should I get the optima yellow????? Would my amp draw the 925 odyssey down making me wish that I should of got the yellow optima?

·
Registered
282 Posts
sconym how long have you had your pc925 odyssey and why didnt you get the pc1200. Where did you get the pc 925 and what should a man expect to pay for one. Are you saying that you believe that the stock stator on the teryx keeps it charge just fine and there is no need to us a trickle charger at all? And what do you think if I have a amp for stereo. Should I get the optima yellow????? Would my amp draw the 925 odyssey down making me wish that I should of got the yellow optima?
ive been running this setup for about 6 months now. quite honestly, i got the 925 because that is what my local guy had in stock (plus endi said it would be fine). i think it was right at $150 for the battery. keep in mind that most of your riding will be done during the daytime with the lights (biggest draw on system) off. the stock stator keeps the battery charged fine during my dune trips which usually last 4-5 days. as with any gel battery, while in storage for any amount of time, a trickle charge is needed. these batteries are not designed to completely drain. i do not have any experience with the yellow tops in these cars, but there are lots of guys on the forums who have. endi from side x side customs will probably chime in on this. if not, pm him. he is a guru with this electrical stuff and treat to talk with....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why dont you look into the Optima D51? Its dimensions are very similar to that of the stock battery. I believe it is just a bit taller.
Dimensions are 9-5/16"x 5-1/16"x 8-15/16"

450 cold cranking amps, 25lbs, 66 min reserve capacity

Dont know how this compares to the stock battery.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have a new Optima yellow top with a battery tray designed and laser cut for it to fit the stock location. $175.00 and will work with buyer on shipping, I don't know what restrictions UPS will have on shipping the battery.

I purchased the battery to design and build the bracket specfic to the Teryx. I also have brackets to mount a Odysey 925 in the stock location.

PM me if interested in either setup, the 925 brackets are in stock.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts