Teryx HQ banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did two kinds of dyno runs to check out the Gibson slip on comparing it to the stock system with the tip removed.

First was a standard wide open throttle run

The second was a test I came up with which had a 25% load on and started out at 10mph to simulate being on the trail and gassing on it.

I also did a sound test, the results for the stock system with no tip was 93.5 db and the Gibson slip on what 96.5 db so there is a noticable difference.

As for power there is a .67 hp gain at peak on the standard wide open test but there was about a 2hp gain at around 50 mph.

On the loaded tested there was .90 hp gain at peak, the chart below does not show the difference in the peak on the loaded test. After about 25mph there was about a 2hp gain with the Gibson all the way thru.

No change in jetting was required, the air/fuel ratio varied only slightly from the set up from our jet kit and the stock pipe with no tip.

So the main question is, is the less than 1 hp to 2hp gain worth the price of $350 to you.

The secondary question is, would these numbers be that much different with cams or high compresion pistons? Most likely.

To view the dyno chart click the link below, then click on the full view in the upper left corner.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I might have been a little unfair because I was not comparing the Gibson to the stock exhaust with the tip still in. With the tip still in, the gain would be slightly over 3hp at peak.

The reason I am comparing the systems to the stock with tip out is, it is free and most people are doing that and the next step would be buy a exhaust but I would not don't buy this one for that small amount for that amount of money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks Todd for a good and fair test Todd. I wonder how they got and claim 7hp???? 2-3hp is not worth the price for me in cost or noticable higher db's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
:yahoo: I can't wait to see the results of the muzzy's!!!:yahoo:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the Muzzy almost on this afternoon and I now to take it back off to put the weld on bungs for the two O2 sensors in.

I dread rejetting again, and the uninstall, reinstall and then finally uninstall for the next one. Now you know why I did the slip on first, it was easy and I am lazy.

My day consisted of phone and email this morning, putting insulation in our new office walls until after lunch then back to office and shop for the muzzy install, home for a snack, back to the new office for more insulation then to Hunter's baseball practice then finally in my recliner. I only went thru four shirts due to sweat today.

Gosh I hope I find a exhaust that works, so this pays off!!

And yes I just had some cheese to go with my whine!!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Got the Muzzy almost on this afternoon and I now to take it back off to put the weld on bungs for the two O2 sensors in.

I dread rejetting again, and the uninstall, reinstall and then finally uninstall for the next one. Now you know why I did the slip on first, it was easy and I am lazy.

My day consisted of phone and email this morning, putting insulation in our new office walls until after lunch then back to office and shop for the muzzy install, home for a snack, back to the new office for more insulation then to Hunter's baseball practice then finally in my recliner. I only went thru four shirts due to sweat today.

Gosh I hope I find a exhaust that works, so this pays off!!

And yes I just had some cheese to go with my whine!!
I know what you mean. I had wine and cheese myself when I had fitment issues with my front header and had to remove then reinstall, a PITA the first time to install. It is much easier and quicker the second time around. From what I gather from talking to my welder, it is hard to get the big thick bungs hot enough apparently to take with the thin walled stainless pipes. I used the longer/thicker HW bungs, not the thinner and shorter one that came with the F/A Meter.

With the Air/Fuel ratio gauge, I am running 136F 138R now with UNI Element and one TPI open.

We all really appreciate your work Todd. You RULE man!!! Thank you!! Can't wait to hear the results.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah Thanks Todd I was all pumped up on there 7hp claim but it still being close to the stock dbs. where I was sceptical was that much of a power gain with the small stock header pipes. Thanks again for saving me the cost of a Daulton clutch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Todd
The clutch statment was that I would rather spend $400 on an uprgade that works or shall we say worth it. On the header pipes I was told by a guy that builds racing engines and from BBR that the pipes should start small and increase in size in stages to create a vacume effect to suck the exaust out of the engine. The BBR pipe on my pit bike increases three times before it gets to the silencer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts