Teryx HQ banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new 2008 LE. I love it! I have specific problem and I would like any general thoughts/advice.

Problem: Today my son rammed his Dune buggy into the back of the stopped Teryx (at about 7mph. The Dune buggy broke the front grill frame and master cylinder. No big deal. The Teryx took the hit mainly on the hitch mounted tow hook. The muffler has a slight dent also. The frame does not appear to be damaged. But went I put it in low or high it makes Loud popping sound from drive shaft. The teryx goes into reverse at the neutral drive shifter position. Does not go into neutral at all. The bagging noise from the drive shaft was loud enough that I am afraid to drive it forward so we rode down the mountain in reverse.

Advice: It will mainly be used going up and around the mountains. Anything I should do for better hill climbing?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
These motors will shift on the mounts a little. With him hitting right on the muffler I would bet that it shoved the motor forward a little and now the shift linkage is out of adjustment. I would loosen up the motor mounts and load the motor slightly in forward and reverse then tighten the mounts and adjust the shift linkage accordingly. Wouldn't drive it much until the linkage is adjusted properly cuz these things have tranny problems real easily when the linkage is out of adjustment.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's good to know. I took my Teryx to the local dealer to see if they would repalce the belt under warranty. Not only did they not cover the belt, but somehow they put the shift linkage out of alignment. They said they never even touched that part of the Teryx, but it wasn't like that when I brought it in. They wouldn't fix it without charging extra, so I left it as is thinking it's no big problem. The only difference is that I have to hold the lever off to the side for the cvt to be in neutral and to start without the brake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shift linkage

Thanks for the info. The popping seems to be coming from the drive shaft so it must have moved it quite a bit. I see the four large motor mounts looking from above the engine ..are there any others below? Will I need to take the gas tank out? How much should I loosen them?

Great forum.

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks for the info. The popping seems to be coming from the drive shaft so it must have moved it quite a bit. I see the four large motor mounts looking from above the engine ..are there any others below? Will I need to take the gas tank out? How much should I loosen them?

Great forum.

Thanks

Tim
Just a turn or so enough to let the motor shift back.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
That's good to know. I took my Teryx to the local dealer to see if they would repalce the belt under warranty. Not only did they not cover the belt, but somehow they put the shift linkage out of alignment. They said they never even touched that part of the Teryx, but it wasn't like that when I brought it in. They wouldn't fix it without charging extra, so I left it as is thinking it's no big problem. The only difference is that I have to hold the lever off to the side for the cvt to be in neutral and to start without the brake.
It is super easy to adjust the linkage. If you drive it like that, you are probably going to hear some popping at WOT and high loads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dead on

Thanks for the help. Shift linkage. When he hit me I must have been holding on to it and yanked it forward. Adjusted the linkage works like a champ.

It amazing that you can get better support for free then most places charge for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts