Teryx HQ banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anybody out there is running any kind of Performance fuel? I'm talking about "VP" "Turbo Blue" etc... I'm sure the racers are. I'm talking about everyday woods, mud and gereral trail riding. If so, any noticeable difference from 93+ pump gas?

Later on :wave:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I read an article in QUAD magazine about this. Unless you are running high compression, they say that it makes no difference. It said that the "oxygenated" fuels helped a little, but for $5.00 + a gallon, it is not worth the minimal gains. They recommended just running the mid grade gasoline for optimum performence in stock or mildly modified engines. This also applys to car engines also.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The same article also stated that performance could decrease on non modded engines. I have experimented with my race quad and had no gain on the dyno in the same day dyno runs. However when I went to high compression piston the high octane fuel was required. I wouldn't waste the money in the teryx unless you have higher compression.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuels

Thanks Ya'll
I have some family and friends that run turbo blue in their Rhino's. Wasn't sure if there were any gains. Sure does smell good though! Thanks again.

Later on :wave:

·
Registered
668 Posts
You are correct, I wish my hauler got that! Any way it was just a joke, it has been proven that the higher octane DOES get better MPG, but that is about it, depending on where you get it.....I guess...I have heard that lower octane contains more ALCOHOL and that is worse for your engine...only what I've heard...don't know if that is true.
I am still sticking with the 91, my preference,.....is it wrong...probably(?)(?)(?)...is it right...probably, so who cares?!?!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You probably get better mileage because higher octane fuel molecules are larger thus the number. Larger molecules produce more heat.

The 91 octane is a waste of money if you're ok with 87 and if your gas station has alcohol in it then both do.

Supposedly small engines have issues with ethanol and say they are bad on some components. I don't know enough about this though.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Supposedly small engines have issues with ethanol and say they are bad on some components. I don't know enough about this though.
my father in law has been fooling with everything motorized for atleast 40yrs and he says the same thing. he has never explained it to me, but i think i will ask. There also happens to be a little gas station about 2 miles from his house that sells gas with no ethanol...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts