Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time consuming!! Remember.... I am an ignorant ass that knows nothing mechanical.
After 6 hours..yes 6 hours this is what I've got....

Attachments

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Six hours of bending over working on these things in the car would kill my fat as,that's why I only do motors on the bench.:mad::laugh:

Your parts are boxed up waiting for your stuff to get here!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hey... as long as you have the "support" liquid pain killer for after all the bending you are doing fine. The rest is easy except for installing the new valve springs and timing the cams. First time you drive your machine, your sore back is gonna celebrate with you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's not a bad thing to take your time and double check everything. I finished putting mine back together, but will finish welding my new cage before cranking it up and breaking it in. If you add the breather fitting in the rear head make sure it will clear the carb linkage cover.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got started back on my kit today, tell me something....what is the trick to getting the cam chains back on the cam sprocket, tried for about 40 minutes today, no luck....I am kinda thinking it is harder with the 840 kit, because the head gasket does appear to be thicker....any help out there for this dumbass....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Are the tensioners removed? If so, may check for a kink or just keep trying as it doesn't just fall together easily. Mine has been back together for awhile, but haven't had the time to crank it.:(

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, cam tension is not on motor yet. I think I am going to remove cam sprocket...add chain and then put sprocket back on cam (if possible), going to fiddle with it all day tomorrow, so HOPEFULLY will have some sense of what is going on, I'm doing the rear head first, then start on front.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I could not get cam chains back on...without removing the cam sprockets. You want to talk about a PITA, worse part was lining up timiming by the sprockets....removing and put back on....removing and put back on....removing....move the chain a tooth...put back on......ie...ie....have you gathered by now that I was at my wit's end. I had Kawa service, 2 different ones, tell me that I should have had 1/16 to 1/4 clearance on my chains and that they should have easily went back on, gaurantee...., for me, they don't and they didn't and.....NO.....my chains weren't off of the bottom sprockets.
I can remember when I took the stock cams out...it was the same way....very...very tight, and yes my tensioner was removed. Now that I have got it all back together....the cams look like they are in the same exact position as were the stock cams....meaning they look "seated" just like my stock cams were...in their bearings...so I know it has got to be right, getting ready to put valve heads back on.....not till tommorow...gotta rest....and not going to be thinking about my soon to be running monster.....maybe not till Monday...in fact.....I...at this moment do not care about "the satisfaction of doing this myself." Something on this magnitude was not for me...but I am going thru with it to the :) end.... next learning phase for me will be valve clearance 101...... :D I'll get there......

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The valves are very easy to adjust, walk in the park compared to what you have done. Good for you for sticking it out, I paid to have mine done and chickened out and only marginally helped.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I started mine up today and did some half throttle on & off the gas runs. This thing is the way it should be now!:yahoo: You will be happy once you finish & feel the awesome increase in power.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the encouragement, glad ya got yours going!:good:

I went ahead and set the valves this morning and got my engine all back together!, no problems (the valve thing)...as Magellan said "walk in the park."
I did say "engine" back together, not the rest of the machine, it is Sunday, and a case of Budweiser is calling me!
Probably won't work on it again till Wednesday or Thursday, we'll see. This Wednesday will be the third week straight without a T-rex ride and I am Jonesing, so maybe I'll start back at, just want to take my time cause I am pretty weary that I would or will screw something up if I get in a hurry.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Sounds like things are coming together...cannot wait to hear what you think of it, I am sure you will love it :good:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Currently....at this point in time....I wish I'd had some shop do it....my opinion may change, after she's running. There is just alot of work involved with it, consider I've been working on it probably about 30 hours, some shop could have had it done it 2 days, I am a bench jockey, not a mechanic. I sure have learned alot though doing this, and there probably is no amount of money that can pay for that....:D
The biggest delays are in prep work, must make sure you have EVERYTHING ready before you start, I didn't. Had to order more gaskets...1 week waiting for parts. I still have not received my YFZ can...ordered 2 weeks ago! Gonna get back on her tomorrow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
FYI on the cam chains, i had alot of trouble with the first set i did until i understood that its not like a drive chain and sprocket that has to be above the sprocket teeth to start, the chain will actually slide on to the sprocket from the side all at once so you dont need much slack at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Currently....at this point in time....I wish I'd had some shop do it....my opinion may change, after she's running. There is just alot of work involved with it, consider I've been working on it probably about 30 hours, some shop could have had it done it 2 days, I am a bench jockey, not a mechanic. I sure have learned alot though doing this, and there probably is no amount of money that can pay for that....:D
The biggest delays are in prep work, must make sure you have EVERYTHING ready before you start, I didn't. Had to order more gaskets...1 week waiting for parts. I still have not received my YFZ can...ordered 2 weeks ago! Gonna get back on her tomorrow.
I have to admit I would like the knowledge to do it myself, but I think I'll stick to car engines and let the motorcycle mechanics handle my build when the time comes. I'm not sure the old back can handle leaning over my rex and working. It would be easier if you could take the whole engine out and do the work on the stand.:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
im sure you could pull the motor with a cherry picker, the only thing left holding mine in place when i installed my kit was the motor mounts.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts