Teryx HQ banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used 08 Teryx LE that is pretty much stock. We're going camping this weekend where elevations range from 10-13,000 feet but probably average about 11,000 feet. Anyone know if stock jets are adequate? I can handle a loss of power, but I don't want to get up there and find that it won't run.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi
I don't think I would change jets for one weekend. I live in the St.George area and I run 138 142 in mine. It works good at the 3000 foot and I run at 10000 feet with little loss in trail riding. Have fun :wave:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi
I don't think I would change jets for one weekend. I live in the St.George area and I run 138 142 in mine. It works good at the 3000 foot and I run at 10000 feet with little loss in trail riding. Have fun :wave:
Yeah i had mine stock when i wrode up in red river nm. All the way up to 11500 and it ran ok, started ok up there and everything. a little loss of power but not bad, no backfiring or anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
"If" it does have the stock jetting in it, my guess is that it will ok. I ran my 08 on our dyno here and found the stock A/F to be 11-11.5 @ 7000ft, and I rode it in our sand dunes which are at 9000ft with paddles just fine. I would suspect that if it does have the stock jets in it that it will be just fine with the dirt tires on it. However if I were to constantly ride between 3k and 10k elevation I would drop the main jets to 130 and 135.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Terse: I was wondering why you would run 130 135 jets at 3000 10000 feet? I generally run at this elevation and stock jets were 135 140. I have a modified stock exhaust, uni air filter carb mods are shortened springs (1/2inch) and .20 shim under needles and the throttle response is a lot better and much more mid range power. this is my dyno seat of the pants but better - oh I run the dynatec non progamable cdi.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was only referring to a stock machine. A modified exhaust will have a different flow to it verses stock thus needing more fuel. A dyna has a more advanced ignition timing curve in it, thus needing more fuel to run safely. Your current jetting for that elevation sounds currect for the mods you have mentioned.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Terse:
I was just wondering I am still learning and I thought you may have a good tip for my. Thanks Very Much!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
IMO your current jetting sounds like it is where it should be.

I've got a clamp on filter inside the air box, 1 hole in the lid, cut springs, 140 145, and a shim under each needle, and 2 full turns out from seated, with a pro muzzy exhaust, and a non programmable Dyna. I'm at 7000ft. It is not fully tuned in yet as I have other bikes, and motors to work on, but it is close.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I recently bought a used 08 Teryx LE that is pretty much stock. We're going camping this weekend where elevations range from 10-13,000 feet but probably average about 11,000 feet. Anyone know if stock jets are adequate? I can handle a loss of power, but I don't want to get up there and find that it won't run.
Thats one of the nice things about CV carbs....they correct for air density

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to report back that the Teryx with stock carb settings and jets did pretty well at high altitude. I did notice it was more difficult to start in the mornings and I had to apply the choke and give it a little gas with the transmission in neutral. Not too bad though. When I got all the way up to about 11,500ft, I noticed a significant loss in power, especially when climbing uphill. But no sputtering, backfiring, or smoking like some carbed machines sometimes do. All in all, I'm very pleased with this machine, carbs and all!

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's great, thanks for the report back. I've been on a trail head here in CO that goes to 12k ft and it definitely makes you feel like you are on top of the world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts