Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys. I'm really upset about this.:mad: This last weekend I was riding at El Mirage and my son's friend came up for the day with his new Rhino 700FI. All of us at camp had been talking how much faster the Kawasaki Teryx is compared to the Rhino (including the Rhino owner) So we decided to all go out to the dry lake and have a drag race. I couldn't believe it when the Rhino pulled away from me for 3/4 of the race. I finally caught him at the end and passed him, but it took me a long time. Its embarassing just to post this, but I had to know if anyone else had the same experience.

When I test drove both the Rhino and the Teryx, it seemed the Rhino wouldn't get out of its own way. Now I'm confused. Someone set me straight. :confused:

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I suppose my first question is was this stock vs stock?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yep, sounds like yo still have the stock CDI box. Get the Dynatek or the Velocity Devices CDI and you will leave the Rhino wondering what happened!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose my first question is was this stock vs stock?
Hi all, Yes it was stock versus stock. :mad:The only thing done to my teryx is the spark arrestor was removed and I have a little wider rims in back. The Rhino was completely stock. You would think with 50cc's of displacement over the teryx, two cylinders and two carbs, I would have sucked him up the exhaust pipe and spit him out. I can say that over the trails he was easy to overtake and mountain climbing I had him. And hes a lot younger and has been riding quads where I have had limited quad experience and more 2 wheel experience. I know I have to get that CDI, but for now I'm going to have to endure the humiliation because my 66 Mustang is in the shop for some work and can't do both at the same time. What a wake up call for both the Rhino owner and myself. I'm going to have to save some money and take your advice and use some of our sponsors businesses and get those hi performance parts. :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a diffrant outcome than you did,it was close out of the hole but by 10-15mph i was pulling pretty good. Now that I have the mods I have the rhino doesnt even want to play anymore and I have to play with the rzr's even out running them now.. :D

Here is a pic of the rzr I have been giving fits and he has a pipe and a fuel controller/chip.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah, my in-laws have a Rhino too, and before I got the CDI ($200) I would always win the race, but would fall behind early. Then we both bought a CDI for our respective toys, and removed the spark arrestor. Now I win, and it's not even close!:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a diffrant outcome than you did,it was close out of the hole but by 10-15mph i was pulling pretty good. Now that I have the mods I have the rhino doesnt even want to play anymore and I have to play with the rzr's even out running them now.. :D

Here is a pic of the rzr I have been giving fits and he has a pipe and a fuel controller/chip.

I can't even imagine racing a Razor. They are supposed to be REAL fast. I notice Rutcutter that you have a lot of performance goodies on your ride. I thought the Teryx was supposed to be a lot quicker stock than the Rhino. What gives? Is it just mine or is it slower, stock to stock? I noticed Mikeomo even would lose off the get-go. I guess I was listening to all the hype and when the "race" came up I figured I'd blow my son's friend's Rhino off the dry lakebed. I guess its saving for that CDI. Anyone recommend the best. I don't have a laptop to program on the teryx, so I need one I can either program in the house or buy one already programmed. If I can't get this Teryx to beat the Rhino, I'm going to be very disappointed. I hope it won't take a bunch of money to get this thing to run fast.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ignition & exhaust tip!

I bought the dynatek non-programable ignition ($200) and just an exhaust tip form Axia Alloys ($40) and the Teryx rips! I live on an acreage and the block I live on is about 3 kms around (2 mi). I hooked up my GPS and did the block in 3 1/2 mins at max speed of 74 kms (46 mi/hr) - sorry, I'm Canadian! Put on the ignition and tip, now did the block in 3 mins and a max speed of 95 kms (58 mi/hr). My buddy had a stock Teryx and there is no comparison between mine and his - of course, now he has an ignition and tip. The best $250 you could spend for the performance, I gaurantee that you will not be disappointed. I just put 27" XTR's on it so I guess I may have a little more top end, haven't timed it yet but I also put on 14" rims so they may suck up some power now.:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought the dynatek non-programable ignition ($200) and just an exhaust tip form Axia Alloys ($40) and the Teryx rips! I live on an acreage and the block I live on is about 3 kms around (2 mi). I hooked up my GPS and did the block in 3 1/2 mins at max speed of 74 kms (46 mi/hr) - sorry, I'm Canadian! Put on the ignition and tip, now did the block in 3 mins and a max speed of 95 kms (58 mi/hr). My buddy had a stock Teryx and there is no comparison between mine and his - of course, now he has an ignition and tip. The best $250 you could spend for the performance, I gaurantee that you will not be disappointed. I just put 27" XTR's on it so I guess I may have a little more top end, haven't timed it yet but I also put on 14" rims so they may suck up some power now.:D
Hi guys, Wow, 58 MPH seems like quite a difference. I guess I'm going to lay down the cash. Everyone is mentioning Dynatek and I'm wondering how that compares to the Dragonfire Racing one. Dragonfire is claiming 63 MPH in my SideXside magazine. Anyone try the Dragonfire ? Is it that much faster?:confused: I'm like everyone else. If I spend the money I want the fastest one. (as long as it is reliable). And Rutcutter, I'll try and post another pic of my Teryx.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

What tire pressure are you running in your Horns Rutcutter? I just got a set and I am down to 15 and they still seem to hard....

·
Registered
61 Posts
The two other things to consider is the adjustment on your clutch. If it is too far out in the adjustment range it will actually make your low gear ratio higher (not engaging until the ramps come together) In effect it will be like starting off in a taller gear. The other thing is with wider tires then the Rhino stock ones you need more power to just pull your tires.

Buy the CDI and make it a habit to check your belt once in awhile. Just because your unit might be new doesn't mean your clutch couldn't be adjusted better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The two other things to consider is the adjustment on your clutch. If it is too far out in the adjustment range it will actually make your low gear ratio higher (not engaging until the ramps come together) In effect it will be like starting off in a taller gear. The other thing is with wider tires then the Rhino stock ones you need more power to just pull your tires.

Buy the CDI and make it a habit to check your belt once in awhile. Just because your unit might be new doesn't mean your clutch couldn't be adjusted better.
I'm getting ready to do a 20 hour service. I'll check the belt. I've got to make up my mind between the Dynatech and the Dragonfire units. Any info on those units?:confused:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
maybe u should learn how to drive- stock vs stock see ya biotch!!!!!!!
use ur head!! what a tool!!!!!!!!!
Something tells me I've been racing motorcycles a lot longer than you and won a whole lot more. There isn't much common sense or knowledge needed on a dry lake bed, but then why am I talking to someone that apparently doesn't have the common sense or knowledge to know that. Speaking of a tool.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts