Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent my first weekend at Brimstone testing the Teryx and checking out all the trails. In the process, we learned that several trails have alternate routes denoted by a "Y". For those of you that have been to Brimstone, you probably know that these trails are more difficult than the original.

The following video shows a Teryx making at run at 75Y with mixed results. I say mixed because the Teryx is toast, but the two guys walked away with nothing more than a couple of bumps and bruises and a severely tightened sphincter. They managed to keep all appendages inside (you can hear me yelling "stay inside") and the roll cage did its job. It bent a center roof support and both front supports, but protected the guys. Ugly roll, but could have been a lot worse...

OK...I haven't made ten posts, so I can't link. Go to YouTube and search TREX BRIMSTONE and you'll see it. Can someone else link it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shanny! Appreciate you posting.

You can't see from the video, but the trail narrows between two trees where there is also a large rock you have to straddle. The roots of the trees are exposed, making it more difficult. They hit the roots and then literally climbed up the tree on the left. Because of the steepness, it didn't take much to get vertical and begin the roll back down.

In addition to the roll cage damage, the bed was completely broken, broke the front left a-arm and crushed the radiator. Both front tires were knocked off the bead and caked with mud around the rims. At that point in the trail, you are 50 yards from the top or a long steep ride back down to Trail 75. We opted to go to the top and winch the Teryx up to tow it back. It took us over 6 hours to get it mobile and up the rest of the hill. Just glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yup, glad no one was hurt! Man there are a lot of videos on youtube from people rolling. A lot is just people being stupid....check out this one!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Holy chit!! Hope they had insurance on that thing.looks like stock cage?? Apparently they had there belts on? Were they stock seat belts?

·
Registered
62 Posts
thats weird you posted, I saw this vid the other day and posted it on my facebook. I have learned to stay off the Y trails at brimstone. I have to much $$$$$ in my machine to chance it. I could tell he either did what you said or tried to run over a narrow tree by the way it just went up like it did. cant believe they didnt fall a leg or an arm with stock belts. I showed that to my wife and she said we are getting harnesses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did someone send it to you or did you pull it off a Polaris forum? The other two guys in the video ride RZR's and I know they posted it as well.

They were incredibly lucky not to have anything more than a few bumps on the head. They showed their wives and won't be riding again any time soon.

Do you think if you install harnesses, you'd have the flexibility to move to see the tires, etc. I'm thinking that when you're crawling over rocks, I'm always leaning out to see where I'm lining up. Harnesses would hold me in too tight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
no I found it on youtube searching for videos. I love youtube. I had the same concern as you but after all I have seen I will get over rocks even if I cant look out. safety first for me. I got to much to loose if I get hurt. ALOT of people up where we ride have harnesses and I have not heard anyone complain about that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is one smart guy. LOL

·
Registered
73 Posts
I could feel myself getting tense during the video. Man that must have been a rough ride down the hill. Glad no one got hurt.

·
383 Posts
I am very glad to hear they made it without any injuries. But knowing that they were not hurt and insurance will pay for repairs, I am sorry to say that this video gets better everytime I watch it. :popcorn: (crunch, bang, smash, whamo) sounds like an old batman episode. :laugh: :beer2:

·
383 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is it just me or RZR riders are a bit....... dumb. LOL j/k

·
383 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
no I found it on youtube searching for videos. I love youtube. I had the same concern as you but after all I have seen I will get over rocks even if I cant look out. safety first for me. I got to much to loose if I get hurt. ALOT of people up where we ride have harnesses and I have not heard anyone complain about that.
I know harnesses are the way to go just a flipside to that coin we saw at St. Jean derby here last summer. 1300 bikes total along the Red river. Rzr (again) pushed up along the edge of an overhanging tree and flipped over upside down into the river. Lucky people were around. Could just barely see all four tires. Would have been pretty hairy for those same guys if they had their harnesses or seatbelts on hanging upside down. One scenario where seatbelts might have made things worse. I'll see if I can find pics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts