Teryx HQ banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2008 Teryx that only has 19hrs. When shifting from Neutral to High it makes a loud grinding sound. It also makes the noise when going into reverse, but not as loudly. I am shifting when the machine is stopped and on a flat surface. The previous owner told me it always made the sound, but I think it is worse than when I test drove it. Any suggestions on what could be causing the problem?

I can turn the machine off and shift and re-start the engine with it in gear and it does not make any noises.

Jon

·
Registered
516 Posts
Make sure that it is not idling too high, I don't know what the actually spec is but I would guess around 700-800 rpm. If idle is good than remove the centre plastic covers and check the adjustment to make sure when you hit N or H that it is hitting the same spot on the tranny shifter, should be able to feel the detent hitting and holding it in gear. Can't think of anything else that would be obvious. Hope this helps and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check the idle tomorrow, it did seem to be a little fast. I just got the machine yesterday. What is the easiest way to slow down the idle if needed? Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just purchased a 2008 Teryx that only has 19hrs. When shifting from Neutral to High it makes a loud grinding sound. It also makes the noise when going into reverse, but not as loudly. I am shifting when the machine is stopped and on a flat surface. The previous owner told me it always made the sound, but I think it is worse than when I test drove it. Any suggestions on what could be causing the problem?

I can turn the machine off and shift and re-start the engine with it in gear and it does not make any noises.

Jon
Happens to me too. Not all the time. Pretty normal. This machine is loaded with clunky noises, lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will check the idle tomorrow, it did seem to be a little fast. I just got the machine yesterday. What is the easiest way to slow down the idle if needed? Thanks for the replies.

Take the drivers seat out and there is a little black knob you can turn to adjust the idle.

I just got my 08 about 2 weeks ago and it did the same thing. I turned the idle down and the problem went away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts