Teryx HQ banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 has been sucking oil up since the first day I bought it. I have been complaining to the dealer about it and they would keep telling me that it is not and that all specs were in the correct range. So I have to add about a quart every few days. The oil light would flicker every once and a while as well. Other day I was driving it and bam there she blows. It is at the dealer now awaiting approval to rebuild. Any one else have this happen to them. :mad:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the same issue...BUT...I all ready have the siphon brake installed.

Can’t figure out where the oil is going. Leaks? Oil consumption? I don't know.

I did notice a small leak/seepage around the generator cover. Took the cover off and there is a little oil coming out of the shaft seal. But not enough to be a quart every few days. Also the valve covers look to be a little wet from oil seepage. But again not enough too add up to that amount.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I have the same issue...BUT...I all ready have the siphon brake installed.

Can’t figure out where the oil is going. Leaks? Oil consumption? I don't know.

I did notice a small leak/seepage around the generator cover. Took the cover off and there is a little oil coming out of the shaft seal. But not enough to be a quart every few days. Also the valve covers look to be a little wet from oil seepage. But again not enough too add up to that amount.
What siphon break do you have and is it smoking?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thats because its not connected to the air box anymore. It has its own breather element.
Yes I know. With the SB installed that eliminated the oil in the air box, (so no smoke there). I meant it that now I don't see any other smoke coming from the engine out the exhaust, i.e. oil burn, ring blow by, etc.

But I still have to add oil after long rides, or when I work the engine hard, like hill climbing or high-speed runs. It seems I really have to keep an eye on the oil level.

There was one time the the oil barely registered on the dip stick but no idiot light came on.

Not sure if engine is "burning" the oil and I just don't notice it. But, with the amount of oil I have been adding, I would think if the motor were burning it, it would be noticeable by smoking.

Or if there is an accumulation of small leaks to add up.

The one area that I have noticed, is the left side engine cover is wet with oil. Either way, it doesn't seem to be enough to add up to the oil I have to add.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just thinking outloud, have you tried a compression test to see if your rings are seated properly? theres really no where else it can go other than a leak or into the cylinder? Let me know if you figure it out, im curious as to see what it is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just thinking outloud, have you tried a compression test to see if your rings are seated properly? theres really no where else it can go other than a leak or into the cylinder? Let me know if you figure it out, im curious as to see what it is.
No haven't done a compression test yet. Even if the rings weren't seated properly, wouldn't it blow some smoke? Maybe not alot but enough to notice?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your oil is most likely going thru that filter and down the side of your engine.
Nope, I checked. One time the little filter did have oil on it but nothing down the side of the engine. It would have to be soaked.

That is what is soooo frustrating. I can't figure out where the oil is going.

The problem is, there are no obvious signs.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Nope, I checked. One time the little filter did have oil on it but nothing down the side of the engine. It would have to be soaked.

That is what is soooo frustrating. I can't figure out where the oil is going.

The problem is, there are no obvious signs.
Guess I miss read, thought you said earlier your engine had oil on it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts