Teryx HQ banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took the newly mod'ed Teryx out to one of the local riding spots, and had an amazing time! This thing is just insane in its ability to climb and maneuver. The place we went to (Reiter Pit : Washington) is a collection of logging / mining roads that are mostly rock. Next week I will be more prepared with a trail map and GPS!!

That said, it is apparent to me that given the size of the rocks that I was going over, the potential to blow a tire, or pop a bead is pretty good. I have seen the thread on the onboard CO2 tanks. If you are not using a tank, what are you using? What are the spare tire options that are available? It would be nice to have something that you could mount the tire and jack to, and put in the bed with a temporary connection. I dont plan on going with a 4 seater cage.

Scott...

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Thats a good point, I have seen some people ratchet strap a spair in their bed, or the other option could be to have an extension welded (similar to a two seat rage cage) and have a tire rack actually built into that. There are likely endless possibilities and I have seen the two I mentioned actually done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been looking for a solution to the spare tire problem. I was told by an independent shop that the spare should be a FRONT wheel because the rear wheel won't fit in the front - I guess the wheel well is too small.

I plan to strap it in the bed somehow, perhaps vertically to save room in the bed for other things.

Now, what about a jack???

·
Registered
242 Posts
Now, what about a jack???

Probably go to a wrecking yard and find one of the crank up jacks of you liking. Maybe fab up something to the top of the jack so it can be secured against and A-arm cross tube or spindle or something. Could be stored under the drivers seat along with a lug wrench.

Of course if ya wanted to be hard core you could just get a Hi-Lift jack and bolt it to the roll bar :)

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Buy a portable air compressor that plugs in a accessory power plug, some tire plugs, can of fix a flat and a rachet strap. All fit into a little bag. If a bead pops off wrap the strap around the tire (rolling area) and tighten. Over fill with air until the bead pops in and then de preasurize to the correct amount of air. Sometimes you need a lot of air in it to pop the bead. Done it more than my share out on the trail and it works good. You need to take the weight off the tire to pop it back on the bead.

Here is a link to a few portable air compressors.
Canadian Tire

They often go on sale for less than $20 so they are sort of disposable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see the major tire problems as (1) sidewall rip by a sharp rock (seen lots of them in my (AOR), and (2) bead pop (I'm using reduced pressure to get better sand performance) while climbing narrow, irregular rocky areas.

The recommendation for a 12VDC compressor is a good one, as is the ratchet strap for reinflating a bead-popped tire. However, I think I still need a spare to cover the sidewall rip.

How about the jack? Propping up the rear would be easy if the jack could fit in the hitch receiver! Jacking the front is a little more problemmatic.

Does anyone offer a good jack and tire iron?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there anyone who wants to split a set of four new take-off wheels for a Teryx to get a new spare front and rear wheel? We would split the total cost with shipping, which would be about $165 for each of us for one front and one rear wheel (rim and tire, new take offs) with shipping.

If so, please e-mail me at [email protected] - thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see the major tire problems as (1) sidewall rip by a sharp rock (seen lots of them in my (AOR), and (2) bead pop (I'm using reduced pressure to get better sand performance) while climbing narrow, irregular rocky areas.

The recommendation for a 12VDC compressor is a good one, as is the ratchet strap for reinflating a bead-popped tire. However, I think I still need a spare to cover the sidewall rip.

How about the jack? Propping up the rear would be easy if the jack could fit in the hitch receiver! Jacking the front is a little more problemmatic.

Does anyone offer a good jack and tire iron?
Add a plug kit to the other items and you should be able to fix most sidewall tears............most of the people I jeep with no longer carry spare tires and use the above methods (CO2, strap, plug kit, etc.)

:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is there anyone who wants to split a set of four new take-off wheels for a Teryx to get a new spare front and rear wheel? We would split the total cost with shipping, which would be about $165 for each of us for one front and one rear wheel (rim and tire, new take offs) with shipping.

Ron
You should call the guys at HRT Motorsports. HRT has everything you are looking for.
They have new Teryx take-off tires/wheels.
They have a cool new spare tire carrier for the rear. They also have a cooler rack / storage bin system for the rear of a Teryx.
You can reach them at (760)788-0019

·
Registered
242 Posts
Add a plug kit to the other items and you should be able to fix most sidewall tears............most of the people I jeep with no longer carry spare tires and use the above methods (CO2, strap, plug kit, etc.)

:)
you know, I once plugged the sidewall of a stock 250R tire when I was off for a weekend in the woods and I clipped a rock. It bent the rim and put a huge slice in the sidewall of the tire. My weekend would have been done if it had not been for a plug kit, I put like 5 big plugs in the cut, aired back up and I continued to use that tire for the rest of the weekend. In fact, even though I did replace that rim and tire, it sat out in my garage for several years and it never did leak!

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, not to hijack too much, but here's a few pic's from Payson last weekend. Also I didn't mention, all of us that aren't carrying spares trailered our rigs up there, if I had to drive the Jeep home from Payson I'd want a spare.

Mine

Friends

·
Registered
258 Posts
Problem with the spare tire is it takes up room for BEER!!!:D

I have a plug kit in the glove box and I slimed all my tires. Slim will prevent the thorns/stickers from causing a flat, but sidewall will need plugged and compressor to air back up..

·
Registered
38 Posts

Ron

I would be intrested if I could not find a front take off alone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts