Radiator-clean *
Joint boots – inspect
Air cleaner-inspect *
Spark plug-clean and gap inspect
Engine oil-change *
Oil filter-replace *
Fuel system cleanliness-inspect *
Front and rear final gear case oil-change

First off I just want to say I Inspect all of the easy stuff first just in the order I have listed above.

*Item such as Fuel system, Air filter, Engine Oil, Radiator, Front Brakes. Need to be serviced more frequently when riding in extreme conditions.

Specifications
Choke knob free play: 0 - 1 mm (0 - 0.04 in.)
Spark Plug Gap: 0.7 - 0.8 mm
Engine Oil: SAE10W-40 (Capacity 2.3 quarts when filter is replaced)
Oil Filter: part number 16097-0003
Front Gear Case oil: (10w-40) (0.95 QT)
Rear gear case oil: Mobil Fluid 424, or Citgo Trasgard Tractor Hydraulic Fluid, Exxon Hydraul 560 (1.06 QT)
Brake Pads Front lining thickness 3.9 mm (0.15in)

CHOKE
Things to check on the choke make sure the choke slide smoothly when you pull it. If not check the cable it may be damaged or need to be lubed
To determine the amount of choke cable play at the knob,
Pull the choke knob out and measure.
You should have about (0-1mm or 0-0.04 in)
If not adjust the cable

Brake System
Do a visual on the brake fluid I like to touch thinks so I would feel on the reservoir to see if I get fluid on my hands and if so then you have other problems it should be dry! If it is low then the next thing I would inspect is the front brake pads low fluid should indicate pad wear I also take a look at rotors to make sure they don’t look damaged in anyway.
If the fluid is really low then it may be time to replace the pads.
Check thickness 3.9 mm (0.15in) on the pads, if they still look new and are within specs but you have really low fluid then something else is wrong.

Radiator
The radiator should be free of anything blocking air flow here again I’m just doing a visual.

Joint boots
Same with boots just a visual to make sure they are clean and dry with no grease coming out. Look for torn or worn boots; if so time to replace the boot or axle. I also look at Tie-Rod and the steering rack while I’m checking down here just to make sure that they look ok and have no torn boots.

Air cleaner
If you have ever owned a dirt bike same rules apply.
But check to make sure it is not ripped or torn.
If so replace

Spark plug
Remove the spark plugs check the gap
Spark Plug Gap
0.7 - 0.8 mm (0.028 - 0.031 in.)

Engine oil-change
This is not too hard first you need to remove a cover
to get access to the drain.
Kind of a no brainer I would think drain oil and replace filter.
Follow specs for Torque
Drain Plug 14 ft·lb
Filter 13 ft·lb part number 16097-0003
I like to look at the old oil just to make sure I don’t see anything that should not be in there.

Fuel system cleanliness
This one to me is kind of lame IMO but this is what the dealer says they do on the first 20 hour service.
You need to remove a check valve that is located at the end of the carbs overflow hose.
They want you to drain the bowls on the carbs to see if you get water or dirt coming out.
This is the one part of the 20 hour service I skipped
Takes a special tool HEX 3 57001-1269

Front and rear final gear case oil-change
Here again this is not to bad Kawasaki says to warm the vehicle so the oil will pick up and any goodie floating in the oil.
Drain the oil and torque the drain bolt to 11ft-lb
Fill the gear case up to the bottom of filler opening with
(10w-40) Oil. Torque the cap to 22ft-lb.
The rear is the same deal drain and torque the drain plug to 11ft-lb and fill the rear with one of these brands.
MOBIL FLUID 424, CITGO TRANSGARD
TRACTOR HYDRAULIC FLUID or EXXON
HYDRAUL 560
And fill gear case to the bottom of the filler opening torque the cap to 22 ft-lb.

With all this being said I take no responsibility this is just my version of the first 20 hour service that the dealer wanted way too much money for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Service

I did my own service
but I have not changed the rear diff fluid. I'm having a hard time finding anything less than five gallons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did my own service
but I have not changed the rear diff fluid. I'm having a hard time finding anything less than five gallons.
You should be able to get a small bottle from your dealer for around $6 or $7.That is where I have allways got mine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just ordered a kit from Az_Amsoil he sells a kit with Amsoil products, and a Wix filter for $65 delivered. Might be able to beat that shopping around but I liked the easy part of having it dropped off at my doorstep so I can just do it and get it over with ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just ordered a kit from Az_Amsoil he sells a kit with Amsoil products, and a Wix filter for $65 delivered. Might be able to beat that shopping around but I liked the easy part of having it dropped off at my doorstep so I can just do it and get it over with ;)
Thanks for the plug!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts