Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of designing an onboard CO2 system for the Teryx.

Without going into too much detail, would anyone be interested in something like this?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sure if you desing an air powered blender too. Just kidding I know when at the dunes or rock crawling it is a good idea to air down and sometimes we air down to much so this would be a great addition. Some CO2 systems even run air tools so that is a plus for extended trail rides on hard core trails.

·
Registered
119 Posts
CO2 for the tire air pressure? Would it be easier to just use a little air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter?

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, not only would you be able air up tires and reset beads, but you could also potentially run air tools from it.

The output of a little electrical pump would be fine for airing up, however, would not give you the ability of resetting a bead or running any sort of air tools.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am working on tank sizes, however, yes it would be mounted to the cage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a Powertank dealer and had them put together a small system for King Sand Cars. I had the chance to use it at around 11pm at night while our group was riding through the dunes on the way back to camp. We were a long ways out and one of the buggy's hit a witch eye and blew the bead off the rear tire.

Everyone was tired and nobody felt like taking the rim/tire off, heading back to camp to fix it and bringing it back, bolt it on...etc. It would have taken at least a couple hours before we'd be out.

I took my Powertank bottle off my car and walked up to where everyone was staring at the tire and bitching. I told them we might be able to air it back up and held up my little 20oz bottle....they all laughed...as this was a BIG paddle tire we were looking at. Nobody thought that bottle had enough in it to seat the bead.

Couple guys put their weight on the tire to make a seal and I pulled the trigger. The tire got rock hard and seated the bead. When I took it to the paintball shop it was still half full. I was totally impressed....so were my buddy's they all have one now :)

Beats the hell out of carrying a spare tire, jack and tools to remove your wheel. The kit I sell comes with tire plugs and one bottle will last a very long time with side x side tires.

The link to the kit is here:

Power Tank CO2 Air System

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the powertank equipment is top notch. I actually have a 10# Powertank and bracket, however, that mounted to the cage would like like I was distributing propane ;)

Their 2.5# setup is nice though!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think it is Cost prohibitive for our uses, I have set a Bead on many a ATV tire with the little Plug in Compressors and a racthet Strap, Granted our tires are a little bigger than ATV tires but not much

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a valid point for sure. I was also considering it for the potential use of air tools.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree that the Onboard airtanks are the shiznet for on the trail air tools however you would be better off with nitrogen if this is going ot be your primary use. "liquid" CO2 will trash airtools.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another very good point. Well I am all outta things to mention then :) LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have just completed all this research for putting in my hauelr as we go to Pismo frequentl adn I get tired of sitting there with the 1.5 gallon craftsment for a hour to hour and a half filling the tires on the trailer (6) and truck (4 35x 12.50's) and concluded that while more expensive I will be going the 80 cu ft nitrogen bottle set-up for me

For the most part I have no need for this on the trail, rarely am I somewhere where I can not get it back to the trailer or get a truck to it to make repairs that i am unable to on the trail.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am thinking a 2.5# bottle could run an air tool for a little bit. I could be wrong as I have not done the math, however, I think it can.

Nonetheless, I know in our off-road trucks the CO2 came in handy, but now I am thinking not so much on the side x sides.

It was a good topic though, I am glad the discussion took place as ut dud bring up some good points.

In your case, yes, CO2 or nitrogen would be the way to go, to air-up that many tires would take quite some time with a 12v pump.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya that is painful. What C02 setup (or nitrogen) did you end up going with?

·
Registered
119 Posts
buddy of mine works at a welding supply and is hooking me up with everything for a inside price with a aluminum cylinder

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice, so are you going to have an adjustable regulator or just a fixed?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts