Teryx HQ banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help, We went riding this past weekend and the Teryx did great on Saturday. Come Sunday morning it took 2 hours to get it to fire up, temp was around 20 degrees. After a plug change (plugs were wet), jumper cables, and some ether it finally started then ran good all day. When we got home it wouldnt start and hasnt run since. The battery is fully charged, filter cleaned and still wont hit a lick. Anybody got any suggestions? I was going to check the choke next since I'm smelling gas around it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We pulled the fuel line and turned the moter over. Fuel does come out but I dont know how much is supposed to. I just got done cleaning the carbs and going to change the plugs again and try again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bypassed the fuel pump and gravity fed it and it still wont start. I'm going to check compression and valve clearances before I go any further. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
516 Posts
No Start

Is it totally stock? Dynateks where giving problems. When you say it was 20 degrees out do you mean F or Celius. Even at 20F I would have thought it would start. Maybe check your choke cable to make sure it is operating properly. How many hours on it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
No start

Just some guesses. You mentioned 20 degrees and I assume snowy conditions. Mabey check that the throttle and or choke cables didn't get moisture and freeze. Also whether or not you pulled some snow into your airfilter (wet) and are causing a rich (no air) mixture ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cleaned the carbs, checked to make sure choke plungers were working correctly (had a lot of problems with them on my prairie) swapped the cdi back to stock, and changed the plugs out again. Nothing. I'm beginning to think the valves may be out of adjustment, or I have a sheared flywheel key. I'm going to check this evening. I have the extended warranty on it so I will probably be taking it in Monday after I stay mad at it all weekend

·
Registered
193 Posts
I’m having a bit of the same thing. Most of the time I use the Teryx everyday, and starting seems sluggish for it to fire, but not that much of an issue. But when away from the ranch, it may sit a few days without starting. Yesterday morning I tried to start after sitting for about 5 days. It turned over fine, but just cranked. After awhile I could smell gas. I let it sit for 5 minutes, tried to start again with choke off…it coughed. Finally it started without the choke on, but dies. Tried again and once it barely got started, gave it some choke…and finally it caught and ran.

It obviously had to much gas, but still seem to need choke to run. I think this is spark related. Did the Dynatek CDI not give enough spark to fire it on the initial starting, but it pull gas in finally flooding? Even though it cranked fine, something is going on with these Teryx’s on the spark side, be it low voltage, even though battery will crank or something else. I think the cold aggravates it. It was near freezing that morning, but the Teryx was inside an unheated shed.

Does it need a ‘hot’ battery to work? Does it need the aftermarket voltage change? Does Dynatek need to fix a problem they have with spark delivery? I’m not smart enough to figure it out, I hope someone is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She's headed to the dealer tomorrow. They asked that I take the cdi off before I brought it in and clean it up and they would take care of the rest

·
Registered
293 Posts
hopefully they get it fixed,make sure you tell us what is wrong

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My mechanic, also friend for years spun it over looked at me and said " you havent adjusted your valves have you" I said no and he said I'll have it back to you Tuesday. So it was/is in need of a valve adjustment. Guess that's one of the things you are supposed to do at the 20 hour which I never did. You live and you learn. Thanks for the input guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts