Teryx HQ banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a Optima Yellow top battery I am looking to do something with on the Teryx. I am running no more than an 800 watt stereo, HID head lights, HID fog lights, and some 55w halogen reverse lights.

I am not a fan of having to charge it after each ride and would like something that could be handled by the teryx system. So i guess the question comes down to whither a stator upgrade is needed? should i do dual odyssey? what is my best option? If i should get rid of the optima (brand new, never used) would anyone be interested in taking it as a trade in on a new system?
Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Change it after every ride? Damn how long are you running it without re-charging it? Nothing is going to keep up with the amount of power you're pulling the optima should last quite a while being discharged but when you park it for the night you're going to have to put it on a charger to bring it back up.

I run 55w HID's with 2 speakers/w3 JL sub/400w amp and have had no problems out of my optima really and have run it from 12:00pm to 4:00AM... given the battery was getting low by the time we got back it made it and while i snoozed i left it on charge and it was ready to go the next day. This is never getting the radio off only down maybe...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you run it as your primary battery?
What type of charger do you use for yours? Honestly no more than I get to ride, time sitting would drain it faster.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It doesnt matter which after market battery you run, I think most will work for your application. The biggest problem is that the stock stator will not keep up enough to keep an aftermarket battery fully charged. Your battery will last with out charging after every ride but it will never be brought back to a full charge and the battery will not last as long. The easy route is to wire in a Battery tender and charge it occassionally to bring it back to a full charge. Doesn't have to be after every ride but at least once a month to keep the battery in top shape. Your yellow top will work just fine and even if you did install dual Odyssey batteries you will run into the same problem.

The next best option in my opinion is to install a alternator as I am not a huge fan of rewinding the stators on these. just my .02

·
Registered
339 Posts
And I have a brand new Optima yellow top that has only been out for two short day trips. I will include the battery mount that bolts into the stock location. $175.00 and willing to work on the shipping costs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just installed a new Optima D75/25 battery in my o8. I had to move one bracket and drill two holes for the stock hold down. I had to purchase two 8" long bolts and turn the stock hold down piece around. piece of cake. Got the battery at Napa for $169

1 - 8 of 8 Posts