Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know after reading about the different threads in regards to the parking brake light...I was thinking, why could you not get one of those tiny backup alarms and wire that in line with the parking break warning light. Then when you have the parking brake engaged, you will hear that annoying tone and remember to take the brake off. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It works well

Ya know after reading about the different threads in regards to the parking brake light...I was thinking, why could you not get one of those tiny backup alarms and wire that in line with the parking break warning light. Then when you have the parking brake engaged, you will hear that annoying tone and remember to take the brake off. Thoughts?
I wired in a small 12v buzzer inline with the yellow brake light. When the parking brake is engaged, the buzzer sounds. When I'm in hunting areas, the buzzer is a disadvantage so I also wired in an over-ride switch to kill the sound. I found the 12v buzzer at:

Futurlec, The Electronic Components and Semiconductor Superstore

Cost was $2.5 plus shipping. Its a cheap insurance policy.

:D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great topic! I just came by here to post the same topic/question.

One thing I noticed while out duning last week is that the digital dash is very hard to see when it is dusty and dirty. I was thinking about hooking up an alarm/buzzer that only goes off when you go from neutral into a forward or reverse gear.

Should be easy I'd think. Just need to hook it up so when the neutral light is on, and the brake is engaged it will buzz.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I need to do something....the warnings lights are in the middle, out of the drivers line of sight. I really wish they had put that in front of the driver where it belongs.

I've taken off with the parking brake engage several times. If I use a buzzer of some kind, had better be loud, because my ears are no good, and sadly, getting worse.

I'm thinking a bright light in my line of sight might be a better solution for me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Got to spend a little time on the 'rex yesterday. We got snowed in, so once the power came back on I was able to try and figure out a solution.

What I came up with is a simple buzzer & relay set-up. The buzzer will only come on if the brake is still engaged when the transmission is taken out of neutral.

Once I get the final install done I will post exactly how it's done. I need to get a different buzzer, once they open the roads back up I'm gonna run into radio shack in town.

·
Registered
451 Posts
hook one wire to the Yellow wire for the Neutral, and one to the Green wire for the brake, or are those reversed, i dont remember, but anyways, if you do that you will have a buzzer that comes on when the brake is on and it is in Gear.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hook one wire to the Yellow wire for the Neutral, and one to the Green wire for the brake, or are those reversed, i dont remember, but anyways, if you do that you will have a buzzer that comes on when the brake is on and it is in Gear.
This is why I used a relay. The parking brake wire is neg polarity, & the nuetral light is neg until you put it into gear, making it a low voltage poss (less than 12v) line. The relay only allows the buzzer to go off once you have the poss voltage coming in from the neutral light & and the negative from the parking brake switch.

I didn't want my the "alarm"/buzzer to activate every time the brake was engaged. Only if it was still engaged when put into gear, fwd or rev.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I mis-understood what you meant. I thought the way yours is wired is that the buzzer is activated, makes noise when the brake is applied, until you put it in gear then it goes off.

I meant the buzzer is activated, emits a sound ("goes off") when the brake is still engaged and put into gear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My wife likes to leave my parking brake on and drive off. In addition, I noticed last summer that the Teryx likes to run hot when pushed hard for long periods in soft sand. Both the Yellow Parking Brake light and the Blinking Temp light on the LE are hard to see.
I sat down, looked at the wiring diagram, and bought a couple of buzzers from Radio Shack. I have not wired them up yet, but I have put together a small wiring diagram to keep myself from getting confused.
The only one that I am not sure about is rather or not the Neutral wire will have enough low voltage Positive to trip the relay. The Oil and Temp should work fine. I will try to put it all together this weekend. I have attached the wiring diagram.
If this works, it should let me know if, A-the Parking Brake is left on When put in Gear, B-The machine runs hot, C-the oil Pressure drops.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wired this up this afternoon. Following are the Results:

OIL Pressure Switch - I had to wire this a little different than the diagram, and it worked. BUT, the side effect was that the entire background on the digital dash would stay on. So I disconnected it and scraped the idea.

Parking Brake - At first, this one did not work. The Neutral wire did not have enough low voltage Positive to trip the relay. I made a trip to the autoparts store and got a more expensive relay and now it works fine. There are some side effects to this as well. Anytime the transmission is in Neutral, the parking brake light is ON. So both lights work together now. You don't get one without the other. I can live with that. Also, the Teryx can be started in any gear as long as the parking brake is set. If the parking brake is set, and you put the Teryx in any gear other than Neutral, the alarm will sound.

TEMP Switch - This one works flawlessly with no side effects.

Attached is the final diagram that I used to wire everything up.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wired a 90db tu-tone alarm without a relay, pos. to yellow neutral wire and neg. to green parking brake wire just like Dragonfire mentioned. Works like a charm, it only sounds when brake is applied and you put it in gear. This is a easy $5 mod that is needed IMO.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wired a 90db tu-tone alarm without a relay, pos. to yellow neutral wire and neg. to green parking brake wire just like Dragonfire mentioned. Works like a charm, it only sounds when brake is applied and you put it in gear. This is a easy $5 mod that is needed IMO.
Where are these wires located? Could the neutral wire be light green? That is the only color I saw on the Wiring diagram in the shop manuel. Are the coming out of the back of the Digital Dash?
Will this work on 08 and 09?
Thank You...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Where are these wires located? Could the neutral wire be light green? That is the only color I saw on the Wiring diagram in the shop manuel. Are the wires coming out of the back of the Digital Dash?
Will this work on 08 and 09?
Thank You...
Any help here?

·
Registered
158 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts