Teryx HQ banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So!!!! It happened to me on my second ride out in the new 09 Teryx. I was cruising along at a whopping 35 kms and next thing I know, the throttle goes dead and I am in such a cloud of smoke that I can't see a foot in front of my face.

So here I am 60 kms away from the truck on a sand road with a screw driver and a small 6" adjustable wrench and no spare oil, let alone a sparkplug wrench!!

Anyway, after an hour or so a couple old timers came by and threw me a liter of oil, even had a funnel, it was even 10W40 to boot. Then I figured out it was hydro locked after they left and I had to hop on my buddies 400ex and track down some tools (next time I will be prepared).

Once we finally got going, I kept it around 30 kmh and every now and then I would get a major puff of smoke. I think I was over filled from the dealership. When I took the intake elbow off the throttle bodies they were filled with oil (thank god for the all mighty double roll TP)

I mean I have heard of oil blowing into the intake but WTF, has this happened to anyone else?? Should I maybe run the oil a little lower on the dipstick? Would synthetic help out in this case to keep the oil from pushing out the crankcase vent? This is not cool at all!!! I doubt one of those fancy reservoirs you see online would have helped in this case, any thoughts guys??

·
Registered
67 Posts
I run 5-30 full synthetic in my teryx.Not a drop of oil in my air box.I want to try amsoil 0-30 next oil change for the cold winter start ups.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I am going to do an oil change this weekend and see what happens, I am just a little shy on run time to throw synthetic in. I will just bring it straight to stock specs and go for a good run, I think it is 2.3 liters or something

·
Registered
983 Posts
It is well documented everywhere .... the crankcase venting system sucks on the teryx and once you add mods ... even just adding timing and raising the rev limiter will cause these cars to spout oil into the air box. You will need to modify the system. We will have a killer setup for the 2009 teryx in a few weeks. It will be for use with our new intake.

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I will have a look at it when it comes out but I need to do something now. This unit is still stock and it is giving me issues. I wish I took pictures LOL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah I am going to do an oil change this weekend and see what happens, I am just a little shy on run time to throw synthetic in. I will just bring it straight to stock specs and go for a good run, I think it is 2.3 liters or something
2.2 liters, or 2.3 qts. with filter change.

I wonder how many have noticed in owners manual that they tell you to SCREW THE DIPSTICK IN when checking oil?
This is the only time I have seen this, why not just make it like most
other motors where you just rest it in the hole.
I guess I'm wondering how many people are overfilling during routine check...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I drained the oil and refilled it to specs (almost) I went by the 2.2 liters but that wasn't enough!! I put about 2.5 liters in without a filter change and I am still about %75 on the safe zone. Yes!! I did screw the dipstick in LOL.

All in all though, not a puff of smoke at all and I limited it out on a dirt road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well I drained the oil and refilled it to specs (almost) I went by the 2.2 liters but that wasn't enough!! I put about 2.5 liters in without a filter change and I am still about %75 on the safe zone. Yes!! I did screw the dipstick in LOL.

All in all though, not a puff of smoke at all and I limited it out on a dirt road.
Dude, the capacity is what it is. It is worse to be overfilled as it aerates the oil. A completely dry engine (as in after overhaul) only takes 2.3 liters.
Unless you have added a cooler or something, don't put more in than it calls for.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know!! This isn't my first rodeo lol. I notice my jugs of oil were probably each shy of full by 100ml or so, this will accout for some of the discrepency.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine did the same thing kawi said change the oil so i did and no problems in the last 1000mi or so. the break in oil they have from the factory is crappy

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it's glad to hear I am not the only one lol, and it is great to hear there were no long term consequences.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I figured I would share this with you. My GF and my buddy decided to take advantage of me being gone looking for tools and dis the Teryx lol. My only regret is not taking pics of the oil in the TB's!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts