Teryx HQ banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
At - 30 it seems to me your Teryx is tryung to tell you it's too damn cold to be out on a lake!!! Or anywhere else besides sitting on the couch by a roaring fire for that matter!

At - 30 it sounds like your Teryx is a very intelligent machine indeed! Good Luck re-educating it!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cold weather tips for us Northern boys :
Start adding (gas stabilizer) to your fuel as the cold weather starts.
Keep your machine on a battery (Float charger) when it will be sitting in COLD weather. (Good for the battery anyway)
If your on the lake or in the deer stand long enough for your machine to get cold , use one of those SOLAR chargers the boat fishing guys use. (Blackberry brandy for yourself) medicinal purposes of course. :laugh:
Starting my 08 in the cold :
Pull out and hold ( got the sliding knob problem) the choke.
Turn the key to ON and wait for the fuelpump to finish building pressure.
Crank the engine for a 3 second count and stop for 10 seconds.
Now when you crank it over , it should start.

Good luck fishing & stay warm. :wave:

·
Registered
23 Posts
For those having problems with the choke knob sliding back to the "off" position, all you have to do is tighten the tension nut at the base of the knob.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I posted this below on another 'starting' problem thread. Something amiss with the spark on this things. I also have to hold the choke out.

I’m having a bit of the same thing. Most of the time I use the Teryx everyday, and starting seems sluggish for it to fire, but not that much of an issue. But when away from the ranch, it may sit a few days without starting. Yesterday morning I tried to start after sitting for about 5 days. It turned over fine, but just cranked. After awhile I could smell gas. I let it sit for 5 minutes, tried to start again with choke off…it coughed. Finally it started without the choke on, but dies. Tried again and once it barely got started, gave it some choke…and finally it caught and ran.

It obviously had to much gas, but still seem to need choke to run. I think this is spark related. Did the Dynatek CDI not give enough spark to fire it on the initial starting, but it pull gas in finally flooding? Even though it cranked fine, something is going on with these Teryx’s on the spark side, be it low voltage, even though battery will crank or something else. I think the cold aggravates it. It was near freezing that morning, but the Teryx was inside an unheated shed.

Does it need a ‘hot’ battery to work? Does it need the aftermarket voltage change? Does Dynatek need to fix a problem they have with spark delivery? I’m not smart enough to figure it out, I hope someone is.
Just curious. Did you use the Dynatech coil Pack or still the originals? Maybe your problem is solved with the hotter coil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
3-7 above

You've never ice fished...you probably never heard of Morel Mushrooms either?

Coldest day I've had was -5 F, and mine started on 2nd try, but I've got the cheap Hunterworks secret, probably made the difference.
Been starting it on 5 to 10 degree days no problem, fires right up.

Plus I can only get my choke to work by holding it out, some reason (?) soon as I crank it...it sucks right back in. I have to physically hold the choke knob out, does anyone else have that problem? What is the fix for this, is there some screw I can adjust the tension on the choke cable?

At the arctic ("Mcmurray" - coldest place on earth!) I would assume that is Fahrenheit not Celsius? Hard to believe you get anything to run at -35 F, my hats off to you..that is some cold s#@t.

Maybe some of the 09 owners would care to share how easy it is to start on those 0 to -5 degree days?
Havent had any negs so far but 3-5 above 0 is cold and my 09 fires right up

:wave:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hunter works is right. Turning on your lights causes a chemical reaction in the battery.... in turn warming it up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hunter works is right. Turning on your lights causes a chemical reaction in the battery.... in turn warming it up.
I've heard the same thing for automobiles for many years. Stands to reason that it would work for UTVs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
anyone solve the starting issues in the cold weather? its been between 0-30 degrees out and the teryx never wants to start? its a 09 efi model.
i usually have to put the jumper cables on it and it will turn over for a few minutes before firing up?? any ideas.

while at the ice house, i go out every hour and let it run so i dont get stranded on the ice.

·
Registered
193 Posts
anyone solve the starting issues in the cold weather? its been between 0-30 degrees out and the teryx never wants to start? its a 09 efi model.
i usually have to put the jumper cables on it and it will turn over for a few minutes before firing up?? any ideas.

while at the ice house, i go out every hour and let it run so i dont get stranded on the ice.

For me I've done three things. I put in a larger battery. I went back to the original CDI. I adjusted the valves. I refuse to buy the Dynatech hotter coils to fix a problem THEY have with their CDI. There is a marginal spark situation with some of these Teryxs. All three of these steps helped in my situation, but I've also have not had it in a really cold situation yet either.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Block heater anyone?

I'm having a problem getting my 08 to fire. It will turn over just fine but won't fire more than about once. Starts ok in the warmer temps but freezing & lower, no way. Any of you guys rigged up a block heater? Could keep it in the heated shop but if it sits outside to long it still won't fire up. Help would be nice, Crow

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine seems to start easier if I leave my battery tender plugged in. Maybe the tender is kicking in and out keeping the battery always working.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Now I'm just having a stalling issue for the last 2 weeks or so. It stalls even if its warm and even if I'm pushing the gas.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ever since the week of thanskgiving we've had nothing but trouble starting our '09, What a PITA, it cranks, cranks, cranks barely starts & dies right away.

It's so frik'n frustrating.

·
Registered
46 Posts
cold start

my 2008 teryx didn`t want to start the other day it was -20 f i cranked on it for about 30 sec. twice .... i let it sit for 5min thought i would try it agian started right up and run fine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, turning the lights on about a minute before starting did the trick in cold weather! My '08 started on the very first crank! Before I heard of turning on the lights it would take several minutes to get the machine started on a good day.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi All:

One other thing you all in cold weather might try is changing the spark plug wires to automotive type. They are much superior to the stock ones. I also use the Iridum spark plugs which start much better. Works for me.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts