Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went ice fishing this weekend and the teryx didnt start .Didnt even get it off the trailer!It was -30.I run synthetic oil and keep it in a heated garage.I wonder if the 09 EFI would start in the extrem cold ?Any thought /experiences?thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would say the 09 with EFI would definately start better. The EFI would detect temperature and adjust amount of fuel needed. With carb. and choke pulled out it still may not be getting enough fuel to start in that cold of a temp.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not to be rude, but who in their right mind would be fishing at -30 below zero???? You must love to fish!!!!!! And yes a FI would start easier but I don't promise anything at the temp!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got an '08, and I'm from north-west Michigan. Not a single problem starting this winter. I don't think we have hit 30 below, but it has been in the negitives for a week straight.
warhammer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cold Start

I have been storing my teryx in the back shed. Its been -20 to -35 in fort Mcmurray for the past 2 months. On a -15 day (a nice warm day) I went out back to start the teryx and no luck! Just about drained the battery starting it. The next day being -20 I was going to take the battery out to charge it, gave it one last try, and it started right up????!!!! The only thing I did was added more gas to the tank. I figure the gas in it was Fall fuel, and the new winter fuel had more light ends in it (Butane).

·
Registered
47 Posts
My new one would'nt start this morning either, jus sat in the trailer over night it was around -15, had to get the charger out, then she fired up. All mine tend to be pretty cold blooded.

·
Registered
132 Posts
a friend of mine made a discovery with his new 08, crank the engine a couple of times, just to get the fuel pump primed, let it set a moment and then hit the key, fires right up!
i tried it with mine (08 also) and it does work. I will say that i put my battery on a 2 amp charge for a full day a few weeks back and it has started every since, it sits for weeks at a time.
i second the why fish for ice question :laugh:

·
Registered
668 Posts
You've never ice fished...you probably never heard of Morel Mushrooms either?

Coldest day I've had was -5 F, and mine started on 2nd try, but I've got the cheap Hunterworks secret, probably made the difference.
Been starting it on 5 to 10 degree days no problem, fires right up.

Plus I can only get my choke to work by holding it out, some reason (?) soon as I crank it...it sucks right back in. I have to physically hold the choke knob out, does anyone else have that problem? What is the fix for this, is there some screw I can adjust the tension on the choke cable?

At the arctic ("Mcmurray" - coldest place on earth!) I would assume that is Fahrenheit not Celsius? Hard to believe you get anything to run at -35 F, my hats off to you..that is some cold s#@t.

Maybe some of the 09 owners would care to share how easy it is to start on those 0 to -5 degree days?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We (northerners) call it ice fishing.There is enough ice to drive a truck on it.When its -30 you dress uplike an onion(lots of layers )and fish out of a (ice hut )also not made of ice...lol Thefish are plenty,good times to be had and COLD BEER!!!!Need I say more.But its kind of anoying that a 1998 yamaha big bear will fire up after three pulls.....I never heard the end of it....heres some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ice fishing AKA beer drinking, is alot of fun. Some of the previous pics of the pike would have to gone back in the drink here in MI (to small)(but taste good!)
:wave:

·
Registered
132 Posts
trick for holding choke out......clothespin! i start it, put the clothespin in and walk away until it just about coughs (3 min or so) then push the chokle in and go.

i had my T down on a local lake lastweek to visit some ice fishermen, not my thing but could see where it could be a good time with the right crowd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my 09 efi fired right up at -30C the other day and ran perfect too. No sputtering at all. I am running 5w30 synthetic oil.

·
Registered
516 Posts
dfloen, where is it that you are freezing these days?
My Teryx starts fine at -30C, as long as it just came out of the heated garage! Hard to start sometimes after cools off alot, thought it might be the Dynatek screwing around with me. Don't think any of these things will really want to start when it is that cold, should have them plugged in or warmed up. It is funny how many engine problems show up a few weeks after a cold spell because everyone tried starting their vehicles without plugging in the block heater...:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Mine sat for almost a month before i fired it up on the day i was talking about. When i started it, it bareley cranked before it fired up.

I wish my skidoo started so easily.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Choke knob sliding

I've had the same problem with my choke knob sliding to the OFF position after starting the engine. Any ideas why anybody ???

·
Registered
193 Posts
I posted this below on another 'starting' problem thread. Something amiss with the spark on this things. I also have to hold the choke out.

I’m having a bit of the same thing. Most of the time I use the Teryx everyday, and starting seems sluggish for it to fire, but not that much of an issue. But when away from the ranch, it may sit a few days without starting. Yesterday morning I tried to start after sitting for about 5 days. It turned over fine, but just cranked. After awhile I could smell gas. I let it sit for 5 minutes, tried to start again with choke off…it coughed. Finally it started without the choke on, but dies. Tried again and once it barely got started, gave it some choke…and finally it caught and ran.

It obviously had to much gas, but still seem to need choke to run. I think this is spark related. Did the Dynatek CDI not give enough spark to fire it on the initial starting, but it pull gas in finally flooding? Even though it cranked fine, something is going on with these Teryx’s on the spark side, be it low voltage, even though battery will crank or something else. I think the cold aggravates it. It was near freezing that morning, but the Teryx was inside an unheated shed.

Does it need a ‘hot’ battery to work? Does it need the aftermarket voltage change? Does Dynatek need to fix a problem they have with spark delivery? I’m not smart enough to figure it out, I hope someone is.

·
Registered
84 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts