1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha....
Having some trouble with my
2018 Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
KRT800GJFA 6,000+ miles. Problem started as an intermittent, repetitive, clicking during an attempt to start without the starter turning over. Fuel pump activates with ignition as normal. Clicking determined to be starter relay (Under dash above steering wheel). Subsequent attempts to start resulted in machine starting uneventfully. Over the course of a week, starting became more difficult with the same symptoms as above. Finally refused to start.

Neutral switch working correctly.
Checked battery, voltage good.
Checked all fuses, all good.
Checked ground and cleaned. No corrosion, normal dirt.
Replaced starter relay, same cyclic clicking.
Removed starter, inspection revealed brush housing cracked. Replaced starter, same cyclic clicking.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aloha....
Having some trouble with my
2018 Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
KRT800GJFA 6,000+ miles. Problem started as an intermittent, repetitive, clicking during an attempt to start without the starter turning over. Fuel pump activates with ignition as normal. Clicking determined to be starter relay (Under dash above steering wheel). Subsequent attempts to start resulted in machine starting uneventfully. Over the course of a week, starting became more difficult with the same symptoms as above. Finally refused to start.

Neutral switch working correctly.
Checked battery, voltage good.
Checked all fuses, all good.
Checked ground and cleaned. No corrosion, normal dirt.
Replaced starter relay, same cyclic clicking.
Removed starter, inspection revealed brush housing cracked. Replaced starter, same cyclic clicking.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Scott
Clicking solenoid is usually due to low voltage or high resistance,
(that causes voltage drop).

test the voltage going into the solenoid and test the voltage going into the starter, (the big wire from the battery ).

When testing for voltage drop, be sure to test while under load, during cranking. Each connector or componant can have high resistance, that will cause voltage drop !
Test before and after if voltage drops across the connector, check for corrosion or loose pin fit ! KJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just for the heck of it attach a wire to the negative terminal of the battery to the frame and try starting it.
I tried. Didn't work. Same cyclic engagement of the starting solenoid.

I did end up figuring the problem out. Not sure how many times I checked and rechecked the battery voltage. Each time it showed above the minimums in the factory service manual. I after replacing the starter, same result. I checked for the voltage drop and started down the voltage drop and ohm measurements looking for a bad sensor. Happened to throw the battery tender on the machine as I took lunch. Came back and gave it a test and it cranked. Had a bad cell on the battery causing it to read above the minimum voltage but just not enough. Replaced the battery and we are back in business. Once this supply shortage ends and I find an AGM on island I'm gonna upgrade....

Thanks to all who suggested fixes. I appreciate the help.
Aloha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts