Teryx HQ banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get some new rims and tires for the dunes.

What offset does everyone recommend?
I can get 3-4, 2-5, or 5-2.
I want it to be wider than stock, but not damage front end parts.

What is the stock offset?

Thanks,

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
While I am not an expert, I believe the 5-2 is pretty much the stock offset, so you could do a 4-3 to gain an inch on either side. I suppose it is really a matter of just how wide you want to go. In my case I am doing a 5-2 because I am going to with a long travel kit. Lets see what some of the other owners are running.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you plan on a long travler kit then do 5-2 all the way around. If no plans for a long travel then either do 5-2 front and 2-5 rear or 4-3 all around. I did 5-2 front and 2-5 rear and then added 1.5" spacers to the front. Some people have compained about difficulty steering with the spacers but I have no issues. 1.5" spacers in the front is as big as I would go though.

Of course if you plan on long travel, do 5-2 all the way around and then add wheel spacers to all 4 and sell the spacers when you do the long travel. Most Rhino guys that do not do long travel do 5-2 front and 2-5 rear.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I thinbk Todd did the 2-5 on his race rhino and toasted all the ball joints. too much pressure and screws up the front geometry.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would stay as close to stock as possible. If the offset in increased, especially in the front it will have a negative effect on steering and control. The more outward offset the more the whole tire will have to arc and scrub to make a turn. To keep geometry at its best draw an imaginary line directly through the upper and lower ball joint and the centerline of the tire should be pretty darn close to that. It does not make that big a deal on non steering tire and wheels (rears) but it does increase the load by changing the leverage point also.

Offdsets and wheel spacers are cheaper then new suspension arms but not the best option in my opnion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I am going to go with 4-3 all the way around. I am not going to go longtravel, and will only use these in the sand, as I will be putting paddles in the back, and AMS Diamond tracks on the front.

I will let everyone know how they look, and perform in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so i bought some ITP SS wheels. 12 x 7 with a 4-3 offset. (thinking they would be a little wider and work great for the Dunes....................

:confused:

Nope, they are EXACTLY the same width as stock in the front. I just don't get it. A 5-2 offset that some places sell look they would hit the ball joints on the steering.

Now i need to think about spacers, or see if i can send these back.

Any ideas, or other experience?

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Well I hope the 5-2 do not hit the ball joints cause that is what is on the way to me.

I am under the impression that the 5-2 is the stock offset and that 4-3 would have given you an additional 1" on either side...but you say that is not the case. Hmmm, now I am a tad concerned.

You can do spacers, a lot of people do.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
The 5+2 are working fine over here :good:

·
Registered
7 Posts
i should be getting my ss 108's thursday..i believe they are 4+3....i am going to mount the stock tires on for now...will there be any clearance issue's with the tie-rods? are the 5+2 wider than the 4+3's?

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
No you will actually be sticking out 1" wider on either side.

·
Registered
75 Posts
IMHO, you should try to run 5/2 offset if possible. As others have mentioned, additional offset really screws up the front geometry.
In addition to that, the hub bearing dimensions (front and rear) on the Teryx are smaller than the Rhino and I am confident that they will be a future failure item. we alrady see problems with bearings on Rhinos and the teryx is heavier and makes more power.
This isn't a doom and gloom statement, however. It isn't going to fail overnight. I just like to give everyone the best information possible.

HRT's race Teryx took a hit to the left rear at the last CORR race and it broke the outer CV/stub axle off right next to the outer hub bearing. This part is smaller than the Rhino too. We knew this was going to be a weak point but didn't think it would be an issue the first time out. Our Rhino has taken more hits in 2.5 years of racing and has never had a failure like this.

Not everyone is racing obviously, but it is something to think about when choosing wheels.

Also, if going long travel, you need to know if the kit will accept standard offset wheels. Some do and some do not. I think some even require a 14" wheel. HRT Motorsports +5" long travel kits fit the stock wheels, any offset, and 12" or 14" wheels.

Hope this info helps!

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Something else to keep in mind...I am running a 14" 5+2 HiperTech carbon fiber wheel, this wheel is a dual beadlock, therefore, the inner beadlock actually makes the inside diameter of the wheel smaller, which on some LT kits could cause a problem.

·
Registered
516 Posts
14" Wheels

Have the SS212 coming in chrome and machined for myself and a friend. They are going to be 14x6 fronts, 14x8 rears, front are 4-2, rears 5-3, running 27" XTR's - anyone running this combination yet and what do you think??? I will have the machined set next week for my buddy so will test out next weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
guys i wanna see some pictures of the different wheels and tires you have been talking about.

i am thinking ab out the dwt diablo beadlock for my stock teryx

all this talk about offset has me thinking and i would like to see what they look like witht he different wheels possibilities.

gonna stay stock suspension just upgrade power a little bit.

thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts