Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way of getting rid of this sound with the stock exhaust? I do a lot of riding at 10-15 mph, an that seems to be when it's at it worst. I have the SA removed. I don't want to spend a lot of money to do it either.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I am kinda thinking that is what you are hearing as well. A tip may help mellow it out for you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys, I put on a tip...and it added more throat to the sound, and actually cut the noise just a bit. From behind the Teryx when it takes off...it sounds pretty good. BUT...from the drivers seat that sputtering sound is still there. It is homemade, but can't imagine the boughten one would be any different. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the store bought one, and mine still makes the spuddering sound. I think that it has something to do with the stock jetting.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I am thinking it is a jetting thing...if I am understanding correctly, you accelerate then let off to come to a stop and it sputters? Can you tell, is it coming from the exhaust or is it coming from the airbox?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have tried and still own the ebay Billet one (that come with spark arrestor screen) and the stainless "power tip" and the sputtering sound is still there in the drivers seat with both of them. The power tip is a good bit louder than the billet tip and sounds a lot lower and throatier and kinda masks the sputtering a little more than the billet.

I preferred the billet and I had to have a spark arrestor to ride in the local national forest land.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the Dynateck cdi, and HWTodd carb kit with larger jets. I get the sputter from just about idle to 12-13 mph....right in that 'puttin' speed, which I do a lot of. I do have a slight miss/flat spot where the carb transition from the fuel mixture circuit to the needle, but that’s another issue I’m working on, and I don’t think it’s part of this problem. Especially since others notice it as well. The sputter is inherent in the exhaust somehow. If you aren’t riding in it….you don’t really notice it.

Do we have other Teryx owners who do NOT have the sputter. If so then it might be an exhaust gasket/connection something like that.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have the Dynateck cdi, and HWTodd carb kit with larger jets. I get the sputter from just about idle to 12-13 mph....right in that 'puttin' speed, which I do a lot of. I do have a slight miss/flat spot where the carb transition from the fuel mixture circuit to the needle, but that’s another issue I’m working on, and I don’t think it’s part of this problem. Especially since others notice it as well. The sputter is inherent in the exhaust somehow. If you aren’t riding in it….you don’t really notice it.

Do we have other Teryx owners who do NOT have the sputter. If so then it might be an exhaust gasket/connection something like that.
Interesting that you say that. I also have the DT CDI and Hunterworks kit. Since I went to Muzzy exhaust the sputter sound now sound like a dead/flat spot like you mention and not like a sputter with the stock exhaust. Maybe the dead spot is 100% of the problem? It is not that bad, but with the Muzzy system and being in front of a crowd last weekend, I wanted my Teryx to sound good and it definitely was hard to drive it and mask the dead spot with the louder Muzzy's. So much so that I rejetted it and worked the screws because it sounded so bad. I got it a lot better, but not perfect. Can't wait for the air/fuel mixture ratio gauge to get it jetted and tuned the best I can. I will report back if it fixes the sputter/miss/whatever it is.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thats kinda odd, Mine does'nt do this. The only thing that I have done is removed the spark arrester screen and cut about a inch and a half off the tail pipe. I'm waiting to see what everybody else is doing, and then see what works best and go that route.
If I feel the need to go fast I just get the prairie out, I've done everything to it, but a bore kit, trying to make sure I don't loose any reliability. One of the best things I did to it was have the clutch machined and lightened, really made a difference, I've played with all the different springs and finally settled on a pink drive and a stock brute 750 driven. I'm interested in the dalton kit, just waiting for some reviews.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I also have the same sputtering type of sound, I have DT CDI -Non program, and the hunter carb and the powertip exhaust. I seem to notice it most at around a 20-30 mph. I was thinking that it was a fuel/air problem, not only can I hear it, but I can feel it, that's what made me think it was an fuel ratio problem, I adjusted and changed jetting several times and still can't get it resolved.

Todd is going to tell us if we would buy the air/fuel gauge we would resolve it ( :p ) I can hear it now.......maybe someone should rent their gauge out!!! :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Honestly, The Teryx has enough power for most of us, but like most you always want just alittle more. A few years ago I would have been throwing money at mine to see what works and what won't, but a kid in college and another a few years out, I'm apt to let someone else do the leg work. Thats why I like this site, you have the guys that will spend whatever it takes to get the most out of Teryx, hit or miss, so the rest of us can learn from what they do. When I did my prairie I bought this and that to see what worked, and I ended up with alot of parts that did'nt work.
So to all you guys out there doing the research, thanks, it is appreciated by the guys who don't have the time or money.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I also have the same sputtering type of sound, I have DT CDI -Non program, and the hunter carb and the powertip exhaust. I seem to notice it most at around a 20-30 mph. I was thinking that it was a fuel/air problem, not only can I hear it, but I can feel it, that's what made me think it was an fuel ratio problem, I adjusted and changed jetting several times and still can't get it resolved.

Todd is going to tell us if we would buy the air/fuel gauge we would resolve it ( :p ) I can hear it now.......maybe someone should rent their gauge out!!! :D
My sputter is at alot lower RPM, about as slow as I can putt around in H and L both or just slightly faster but still pretty slow. It almost makes it hard to work the gas pedal right between on the power and slight reduction in power... that seems to be where it sputters somewhat more.

I do not have the sputter at speed at all like you are describing. Kinda good news actually, makes this look more like a tuning issue as the most likely culprit! :)

Problem with rental or loaning is that on the Teryx, you need two bungs to weld into your exhaust headers 16 to 18 inches from the exhaust port I think it was for the sensor. There is a video of Todd doing a Rhino on the Hunterworks site. Once I watched that, I figured why not give it a try. I think I will like it, can't wait to perfect and learn if I was right or wrong on my Vinson as well, and only one bung needed on it.(Thumper) ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats kinda odd, Mine does'nt do this. The only thing that I have done is removed the spark arrester screen and cut about a inch and a half off the tail pipe.

Hey Ram04. Did it do it before you removed the spark arrester? And what do you mean about cutting 1 1/2 inch of the tail pipe?? There really isn't a tailpipe.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yes, I agree about the loaning or renting of the gauge (actually I was being a smart alec - budweiser seems to bring that out) I will probably buy the gauge also, I will be very interested in how it works for you Mag, in fact I will wait until I hear how it works from you. Hunterworks IMO seems to be a very good price and not only that - he offers to give you FREE technical support if you buy from him, and that advice and help is not cheap.

Speaking of maybe a timing issue - is another topic, I don't believe there is a "proper" way to advance or retard timing when it is electronic ignition - is that correct?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I did'nt notice mine making any kind of sputter, all I did was remove the exaust tip and cut the spark arrester off and shorten the tip a inch or so, on the Prairies we would take the exaust pipe off and cut the end off the cannister, then drill six to eight 1/2 inch holes thru the plates in it, then weld the end back on. On the prairies this helped the performance quite a bit, actually, when I put my HMF pipe on , It did'nt seem to be any better than the stock one drilled. I have thought of doing this with the Teryx, but have'nt had time yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts