Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems everything is held together with push pins any more. I tend to butcher them popping them out with a screwdriver. I'm sure there is a tool for this....but is there a CHEAP workable tool? What's everybody else using to remove push pins?

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I have just been using a small flathead screwdriver...if you put the tip into the recessed area and then lightly twist the screwdriver, that center pin should pop up. I then remove that center pin and the other piece. When I go to re-install I simply reverse the process.

With that said, I am not sure if there is a specific tool for the job.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Excellent, thanks for the information. I may have to check it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just took a piece of 1.5'' by like 10ga. about 8" long, cut a slot in the end of it about a 1/4 wide (just wide enough for the inner pin) and about an inch deep, bevel the end (like a wood chisle, but not that sharp), and then put about a 20 degree bend about 3 inches from the forked end. remove all burrs and sharp edges per ASME 14.5M-1994;)

just think prybar, pickle fork when ur making it

i can usually get about 7-8 cycles out of a pin before its trashed

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not a cheap tool, but high quality.pinch once for pin lift and spring opens tool back up.Place jaws under base of pin and pince to remove. part # 3729 (KD tool) that you can get at NAPA along with the pins. Pins are about the same price as dealer,part # 665-2389.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Seems everything is held together with push pins any more. I tend to butcher them popping them out with a screwdriver. I'm sure there is a tool for this....but is there a CHEAP workable tool? What's everybody else using to remove push pins?
I found a great tool in the local hardware store. Its called a thumb tack remover. It looks like a screwdriver with a slightly bent end and a fork at that end (like a small claw hammer). You would swear it was meant for the push pins. Works like a champ

·
Registered
99 Posts
I remeber seeing the tool in the Teryx Service Manual. I don't have the part number with me, but they most likley want an arm and a leg for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
made the perfect tool out of a $3.00 pair of pliers off the cheap tool bin and die grinder and about 5 minutes. added bonus is throw them in the glove box so you have pliers and pin tool with you always
they work absolutely perfect could make these all day.
oh you do have to make the node a little narower to fit the grove.

also dosen't harm pins at all

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
made the perfect tool out of a $3.00 pair of pliers off the cheap tool bin and die grinder and about 5 minutes. added bonus is throw them in the glove box so you have pliers and pin tool with you always
they work absolutely perfect could make these all day.
oh you do have to make the node a little narower to fit the grove.

also dosen't harm pins at all
You should sell that Sh!t...LOL:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
hell it was easy enogh but if you guys want me to put some together make an offer and I'll see how many pairs I can get and make:D:laugh:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Kind of the same idea but I used an old pair of side cutters and die grind a small hole closer to the pointed end, works good on digging them out and when you get mad at it you can cut its head off!:laugh:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Kind of the same idea but I used an old pair of side cutters and die grind a small hole closer to the pointed end, works good on digging them out and when you get mad at it you can cut its head off!:laugh:
:laugh:HAHAHA...Mine would all have their heads cut off!!!:laugh:

·
Registered
52 Posts
have to go to the hardware store today will see what they have...anything to help teryx people... I was so frusterated with those stupid pins had to go into the clutch twice in 2 weeks. the longest part of it is getting those pins out... till I made these piers:D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's very similar to what I ended up doing....seems to work fine. Bottom line...everything on the market is waaaayyyy overpriced, just make your own.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts