Teryx HQ banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Materials needed:
2 - 1/2" x 3" bolts (Some may prefer grade 8)
4 - 1/2" cut washers
4 - 1/2" nuts
2 - 1/2" lock washers
1/8" drill bit
1/2" drill bit
Drill
Tape measure
Scribe

Time needed: Less than 2 hrs.

I was picking up my Simpson 5 point harnesses and I asked them "Where do I mount the crotch belt?" To which they replied "If you can find a place to mount it? Then go for it!"...as they threw away a bunch of crotch belts. After 1 ride out and the belts riding up the whole time? I knew my wife was not going to be happy with the money I spent...soooo...

Well after looking around this is what I came up with. On the drivers side I took out the "Clean out" caps in the floor boards I found that there is a frame rail just to the rear of the caps. I measured in 8 3/4" from the outside frame rail and made my mark. Then measured up 1" for the center and then drilled a 1/8" pilot hole and then a 1/2" bolt hole.

Once that was done I installed a 1/2" x 3" bolt and a cut washer.

From the inside I installed another 1/2" cut washer and 1/2" nut. This will keep the belt loop out away from the rail so that you can adjust the belt.

Now I installed the belt and loop followed by a lock washer and nut. I found that the assembly hit my floor so I had to use a die grinder to remove some of the material.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now for the bad news...for the passenger side you will need to pull the fuel cell...small price to pay for a comfortable safe ride I felt.

After the belts were in I marked the caps and cut them on a chop saw and then smoothed them out on a belt sander so they fit nice and flush.

After 2 weekends in the dunes I can tell you this was the best investment in time and safety that I have done...the wife was totally at ease and comfortable so she could enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
131 Posts
SDR is doing a build for me right now and I was specifically told they install anti-submarine belts in all their cars so I will see how they mounted them once I get it back. I thought I remember seeing most anti-submarine belts just mounted to the underside of the seat not all the way on the floor like that. Seems like that setup would still let you submarine.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you look at your instruction sheet that comes with the belts? That is one of the recommended install points. Once all 5 belts are locked in there is no way to submarine (go under the steering wheel).

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
You did a great job my friend, very nice write up :good:

·
Registered
131 Posts
This topic got me curious on the subject and I decided to do a few minutes of research and I always thought the anti-submarine belt was meant to keep you from sliding under the belts by capturing you with the belt but I guess it is just there to keep the lap belt from coming up in an impact due to the force exerted by the chest belts. I guess it also isn't so much of you sliding all the way out under the belts but just the lap belt coming up from your lap and into your soft organs can cause severe injuries. They say if you aren't going to use an anti-submarine belt it is better to just go with a lap belt alone. I never knew any of this. One other thing I read was saying 2" belts were actually better than 3" belts because of the way they fit into the skeletal structure. I was supposed to be getting 3" belts up front. I am thinking I should change them to 2" now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My belt directions say that the sub belt is not suppose to be mounted in front of your chest line. If she has a big chest I guess it's all good.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My belt directions say that the sub belt is not suppose to be mounted in front of your chest line. If she has a big chest I guess it's all good.
Straight from the Simpson site...
Safety - Restraints | Simpson Racing

"On or slightly behind"...since that frame rail was as close as we could get to a solid mounting surface...and it keeps the belts from riding up like they do without it?...

If you guys have yours mounted some place more solid and safer? I would love to see some pictures...

Or are you just busting my chops because you don't have a better solution?...

·
Registered
144 Posts
No harm meant. I think the only way to mount it correctly would be to have aftermarket seats with the slot in the bottom of the seat and then fab a mount for the sub belt. I'm using the seat latch pin bolt for now just to keep the other belts from riding up until it's time for new seats.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am not trying to bust your chops either. I was just trying to discus it so maybe we could all learn something. I am curious to see how SDR is going to mount mine. I am getting Twisted Stitch seats with SDR seat bases so maybe they have something built in for them. I wish I would have paid attention to the other cars when I was in the shop the other day.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry guys...I just re-read my comment this morning and I came across as an ass...I meant it more as a joke...like an internet thing...but I should have included a smiley...:D

And yes I AM interested in seeing if anyone else has a better idea...I just haven;t seen any mounted...:p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sandjunkie, here are a couple of pics on how I did my belt, I know people said you should not put it by the seat latch, but there should be no way that it could unlatch it.

First I cut the plastic guard and then cut (2) 2" by 4 1/4" by 1/4" pice of flat steel. 1 hole is 1" and the other at 3 1/2", this keeps the belt approx. 1 1/2" from the latch ( no way it can come in contact with it). Yoiu are correct to say that the sub belt is to keep the waist and chest belts from rising in a accident, if I bend this piece of metal enough in a wreck:( for it to undo the latch, that is going to be the least of my problems. :eek:. Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here is how SDR mounted mine.

I was kind of worried about maybe the sub belt pulling up on the latch too but I was thinking when you are all belted in, I don't see how that seat is going to be able to lift up off that post anyway even if the latch was pulled up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts