Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been talking to MSD about getting a coil from them to sell instead of the Dynatek. Kinda like someone said, no need in giving them more money.

At his request I took some ohm readings on coils. I only have a 09 now but measured the coils and got a resistance reading of about 2ohms.

Had a Rhino coil from Dynatek and it states .5ohm but it was .9ohm.

So I asked why would it miss. His answer was, the coil driver in the ignition was not strong enough for the stock coil and would be for their coil which has much less resistance. This it can't charge up the coil high enough or quick enough.

I said, shouldn't they have checked that? He said yes but they may have had a Teryx they tested on with a coil with less resistance.

I want to get a coil from MSD to fix this and be less money than the Dyna.

I need help though since I sold my 08.

Someone take a multi-meter and measure the voltage on the two connectors on the coil when you turn the key on but don't start it, just turn key on.

If it measures no voltage then it is a true CDI, if it does measure 12v it is a inductive style. Each one would get a different coil, actually one for a inductive works on both and one for a CDI won't work on a inductive or the other way around.

Please let me know.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Todd, I just checked mine at the coil on the rear cylinder side (working on my clutch) and I got NO DC voltage on the leads coming into the coil. Did I measure at the right spot? You can give me a call on my cell at 951-634-1986

Jim

PS I got .4 ohms on my coil

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Todd, I just checked mine at the coil on the rear cylinder side (working on my clutch) and I got NO DC voltage on the leads coming into the coil. Did I measure at the right spot? You can give me a call on my cell at 951-634-1986

Jim

PS I got .4 ohms on my coil
You measured right on voltage.

Did you measure in same place for ohms?

Maybe we need to get several people to measure the resistance on their coils and see if the differences might be the issue.

Anyone with a multi-meter measure the resistance across the leads on one or both of your coils and report back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I checked mine tonight before I read this. I had 1.6 ohms on the meter. I did not check voltage with the meter. This is strange.. I was on Summits web tonight and they have about 20 pages of coils. I found one that put out about 60K volts, and had about the same resistance. But I dont know if it would charge fast enough.. I will check the voltage tomorrow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I checked mine tonight before I read this. I had 1.6 ohms on the meter. I did not check voltage with the meter. This is strange.. I was on Summits web tonight and they have about 20 pages of coils. I found one that put out about 60K volts, and had about the same resistance. But I dont know if it would charge fast enough.. I will check the voltage tomorrow.
I was just going to order those coils tonight, I will hold off to see if a better coil can be found.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The resistance seems to be the issue. Maybe Dynatek is not really at fault. If their Teryx had a .4 ohm coil and the next one had a 1.4ohm then they assumed they all were like that.

Please more people check theirs and report back.

Remember 08 model only.

Todd

·
Registered
61 Posts
You measured right on voltage.

Did you measure in same place for ohms?

Maybe we need to get several people to measure the resistance on their coils and see if the differences might be the issue.

Anyone with a multi-meter measure the resistance across the leads on one or both of your coils and report back.
I think you should measure the resistance with the coils, unpluged from the primary and secondary. This will give you a true reading.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Todd, yes I measured the same place at the coils for the ohms rating...

And before you ask? Yes I unplugged the leads and then checked ohm rating...I also reversed the leads and checked the ohms again on the discharge cycle...same rating...started at .3 then leveled out at .4...

PS I just checked the other coil...same thing...no voltage...well a leak voltage of .002...and .4 ohms...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'll try to call ACCEL Ignition on Friday. I used to work there (on their DFI fuel injection), and I'll see if I can get the right coil for the Teryx.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Finally i think i got todds attention to check further into the infamous dynatek miss...hopefully he can get everyone e a cheaper solution than 200$ dyan coils...

if i read or have another person tell me its jetting that causes the dynatek cdi miss im gonna snap..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Im at work right now Todd, ill check my stock coils and report back ASAP. So if the stock coils have a high range of tolerance then is it gonna be the people with a lower resistance or a higher resistance having the miss??? PUDDLEJUMPER i know doesnt have the miss with his dynatek cdi...Puddle check your coils for us..

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Finally i think i got todds attention to check further into the infamous dynatek miss...hopefully he can get everyone e a cheaper solution than 200$ dyan coils...

if i read or have another person tell me its jetting that causes the dynatek cdi miss im gonna snap..
It's the jetting!:laugh:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'll check mine tonight, I haven't noticed a miss on mine

Todd - don't mean to bag on you, but the '08 is a CDI ignition system you should never be measuring 12V. If you do, something is very wrong. The CDI should be outputing something in the order of 250V ~ 500V to the coil. BUT if your measuring this voltage it means your engine is on the the coil outputs are in the order of 40kV and VERY DANGEROUS!!! Your '09 uses a TCI (Induction) and that is why you are measuring 2 ohms and the '08 CDI are in the 0.2~0.5 ohm range. If you put the '08 coils in your '09 you'll blow up your TCI in a matter of time as it can't handle the elevated current loads the low resistant coils would produce.

Fletch-c - your coil is bad...1.6 is too high for an '08

·
Registered
54 Posts

I have'nt noticed a miss in mine, I think it may be jetted right.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This might help Todd.
Using the method right from the manual (16-40)
Meter=Fluke 789 processmeter
Temp=63F
(all readings checked numerous times)

Coil #1 primary is .2 ohms
Coil #1 secondary is 4.54k ohm

Coil #2 primary is .1 ohms
Coil #2 secondary is 4.40k ohms

All readings were done cold after sitting overnight. I then hooked everything back up, screwed the caps back in to the plug wires and cranked up my TWO CHANNEL :) A/F meter and went for a long steady cruise. The cylinder that pops appears to always be the #1 cylinder (you hear the pop and see that cylinder go lean when the slide drops). Cylinder #2 is rock steady, no lean spikes when you hear the exhaust pop...I played the run back several times and I see A/F ratio of 11.5-12.2 on both cylinders while steady cruise. and you can clearly see the spike on playback.

I gotta go have lunch with the wifey or she's gonna throw my A/F meter in the Lake. I will swap coils this afternoon and attempt to prove the theory that the pop and lean spikes go to cylinder #2.

I like having days I off from work :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts