Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you had a problem with the Teryx getting too hot? I'm not talking about heat in the cab, that is solved by removing the windsheild. I am talking about the engine overheating. This weekend, I was riding in the river bed at about 3/4 to full pedal for about 30 min. or so, when I happened to look at the digital dash, and the temp symbol was blinking on and off. I slowed down to about 20mph for about 5 to 6 min., and it went away. I don't know how long the indicator had been blinking, but the coolant tank is full. The outside temp was 102 Deg. F, but I had only been riding hard for around 30 min.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I haven't had this problem with mine. I was on a pretty fast paced run last weekend on some hard pack and the fan was working but it never overheated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My fan was working and the radiator is not clogged or anything. I was riding in really soft sand and on the gas pretty hard the whole time. I usually do not pay attention to the digital dash while riding, but I looked down to see how fast that I hit a sand hill, and noticed the indicator blinking, I was doing 58 mph according to the digi-dash. I slowed down and after a few minutes the indicator went off. Now it has me wondering how many times this thing has flashed and I didn't notice it. I wish that it had an alarm or would make some sort of loud sound.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
My recommendation is to make sure your radiator is clean on the outside and completely remove any anti-freeze, fill it with water and add some brand of water wetter. Anything with anti-freeze in it will not cool as well.

Plain water is best for cooling but it causes corrosion, the water wetter breaks the surface tension of water and has a corrosion inhibitor in it.

Then during winter, just drain some water out and add some antifreeze back in. Adding it with the water wetter will not hurt anything during the winter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will the Engine Ice work as an anti-freeze in the winter as well, or would I have to drain the radiator and add anti-freeze each winter?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
They say it will serve as antifreeze. What I know though is anything with anti-freeze in it will not cool as good as plain water. As said above plain water won't do for corrosion and won't lubricate either.

This is where the water wetter comes in. Go down to a local autozone and pick up Water Wetter brand, drain and flush your antifreeze out then refill with water and water wetter.

Next winter, drain some of the water out and then add back with antifreeze for a near 50/50 mix for winter use, then repeat the whole process next summer.

Todd

·
Registered
242 Posts
Todd, Have you tested Engine Ice? If so I'd love to see your results. I was a big plain water and water wetter guy and I was having overheating issues. I tried Engine ice and the overheating problem went away. Nothing else really changed, just the coolant I was using.

If yyou haven't tested it, how would you test it, See what one boiled first?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Put engine ice in my 04 Prairie and it helped quite a bit. It can get pretty cold here during winter time and I've never had a problem. So far the Teryx has'nt ran hot, but if it does I will change it over too. I know wetter works a little better, but I would'nt want to have to change mixes from summer to winter, I'm no expert on this just sharing what worked for me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Test Method

I've always wondered about Engine Ice and if it really works or not (more for the Jeep than the Teryx - my Jeep overheats if you look at it funny).

Would it be a reliable test if you placed the water + water wetter in one pot; water + engine ice in another, in equal measures to keep all things equal, put them both on a stove top, put the burners at the same temperatures, and place a thermometer in each? Whichever boils at the lower temp loses?

It would only really compare water wetter vs engine ice, but since the question is only which cools better, not which prevents freezing better... Of course, the test would not "test" the lubricative properties or corrosion resistance or anything like that, only which boils at a higher temp.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Evans Coolant.

Mikeomo - that may work, may need to compare under pressure but shouldn't make any difference because both would be under the same pressure. I am going to try EVANS Coolant in mine when I get into doing the engine work. I believe Mickey at Four Stroke Tech may use it, maybe he will let us know or ask him about it. I know from what I read it is supposed to be great stuff and will not boil over like anti-freeze or anything with any water content, Evens is all petroleum based, no water. Anyone use Evans coolant or have anything to comment about it???

·
Registered
293 Posts
i ran engine ice in my drag yfz with no fan and never had it overheat.when switching to engine ice,that is all you run,no water

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a brand new 09 Teryx with no engine, suspension or front end modifications. The first weekend I took it to the sand dunes and the outside temp was aprox 67 degrees. The Temp light came on and I was told by the dealer to check the fan relay. The fan was cycling on and off so the relay is fine. This weekend I took it out again and the temp light came on everytime I would slow down and come to an idle. This was after about 20 mins of 3/4 throttle on a level sand road. Once I got up to about 20 mph the light will go off but at a stand still or low speeds it activates again. It seems like the radiator and/or fan might be inadequate for this machine.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I hear ya, at an idle mine would do the same thing...remember movement allows air flow which is key to cooling. Not sure how many hours you have on your '09, however, I have heard reports of cooler running once the motor breaks in.

On a side note, welcome to the site, it is great to have you with us :wave:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wonder if that aluminum fan that Muzzy sells is worthwhile? I plan to talk to them at Dunefest next week.
Jay, Post who you talk to and give us thier answears when you can, I put the Muzzy fan on mine just cause it came with the kit and figured Oh well I paid for it, Why not? . The instructions were poorly done, But the average guy should not need instructions to put this on The fan has six blades compared to about 10 or so on the stock fan and it call for a spacer configuration that simply wont work. They also recomend it because of heat melt down. Which I feel they stole from thier motorcycle write ups as this is not close to a header like it would be in a H20 cooled bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts