Teryx HQ banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
If your talking about the engine intake, I can't help you, because I haven't gotten there yet.

If your snorkeling the clutch case, then there are some things you've got to keep in mind.

1) the clutch creates a lot of heat. No matter what set up you use, you will be making this worse, and that has an affect on the life of your belt.
2) there is no way to snorkel the exhaust side and keep it at the original 3", you have to reduce it to 2", which reduces the air flow through the system.
3) The more bends and the tighter they are, the more you reduce the air flow.

That being said, the stock system is garbage and poorly designed. There's little option for me and where I ride. I had to snorkel mine.

My intake I ran straight from the clutch, along side the drive shaft, under the hood. That way I didn't have to put any 180 degree bends in the line, (such as when you put it behind the seats). I had to put a shroud around it though, because of the splashes from the front tires. Works really well. I never get a wet belt anymore.

The exhaust side, I used a 3" to 2" Rubber fitting. I put it into boiling water before I put it onto the clutch case, (made it really easy). Then I used a 45 degree elbow and ran it up behind the passenger seat. I only made it a foot long.

Only issue with my set up is the heat build up. The back of the passenger seat gets quite hot. The exhaust line gets so hot that it melts the black (ABS) plumbing pipe I used. When it melts, it shrinks and the hose clamp lets go. The water gets in the exhaust side. I need to make the exhaust line out of steel some how.

Some guys will tell you that you are stupid to snorkel the Teryx, because there are already heat issues with the stock set up, and the Teryx is known to have belt issues. But I simply had no choice. My riding area is far to wet, and everybody I ride with has quads, so they can go anywhere. So far, I've had no belt problems.... It's been about 500 miles since I did my ride.

There are several threads on this topic at the other site. Might be here too, but I haven't checked.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If your talking about the engine intake, I can't help you, because I haven't gotten there yet.

If your snorkeling the clutch case, then there are some things you've got to keep in mind.

1) the clutch creates a lot of heat. No matter what set up you use, you will be making this worse, and that has an affect on the life of your belt.
2) there is no way to snorkel the exhaust side and keep it at the original 3", you have to reduce it to 2", which reduces the air flow through the system.
3) The more bends and the tighter they are, the more you reduce the air flow.

That being said, the stock system is garbage and poorly designed. There's little option for me and where I ride. I had to snorkel mine.

My intake I ran straight from the clutch, along side the drive shaft, under the hood. That way I didn't have to put any 180 degree bends in the line, (such as when you put it behind the seats). I had to put a shroud around it though, because of the splashes from the front tires. Works really well. I never get a wet belt anymore.

The exhaust side, I used a 3" to 2" Rubber fitting. I put it into boiling water before I put it onto the clutch case, (made it really easy). Then I used a 45 degree elbow and ran it up behind the passenger seat. I only made it a foot long.

Only issue with my set up is the heat build up. The back of the passenger seat gets quite hot. The exhaust line gets so hot that it melts the black (ABS) plumbing pipe I used. When it melts, it shrinks and the hose clamp lets go. The water gets in the exhaust side. I need to make the exhaust line out of steel some how.

Some guys will tell you that you are stupid to snorkel the Teryx, because there are already heat issues with the stock set up, and the Teryx is known to have belt issues. But I simply had no choice. My riding area is far to wet, and everybody I ride with has quads, so they can go anywhere. So far, I've had no belt problems.... It's been about 500 miles since I did my ride.

There are several threads on this topic at the other site. Might be here too, but I haven't checked.

Good luck.
Why is there no way to use 3"?

·
Registered
167 Posts
There is not enough room between the box frame and the clutch cover, and there is an odd angle on the exhaust port.

If you had something cast, or custom fabricated, then sure you could probably make it work, but if your shopping at the hardware store,..... well, you just SOL.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you cut the frame away and re-welded and alternative around the 3" elbow. I've also been thinking about a snorkle that you would see on a Jeep or Landrover. A rectangular piece (located at the top over the hood) that gives you the airflow but does not do it in circle but a rectangle that fits between the frame area. Not sure if my description makes sense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im in the middle of doing my 09 so I will let you know how it goes. Im thinking about getting some 2 inch exhaust 45s and straights and just weld it together for the exhaust side and do away with the heat issue and maybe sleeve it on the top with pvc to match the others.

So are you guys strapping the pipes or just letting it float?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts