Teryx HQ banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share this... Most people probably know about this, so I guess this is for the newbies. I recently installed rear brakes on my 08. Mainly due to forgeting my park brake was on and drive through it for a few seconds before realizing. So I was installing some gauges and a fan overide control and decided to go ahead and put a parking brake alarm. I read that you can buy a relay and 84 dec alarm and wire into your monitor. That will work for a 09. But on an 08 all you need is the alarm. Take your hot of your alarm and tap into keyed power on then take your ground of your alarm and tap into the fat green wire off your park brake switch. This setup works great. Cost $6.50 . It works great can even hear it well over my 840 and muzzys.. The alarm goes off if your bike is running and park brake engaged. Easy fast install and cheap !

·
Registered
318 Posts
how can u tell rear brakes need changing, i know ive left parking brake on a few times. I have know adjustment left on it but parking brake still holds rex when parked on hill. Does parking brake only engage rears??

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how can u tell rear brakes need changing, i know ive left parking brake on a few times. I have know adjustment left on it but parking brake still holds rex when parked on hill. Does parking brake only engage rears??
Well I hate to break it to you but if your parking brake is adjusted all the way then you rear brakes are just about gone. If your park brake still holds on a hill you have roughly 10% left. The park brake does only engage the rear. You will notice a little harder to stop, then your park brake will no longer hold on a hill. I was on a ride and noticed it being alot harder to stop. So, I went down a gravel road and locked the brakes up and looked at the rear wheels still turning and fronts were locked. I didnt really know what to expect but when I tore it down my frictions were completly gone.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had a bad feeling they needed changing, not even 200mls on machine, this thing is a money pit!!!, oh well, where can I get rear brakes, how much, and how much of a project is it??

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a bad feeling they needed changing, not even 200mls on machine, this thing is a money pit!!!, oh well, where can I get rear brakes, how much, and how much of a project is it??
About $75 . Just need 3 friction disk and gasket. 3 to 4 hour job. Take bed off and muffler , rear driveshaft , brake line and park brake cable. Take front cover off rear diff and the brake assy will be in there. Take gasket lock screw out and un stack disk. Remove rear brake master cylinder. This will take slack out so you can restack your disk with new frictions. Remember to re-oil as you put back in the same order. :wave:

·
Registered
114 Posts
About $75 . Just need 3 friction disk and gasket. 3 to 4 hour job. Take bed off and muffler , rear driveshaft , brake line and park brake cable. Take front cover off rear diff and the brake assy will be in there. Take gasket lock screw out and un stack disk. Remove rear brake master cylinder. This will take slack out so you can restack your disk with new frictions. Remember to re-oil as you put back in the same order. :wave:
Boy, would I love to see a video of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts