Teryx HQ banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a complete transmission gear stack available for an 2008 teryx. This is all the gears in the transmission. Main stack with low/high/reverse and all the idler shafts and shift fork. These have 4 hours on them against a bone stock engine and tires used on the sand only. I tore down and built my teryx for racing and have installed the V-force quad gear stack that is better suited for a racecar. This gear stack is about $500-$600 from kawasaki. I want $250 for everything. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
79 Posts
v force

Hey Tech3 i just broke my forward gears in my 08. I'm putting a BBk 840 so I was told by Mickey at Four stroke Tech and he told me to install the Vforce gears. I was wondering if you did the work yourself and have pics of the install. I was also wondering if you have a list of parts and how much was it?

·
Registered
780 Posts
is that gear stack only for racing or could it serve general use purposes?

good deal on the stockers for someone.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
is that gear stack only for racing or could it serve general use purposes?

good deal on the stockers for someone.
You can use it with both if you have a 840 to pull it.The V-Force gears gets rid of the high low range and that is what is weak in the Teryx gears,no matter if is a stock motor or a built one. The V gear box is bullet proof.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did it for the top speed, we are doing desert racing. When I pulled it apart there was a second reason I liked it, the dog ring engagement is twice as thick as the teryx because its only high gear not a high and a low. I have hundreds of desert miles on mine without any issues. I have attached an exploded view of the vforce gear set and their part numbers, you'll need everything except the big shaft that goes out to the driven clutch, thats specific to the quad, you'll use your teryx shaft. You will also need the vforce gear that sits inside the dipstick tube cover (sorry don't know the name) its also specific to the vforce, its the gear that connects the tranny gears to the bevel gears (ring and pinion as most of us know it). The only thing I noticed when assembling the gearstack was the gear alignment was off between the primary and the secondary shaft inside the tranny, I took 2 thrust washers and had them surface ground and assembled one on each end so that I had maximum tooth engagement of the gears. If you take one apart and then assemble the Vforce gears its easy to see what you need to do. I beleive any Vforce from 04-09 would work as a reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Tech3

so how much faster is your Teryx now with the Vforce gears installed? and did you have to leave any gears out to lose the low high range?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can hit 70 mph pretty easy with our desert car. When you replace the teryx gears with the vforce gears you basically throw away all the teryx stuff and replace it with the part numbers in the previous diagram. I am about to do one here in the next 2-3 weeks, if your not in a hurry I can document the process and pass it on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sweet

Ya I just tore my engine out yesterday and I was going to order the gears today. Were is the best place to order these gears? Thanks I need all the help I can get to get Her running before New Years at Glamis.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure, I bought my set off Ebay a while back, I just looked and didn't see any. I would throw up some questions on the kawieriders forum and see if those guys can suggest the best place to buy, I have seen better prices at some of the online retailers than the actual dealerships. Good luck, its an ambitious project get to get ready by new years, you had one of these apart before??

·
Registered
79 Posts
No its the first time ever working in a project of this magnitude, but I'm very confident in my ability and I'm very Stubborn. I also have a BBK from Mickey on the way. I looked up all parts and crossrefrenced them with your parts list and my total price with Yfz bottle and some Misc items and gaskets was 582$. Now I have to wait and see when these parts will arrive. So I should have my gears here about the same time you begin your second project.
Thanks any info you can contribute to this build and tips. Roman

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where did you order your gears? Also when you tackle the project don't forget about my comment on the thrust washers. When you place the new gears in the case you should see the extra gap i'm talking about. The shaft with the 2 gears on one end will not line up the best with the main gear shaft. I'm going off my memory but there is a thrust washer on the drivers side that is about .060 thick, you'll need to make 2 thrust washers that are .030 each and place one at each end. That will move the shaft .030 in one direction. you'll have to measure the thrust washer and calculate it, I just used those numbers as an example. Good Luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Tech3 I bought them at Southbay Motor sports in Chula Vista in San Diego CA. Thanks for the heads up I'll measure it to get the correct shim in there. The front bevel gear 27tooth from the V-Force gears is the only only gear on back order and Kawai doesn't have date of it's arrival. Do you know if I can use the 30 tooth front bevel gear off the teryx or does it have to be the V-Force front bevel?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts