Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this site but looking to purchase my first sxs. Aways a kawie fan as my shop is full of them but trying to decide on the teryx or rzr. It is mostly for tail and hunting. The trails range from wide open to some mud areas. Would like to get some more top end speed like the rzr and the seating on the rzr seems more comfrtable for the long rides. Any recomdations between the two. I try to leave things stock but mods are always more cool than stock so lets hear the opinions on the two. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
There have been a few good deals on built Teryxs on the Teryx sites.
Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Really a personal preference. Maybe you can test ride both. My cousin has a rzr 800 (not S) and my Teryx is a more comfortable ride. He even agrees. My Teryx is also faster but not by much when we drag raced (I've got MSD, Muzzy Pro's and UniFilter with billet adapter. He's got some kind of exhaust and not sure if anything else but doubt it). I'm not a racer but it was sweet when I beat him. I'm the slow one usually running like 25-30mph just cruising. I wanted the bigger bed of the Teryx to put a bench so my kids can ride too. Rzr has no real bed to speak of. Again, it's all in what you want/need. I'd test them both if are really unsure. For me, I knew it was a Teryx from the word go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have not tried therzr yet. A friend has a teryx andit is a nice machine and stopped at a popo dealer today and checked out the rzr s. Very nice machine but could possibly save a good $3500 anyway. It is looking like a teryx so far but how is the belt life and axle shafts on the teryx? From reading the filter adaptor seems like the weak point but that is very minor. Any other key areas other than personal customizing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Shee, it really depends, do you do more working or playing? If you play more and if you have the budget, check out the rzr XP. That is one bad machine. 900 cc, it is 88hp and lighter than the 1000cc Can-Am and has more power. However, it is about 15k and it is 64 inches wide so that can be an issue depending on where you ride. But already having everything snorkled, long travel and lots of power is a great thing.
I wish Kawi would come up with something similar.....

Good luck in your search.
Chris

·
Registered
167 Posts
I test drove the RZR S when I was shopping. I really liked it, but it was way too expensive. I also didn't like the engine and sound. The V-twin is way more reliable and sounds good too.

I've got about 1500 miles on my Teryx now. I changed the belt at 1200 miles because I clutched it. The belt I took out is fine, and I keep it as a spare. So I think belt live it pretty good. The last 300 miles I've got on are with larger tires and all seems well so far.

As for axles, well, 1500 miles, 88 hours and no problems yet. I drive in some of the sloppiest puss holes you can imagine. I think if you put 30" tires on it, you might have an issue, but 28" tires would be fine.

Buy a Teryx, snorkel the CVT and you'll be a happy guy!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
rex

hi i would buy the rex . a friend has the rzr-s nice but 3 grand more i have 1400 miles and no problems i can carrie more and in and out of seats way more easy all i can say is love my rex

·
Registered
116 Posts
You could have had a great Rex at a steal. I just sold mine for 6500 with everything on it but the winch and SSV. Practically had to give it away. And yes I went to the RZR S. Much more suitable for my riding style. I gave up a lot of power but got so much more in the suspension dept. You need to take your time and look at both closely and drive both if you can. A 1 yr old machine of either make is a lot less than new and normally havent been beat up on too bad. I paid 9k for a 2010 RZR S with 60 hours on it. Good luck with your purchase whichever way you go!

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you're going hunting I wouldn't recommend the RZR. Bed is too small and the RZR is to noisy even with a stock pipe. If you're looking for confort and practicality I would honestly pin the Teryx against a Ranger XP. If you go with a RZR let met give you some advice.

* Keep an eye on the air filter box or replace it all together since it is junk. If Teryx owners complain about the air box of the Teryx trust me the RZR boxes are much much worse and slightly neglecting them leads to catastropihc results.

* If you do any kind of wet riding put diaelectric grease on all the electrical connections, if you don't you'll be chasing electrical gremlims on the long run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well from all the info here think i will be going with another kawie again to add to the team green stable. I can get a new in the crate 09 for fairly cheap or go and drop about 3k more on a 11 model. Does the cooling system really suffer on he 08/09 models if things are kept clean and is the front flip up hood design very beneficial on the newer models? Sorry for all the questions but dropping the cash on these makes me want to weigh out my options. Thanks!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Shee, it really depends, do you do more working or playing? If you play more and if you have the budget, check out the rzr XP. That is one bad machine. 900 cc, it is 88hp and lighter than the 1000cc Can-Am and has more power. However, it is about 15k and it is 64 inches wide so that can be an issue depending on where you ride. But already having everything snorkled, long travel and lots of power is a great thing.
I wish Kawi would come up with something similar.....

Good luck in your search.
Chris
Just for your info a 840 Teryx will beat a RZR XP.. Alot cheaper too... I know I ride with one;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has crossed my mind about the BBK. All my kawie bikes in the shop have a trp/fundy bbk of some sort. Thought of just a 820 with the brute or muzzy bevel gear for some extra speed with vfj clutch/spider mods along with the exhaust and msd. Just never ends! Originally if i got one i would keep it all stock! Funny how things change.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just for your info a 840 Teryx will beat a RZR XP.. Alot cheaper too... I know I ride with one;)
an 840 without FCR's and bigger valves will not beat an XP. I know. I have a very strong DASA 840 with stock size valves and mild port and polish (for now anyways :D ) i get my ass spanked in the dunes by the XP's.

·
Registered
375 Posts
an 840 without FCR's and bigger valves will not beat an XP. I know. I have a very strong DASA 840 with stock size valves and mild port and polish (for now anyways :D ) i get my ass spanked in the dunes by the XP's.
I dont have the DASA 840 or FCR's.. And trust me I dont get spanked:confused: I do have a killer clutch setup that puts the power to the ground and a few other mods;) I do have stock valves and stock porting too.. I have seen this on allot of 840's I have ran up against.. Clutching is everything also there allot of people out there with big valves and porting that didnt get the results of a more torquey well matched carbs/exhaust/intake/clutching/tires&rims combo.. Just saying..

·
Registered
282 Posts
I dont have the DASA 840 or FCR's.. And trust me I dont get spanked:confused: I do have a killer clutch setup that puts the power to the ground and a few other mods;) I do have stock valves and stock porting too.. I have seen this on allot of 840's I have ran up against.. Clutching is everything also there allot of people out there with big valves and porting that didnt get the results of a more torquey well matched carbs/exhaust/intake/clutching/tires&rims combo.. Just saying..
u might have a special vfj clutch then... i also have the vfj stage 3 kit with his weight kit that he setup specifically for my 840. i have a bed delete and xmf 2 seat cage with xmf LT. i run skat 8 paddle tires in the dunes with smoothies up front. i cannot keep up (nor can the other teryx's i see in the dunes) with the XP. consider yourself lucky...

·
Registered
375 Posts
u might have a special vfj clutch then... i also have the vfj stage 3 kit with his weight kit that he setup specifically for my 840. i have a bed delete and xmf 2 seat cage with xmf LT. i run skat 8 paddle tires in the dunes with smoothies up front. i cannot keep up (nor can the other teryx's i see in the dunes) with the XP. consider yourself lucky...
Maybe it is just a dune thing:confused: On hard packed surface I beat a stock 900 XP by a couple of bike lengths 0-70mph.. Now I guess if your doing a all out speed run the XP would win.. I top out at 74mph with no overdrive ... I think the XP is around 75 or 76 mph.. I adjusted my clutch multiple times.. Ran a straight line drag with a stop watch untill I got the best time. Left the cover off untill I had it dialed in. I still have the bed on mine and custom tuned my stock carbs.. If you dont believe me check out my you tube video 840 teryx 0-72 going up hill.. The guy that owns the XP wont let me video beating him in a drag race:laugh: I tried..

·
Registered
282 Posts
Maybe it is just a dune thing:confused: On hard packed surface I beat a stock 900 XP by a couple of bike lengths 0-70mph.. Now I guess if your doing a all out speed run the XP would win.. I top out at 74mph with no overdrive ... I think the XP is around 75 or 76 mph.. I adjusted my clutch multiple times.. Ran a straight line drag with a stop watch untill I got the best time. Left the cover off untill I had it dialed in. I still have the bed on mine and custom tuned my stock carbs.. If you dont believe me check out my you tube video 840 teryx 0-72 going up hill.. The guy that owns the XP wont let me video beating him in a drag race:laugh: I tried..
ive watched it! :D it probably is a dune thing... the deep sand robs alot. i have never seen one outside of the dunes...

·
Registered
301 Posts
ive watched it! :D it probably is a dune thing... the deep sand robs alot. i have never seen one outside of the dunes...
Yeah it probably has a lot to do with the sand... Hard packs a little more forgiving with these heavy pigs than sand.

Soon as I get my motor back in my rex I'll have a race lined up with one so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a 2010, never had a heating issue and the hood opening in the front is awesome, plus I love the look! Can you find a 2010 for a good price? Good luck!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts