Teryx HQ banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not looking to start a heated debate here, but am interested in knowing if one company's standard bore kit is considered the "best"? Is there one that's putting down the most power/reliability, or are they all pretty much considered equals?

·
Registered
177 Posts
There is no best, they all perform relatively the same. The best kit is the one you buy and it works for you and the person you bought it from supports you after the sale.
???? That's a little harsh. Unless I'm reading into the post too much. This is the same sort of question I was asking. I think people just want an unbias opinion. With all the different type of suppliers etc its hard to make a good decision on who to buy from and the service you'll get. Todd from reading plenty of posts and having dealt with your shop personally I think you pride yourself on good service but its tough when you first get into this to know who to buy from and what are good quality parts.
So far several STD bore suppliers haven't impressed me. My dealer ordered kits and it took the better part of a month to get them when they were promised within a week. Some people might say thats normal. Well school of thought I come from says you commit to a week you deliver or your customer gets pissed because they have their customers calling to see where the parts are. Couple of calls I made my phone calls were not returned or I was treated like I was a bother to the person on the other end. Not good customer service. Final result my 4-5K will go to someone else. Lesson to be learned here is even a small sale for a $50 item can make or break a customer relationship. That's of course we're all not so busy make bales of money during this booming economy.
Wow. now thats a rant. Sorry Todd not directed at you just kind of at the whole industry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize the vendors on this site all provide excellent customer service...

What I want to know is do all the kits run the same compression ratio, or are some higher? Is one kit considered more reliable than the next? Whose cam runs the best? Which kit is making the most power and torque? Answers to those questions will help me decide as to whom will get my money when I'm ready to upgrade.

Thank you,
Kelly

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
It would be better if we knew requirements and budget.
Do you want to run pump gas or are you willing to pay for race gas (ie higher compression.)?
Do you want the best bang for the $ or do you want the most hp? Its always a trade off.
Are you running trails, duning or drag racing (different cams) etc.
There are lots of kits out there from various companies offering different compression and levels of kits.
What is your budget?
What do you have all ready (ie full exhaust, msd etc)?
Some kits are better than others and there are lots of good kits and builders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I'm gonna be looking for is a reliable kit that runs on pump 93, and will give a nice boost to my current setup: MSD, Muzzy Duals, and Dasa OD cover. I am planning on adding Dasa 38's, as well as injectors when I do upgrade. I mostly ride trails.
I realize all kits will add some nice power gains, but again I'm just wondering if one is preffered over others, and why?

As of now, I'm leaning towards the Fundy as they are making their own cams, and seem to make decent power.
I have heard the AMR is good too, but don't know much about it. I know HunterWorks sells them, so that is reassuring.
I'm sure there are many other kits out there, and that's why I'm looking to become educated before I make my decision.

Thanks,
Kelly

·
Registered
282 Posts
if you are already looking into dasa's throttle bodies, i would also look at their motor kits. i have the 840 from them and it is rock solid!!!! oh... get one of their impellers too

·
383 Posts
As of now, I'm leaning towards the Fundy as they are making their own cams, and seem to make decent power.
I have heard the AMR is good too, but don't know much about it. I know HunterWorks sells them, so that is reassuring.

Thanks,
Kelly

So you are not planning to do a kit any time soon then, right?? :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you are not planning to do a kit any time soon then, right?? :D

LOL. I'm actually not going to be doing this upgrade for at least a couple of months, and maybe not till this up-coming winter. I'm just acquiring info for now.

There's a good chance I'll run DASA's, as they have already treated me very well there. I just don't know if they'r making their own kit, or using someone else's.

·
Registered
282 Posts
LOL. I'm actually not going to be doing this upgrade for at least a couple of months, and maybe not till this up-coming winter. I'm just acquiring info for now.

There's a good chance I'll run DASA's, as they have already treated me very well there. I just don't know if they'r making their own kit, or using someone else's.
dan at dasa will definitely treat you right... and he know his stuff too! they make their own kits at dasa. They will pick and choose the parts that are best for your application. like i said earlier, my dasa kit is top notch and very reliable.... oh... very fast too!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys don't mean to hijack this thread. I don't know how to start a new one.

I currently have an 08 Teryx that needs the pison rings replaced since I've been blowing white smoke. I'm somewhat confused as to what is recommended as far as mods on the machine to accomodate the standard bore kit(muffler, radiator, etc.). Are the pistons drop in? Do I need to hone the cylinder?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

I currently have an 08 Teryx that needs the pison rings replaced since I've been blowing white smoke. I'm somewhat confused as to what is recommended as far as mods on the machine to accomodate the standard bore kit(muffler, radiator, etc.). Are the pistons drop in? Do I need to hone the cylinder?

That is gonna be a long answer, very long. Just call me at the office and I will explain options to you and then you can decide what you want to do with it.

Todd
601-771-0070

·
383 Posts

Save yourself some money and just change the head gaskets, bad rings means burning oil, means blue smoke. White smoke means burning coolant. But while you are in there you might as well upgrade, seems like a good enough excuse to me.:D

·
Registered
375 Posts
BTW Dasa is a good company and do a good job. They do have there own cams(Dan) but sell FST kits. Call Mickey at Four Stroke Tech and get a kit within 3 days and it will out perform or equal any kit out there and be more reliable than any.Also get the Dasa impellar. Best setup out there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
im not knocking anyone on here ,but i got my std bore 12.1 ,stage two cams ,injectors ,spring for clutch ,valves and springs and had heads reworked ,msd all from big kevs performance , never met the fellow but is really good to deal with ,ive called many times for qustions and he always helped me with what he could over the phone,so far im well sastified ,800 rzr s cant hang and ive not touched the clutch YET,also put a muzzy pro exaust think ive got bout 3200$$ thats after dynoed.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
im not knocking anyone on here ,but i got my std bore 12.1 ,stage two cams ,injectors ,spring for clutch ,valves and springs and had heads reworked ,msd all from big kevs performance , never met the fellow but is really good to deal with ,ive called many times for qustions and he always helped me with what he could over the phone,so far im well sastified ,800 rzr s cant hang and ive not touched the clutch YET,also put a muzzy pro exaust think ive got bout 3200$$ thats after dynoed.
I'm using Big Kev's stuff now, just got a 08 Teryx to run as fast as I ever rode one with his std bore kit in. We built a engine for Big Kev once cause the customer was in MS

Last two engine I built were Big Kevs and the one I am building now is gonna be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts